Using Ivermectin on cows just AI'd?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
I AI'd my cows a month ago and will be hauling them to pasture in a couple of weeks. Is it safe to give them a dose of Invermectin? You hear all kind of different advise and I don't want to harm the calf, since I only AI and don't have a bull to turn out with them.

Thanks,
Bobg

I just went through the Select Sires AI school, the instructor said no wormers or vaccs close to AI time. Don't know about a month out. You may want to call the Select sire rep in your area.... Seeing you're in Cougar country your rep may even be the instructor, Henry Yeager. You could also ask a Vet, or call the manufactor of the wormer.

Alan

I use Ivomec Gold as standard practice in Feb, two months after the start of breeding season, never had a problem.

The parasites will more likely harm the foetus than the ivermectin.

Alan":6hfz3obh said:
You may want to call the Select sire rep in your area.... Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the info, my Select Sires rep is out of Missoula, his name is Marlin Beck. I buy semen from him so I send him an email and see what his response is.

Thanks,
Bobg

I heard that vaccinations can cause an increase in body temperature since they stimulate a response by the immune system... which can cause early embryonic death.

Wormers should not affect anything in the cow but the worms, unless I'm missing something. I'd say go ahead with the Ivermectin. I've used it within a month of breeding w/no problems (to my knowledge.)

milkmaid":345iipv2 said:
Wormers should not affect anything in the cow but the worms, unless I'm missing something. I'd say go ahead with the Ivermectin. I've used it within a month of breeding w/no problems (to my knowledge.)

What I was told by the Select Sires AI trainer, is from the second the sperm enters the cow until you have a large enough embryo, they are parisites and are likely to die from any paristie control, such as wormer. He said it was not a good Idea. I can worm 9 or 10 other months of the year.

Alan

Alan,

I agree worming and vaccinations should ideally be given 4 weeks before the breeding season, but Ivomec is very safe.

We give a 3% ivermectin in Feb for tick control more than anything else. Redwater (carried by the blue tick) season starts about end of Feb and that WILL cause abortions, if a 3% solution don't cause problems I can safely say the usual 1% will do the foetus no harm.

I have wormed cows and heifers and haven't noticed a problem. I have also heard from others that do it and I have not noticed a problem??

Latest posts