using equine electric tape

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Has anybody use that temporary electric equine tape to keep cattle in. We have a drought going on but I have pastors I haven't used yet that I could let my cattle graze on.

kenny thomas":2kp9181p said:
I use polywire all the time if thats ehat your refering to. Mine is maybe 1" white. Enev use it as an alley to the lot from 2 pastures
Yes that's what I am talking about, it's for pastures to rough to put permanent fence. My cattle will stay in with single wire. What kind of post do you use? Plastic or T post? And I just tie on the hot wire to keep the charge.

I use a quality step in. Mine are probably 10 years old with 0 breakage. Sometimes if it's a corner I use a t post and sometimes just add an extra step in.

If you're moving fence a lot, highly recommend the plastic stepin from kencove.com. They are durable and have nice sized step for hard dry ground. If not moving much, the grey fg stepins at TSC are pretty good but step is so small can be hard to push into hard ground. IMO-Kencove has the best products at very competitive prices and most ship free to your door. I have used the polytape in past but don't like the reduced durability and other issues compared to polywire/twine. I have gone to using the 1/3" polyrope for gates and other places where need higher visibility. Make sure you get a really HOT charger and plenty of ground rods as charger is the heart of the whole system. Skimping on a cheaper charger can make your life miserable.

sstterry":h09vwa2w said:
kenny thomas":h09vwa2w said:
I use a quality step in. Mine are probably 10 years old with 0 breakage. Sometimes if it's a corner I use a t post and sometimes just add an extra step in.

Which step ins do you use?
Mine are either the kincove or one just like them. I will look later and see for sure. But to me if your going to use them long-term buy the good ones.

kenny thomas":1dl6dpg7 said:
sstterry":1dl6dpg7 said:
kenny thomas":1dl6dpg7 said:

Mine are either the kincove or one just like them. I will look later and see for sure. But to me if your going to use them long-term buy the good ones.
Do you order them or is there a local place to buy them. The ones from TSC suck!

sstterry":onni1h9e said:
kenny thomas":onni1h9e said:
sstterry":onni1h9e said:
Do you order them or is there a local place to buy them. The ones from TSC suck!
Yes, I just had one from TSC break today when I was stepping it into the ground. The poly tape works great, cattle wouldn't even get close to it, I guess the hot wire from the other pastures has them trained on anything hanging from a post, or they can smell it.

BK9954":2jf199ws said:
sstterry":2jf199ws said:
kenny thomas":2jf199ws said:
Yes, I just had one from TSC break today when I was stepping it into the ground. The poly tape works great, cattle wouldn't even get close to it, I guess the hot wire from the other pastures has them trained on anything hanging from a post, or they can smell it.
I have had them melt and bend over in the heat, and I live in Tennessee!

Y'alls ground is softer than mine. I use the fiberglass posts with a insulator and beat them in with a hammer every 10 steps. The broken plastic post work really good screwed to trees as an insulator for electric fence.

Caustic Burno":31oraccl said:
One strand electric is not sufficient fence in Texas. It gets really tricky along road right of ways as Texas is a hodgepodge of local county ordinance on fence.

Better read this

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/files/2 ... wnload.pdf

Yes I have read it 20 times before building on my creek, I never could find where it said it was legal to build a 5 strand electric high tensile fence on the road way, only barbed wire. I built a 5 wire high tensile electric on my creek and along the road where it floods anyway, no one said a word. The 1 wire I am using is behind old rusty fence that won't keep cattle in, but this 1 wire will. I have had the county animal control back on my place to look at it. I had a Rouge bull take up on my back acres for a while, he jumped the rusty fence but wouldn't make it through the hot wire for the cows. Had to drag him out with horses and dogs.

BK9954":14g1xpoz said:
Caustic Burno":14g1xpoz said:
It's all about the liability bill.
Like a good neighbor, state farm is there, $8 a month $500,000 liability coverage.

The Texas hammer will have that and what ever else you own.
That low amount State Farm will throw you to wolves and cut their losses.
Doesn't take much in assets to eat that 500k and start on your back pocket.
I would invest a little more and at minimum triple that.

Caustic Burno":1njk4fzw said:
BK9954":1njk4fzw said:
Caustic Burno":1njk4fzw said:
It's all about the liability bill.
Like a good neighbor, state farm is there, $8 a month $500,000 liability coverage.

My cattle won't even get near a hot wire. Done it for a couple years now. My fences are 5 wire and legal, the Texas hammer can hammer this. I had you blocked a while back Ron, I need to contact the admin and see what happened. Time to block you again. Life is short. I got my answers I was looking for, I didn't need you chiming in.

BK9954":evcs7xm6 said:
Caustic Burno":evcs7xm6 said:
BK9954":evcs7xm6 said:

My cattle won't even get near a hot wire. Done it for a couple years now. My fences are 5 wire and legal, the Texas hammer can hammer this. I had you blocked a while back Ron, I need to contact the admin and see what happened. Time to block you again. Life is short. I got my answers I was looking for, I didn't need you chiming in.

Well since you have special cattle that will never get out and get the soccer mom killed, you should just save that eight dollars for toilet paper.

Latest posts