Using Penicillin past 4 days

Help Support CattleToday:

PaMike

Reaction score
I have been giving Penicillin to my sick calf for 4 days now. He improved today, but according to the label I shouldnt give more than 4 days in a row. When can I start back up? Will be hurt if he goes for 6 or 7 days on Penicillin? I hate to stop when I finally see improvement.

My vet always has instructed me to use penicillin for 7 days. Less than that and you won't get the full benefit.

PaMike":r3shj9va said:
I have been giving Penicillin to my sick calf for 4 days now. He improved today, but according to the label I shouldnt give more than 4 days in a row. When can I start back up? Will be hurt if he goes for 6 or 7 days on Penicillin? I hate to stop when I finally see improvement.

There are many newer drugs that can be more effective with less usage. What kind of sickness is it?

Scotty

[qit Thats right i had a vet tell me years ago that giving a lot of pen,is usless that it just goes to there kidneys and right out there plumbing

Scotty[/quote]

The only thing I would use Penicillin for would be an infection. If you're using it for pnuemonia, I would suggest an alternative. Baytril or Nuflor would be my first pick.

Penicillin, and any other antibiotic must always begiven for the full treatment period, 7-10 days are usual for penicillin most tetracyclines have a similar length of treatment,which should be indicated on the bottle. Short cutting antibiotic courses leads to resistant strains of bacteria developing, this point was always emphasised both at agricultural college and later, at army medical school.

The hurrier I am, the behinder I get!

Couldn't make much sense out of your post ALACOWMAN, but penicillin works very well for certain infections. I don't know how much goes out the plumbing, but 7 daily injections are recommended. Has PaMike left the building?

Well i was originaly coming in on scottys quote but it got screwed up. what i was saying that a vet told me that loading a animal up with pen. is useless didnt say that it wasnt effective on certain infections .

I don't know about that 48hr pen. that ctlbaron spoke of, maybe that's what pamike had and only 4 injects were needed.

From my bottle of Twin Pen (AgriLabs), penicillin G benzathine and penicillin G procaine, Aqueous Suspension...

DOSAGE: Beef Cattle: 2ml per 150lbs body weight given subcutaneously only (2,000 units penicillin G procaine and 2,000 units penicillin G benzathine per lb body weight). Treatment should be repeated in 48 hours.

IMPORTANT: Treatment in beef cattle should be limited to two (2) doses given by subcutaneous injection only.
And also...

INDICATIONS: Twin Pen is indicated for treatment of the following...

1. Bacterial Pnemonia (shipping fever complex) (Streptococcus spp., Corynebacterium pyogenes, Staphylococcus aureus)
All that said, I have been advised to and have given this particular penicillin 7 days in a row with no adverse effects noted.

Good post , milkmaid. Penicillin also works for foot infections, cuts, scratches, and urinary infections and I don't know what else. I have used it with good results for respiratory infections , but as most of us here know, nowdays there are much more convenient(1 dose) drugs to be used for that. But, the respiratory specific drugs, e.g. micotil, baytril, nuflor, aren't good for the aforementioned ailments.

Latest posts