Using expired La200

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
I am looking to give two cows that I believe may have pinkeye an injection of La200. The bottle says it expired in 2014. My question is, is it ok to still use or should I try to get new. Also, how much should I inject? The cow is about 1500 lbs. and the bull is between 2200-2400.

MRRherefords":axga6u23 said:
I am looking to give two cows that I believe may have pinkeye an injection of La200. The bottle says it expired in 2014. My question is, is it ok to still use or should I try to get new. Also, how much should I inject? The cow is about 1500 lbs. and the bull is between 2200-2400.
Sometimes a year past the date is ok, but its even past that...wouldn't gamble on it with the pinkeye...or anything for that matter...

MRRherefords":2scrrox6 said:
How much should I give them? Bull 2200-2400. Cow 1500?
Depending on which you get the bottle will give you dosage per 100 lbs

It is irritant to muscle so if the bottle had been used previously then there is a risk of contamination and injecting into irritated muscle is good for abscess formation.

That bull would be 1000kg so dose is 100ml in 10ml sites.

Ken

It is still effective after the expiration date, but not as, meaning you would have to use more dosage than what's on the label . The longer out of date the more you would have to use. Get drax and nip it.

Because LA 200 or 300 is very irritating and stings like h$@% you would be way ahead to do as the other posters have said and use Draxxin. It is a one shot deal most all the time and it doesn't hurt like the LA does. Sure you have to go to the vet for Draxxin, and yes it costs out the ..... but I had a calf that had it bad in both eyes, walking into things, basically blind. Finally got him caught up at a remote pasture, brought him and his momma to a pasture with a small barn and catch pen, and treated him with draxxin, patched both eyes, kept him in the barn and brought the cow in to him to nurse. 12 hours in w calf, 12 hours out on pasture. There is no water at that barn and a real pain to haul it. After a week, gave him a second shot of draxxin, and then 5 more days later, he had rubbed the patches off and I turned him out with momma. He only has a very small spot in each eye and I would have never gotten that good a result with LA 200 or 300. That's what we always used before. So I would definitely say to get new and use Draxxin. Old LA200 or 300 can be kept and used to treat things like foot rot where aseptic use is not necessary, and you will be doing the treatment several times so the lesser strength from being expired is not as critical.

gizmom":2xsgili5 said:
Would you treat your kids with expired medicine?
Gizmom
Yes, when properly stored... same with milk and food.
But what doctor writes children's prescriptions for antibiotics so large there is any extra left over?
Animals are not children, no matter what 21st century Americans believe.

Son of Butch":255y4d0p said:
gizmom":255y4d0p said:
Gizmom
But what doctor writes children's prescriptions for antibiotics so large there is any extra left over?

Here we have too. My sister being a pharmacist though we usually question her. Only a few medicines lose any of their effectiveness.

I used a 2015 expiration bottle on a pinkeye case last week. I gave the heifer 2 doses, three days apart. I moved her into a pen to keep her in the shade for the first three days. This morning on day 9, all that is left is the blue spot in the middle.

I think putting them in the shade is very important. A patch should do the same. Also the bottle I used has been stored at room temperature. I wouldn't use a bottle thats been rolling around in the truck for a couple years.

Son of Butch":2s58wjyj said:
gizmom":2s58wjyj said:
Gizmom

I took some that had expired in 2012 just 'this morning.

I had a beer that was about ten years old once, pretty skunky won't do that again.

I'd only consider it if it's an unopened bottle.. I have a bottle of Trivetrin that was unopened and expired in 2012 that I opened this year to use on some calves and it worked well... I hardly ever use the stuff so I gotta have a bottle in stock, but to keep an in-date bottle is hopeless

Latest posts