Using Longhorns for Cross-Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Do You Use a Texas Longhorn for Cross-Breeding?

• Never

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Frequently

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
Malter":3gtjr083 said:
Tell us what advantages Texas Longhorns have over other breeds

Let me begin by saying that some other producers will discredit the merits of Longhorns in favor of crediting their own breed. In this respect I do not want to get into an argument over "who has the most advantages". Given this, here is a thumbnail sketch of Longhorn benefits:

• 1. Low birthweight calves & larger pelvic area for calving
    2. Essentially never have to pull a calf (with rare exceptions)
    3. High disease resistance
    4. Pinkeye not a problem or issue
    5. Very efficient browsers...eat about anything
    6. Gentle, mild-mannered, easy to train with voice commands and hand signals
    7. Excellent predator control
    8. Excellent mamas and milkers, very protective of calves
    9. Early maturity for breeding
    10. Still calving into mid & late teens
    11. Lean, low cholesterol beef

Running Arrow Bill":3iou93yj said:
Malter":3iou93yj said:

Let me begin by saying that some other producers will discredit the merits of Longhorns in favor of crediting their own breed. In this respect I do not want to get into an argument over "who has the most advantages". Given this, here is a thumbnail sketch of Longhorn benefits:

Yep, my murray greys tick all those boxes ...

Keep about 10-12 longhorn cows mixed in with the herd. Crossbreed them to Black Simmental bulls now but have used Charolais in the past. The calves are black and good but the Charolais X may have been as good or better.

I thought Murray Greys was suppose to produce high quailty marbled beef. Doesn't seem to fit with leam low cholestrol beef. Have said it before and will say it agin Longhorn cows with a Limi or Char bull make for some nice calves.

Keren":2aooaoa5 said:
Running Arrow Bill":2aooaoa5 said:
Malter":2aooaoa5 said:

Yep, my murray greys tick all those boxes ...
Except for ther last one so do my Red Angus and crappy crossbreds (with no lh in them)

I thought those long horns might be used for defence. In New Zealand we dont have much in the way of predators that would threaten cattle. Unless of course you count those unwanted Australians called Magpies.

Malter":dky0ygng said:
I thought those long horns might be used for defence. In New Zealand we dont have much in the way of predators that would threaten cattle. Unless of course you count those unwanted Australians called Magpies.
Absence or presence of hourns has no bearing on defence. Attitude and inclination do.

Running Arrow Bill":1k80tpb3 said:
I would like to know how many commercial cattle people use a Registered Texas Longhorn for Cross-Breeding.
I hope the majority here keep on breeding what they want and enjoy it !! :tiphat:
How did I do Dun---??

Red Bull Breeder":3e9unmtr said:
I thought Murray Greys was suppose to produce high quailty marbled beef. Doesn't seem to fit with leam low cholestrol beef. Have said it before and will say it agin Longhorn cows with a Limi or Char bull make for some nice calves.

lol if you get the crappy ones they will tick that last box!!

But yeah, you are right, ours are high marbling, tender, easy to finish animals. And proud of it. Not wasty though.

The point was, RAB was asked what are the advantages Texas Longhorns have over other breeds. So far I can see only one from that whole list he posted. And really, any fullblood euro breed will produce lean, low marbled, 'low cholesterol' beef.

Seems to me that there so many other choices that have the same merits as the TLH's without having to have special handling facilities to accomodate the horns. Brahmans crossed to a variety of other breeds would produce similar characteristics but without the horns problem.

i would'nt use long horn on any thing, but if raised longhorn i would raise keep em as pure as i could. to many beefier type's offered. and face it majority of cattle now days are hand fed in one form or other and rustling grub for them a thing of the past

Running Arrow Bill folks are a going to whomp them old longhorns over the head because ever thing they got just has to be bigger and better than a longhorn.

Red Bull Breeder":upplr3cf said:
Running Arrow Bill folks are a going to whomp them old longhorns over the head because ever thing they got just has to be bigger and better than a longhorn.
if your refering too me,, my shiv a gItter's in the shop for repairs.

he$% so does angus,, and hereford and sometimes your breed limo , simm and chars at times , personally i dont care who likes my cattle as long as the market does, buyer's in my area are tough on cattle. i run a calf through the sale half longhorn i leave there with my ass handed too me

I am one who uses a few longhorns so thrash away. All the way to the bank. Even won the ugly cow contest. I like taking a $300 cow and selling a $450 calf. I have no special headgates and do not do anything special to work them. Just crowd 7 or 8 in the alleyway and work them. Just like I do most of the other cows. Yes I do have many good cows but in the end they do not make any more clear money.

Thats what i have seen with them Kenny Thomas. Couple of people i know got longhorn cows they don't spend no money on them. What the calf brings ain't eat up in feed and fertilize. Cause they don't buy any.

dun":3ikn48kp said:
Malter":3ikn48kp said:
Absence or presence of hourns has no bearing on defence. Attitude and inclination do.

Ive always had a cow or two with horns (Friesian Hereford type) and they sure use them to keep the polled one clear while they get the best of the hay in winter.
One old cow was unapproachable for a week after calving then one could get your hands on her the rest of the year.

Latest posts