Using different breed bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Are ther any disadvantages/advantages of putting one angus bull and say one charolais bull with 45-50 cows. Intend on putting there calves with some black calves to make a load. I guess what I am asking is does a load sell better, more money, if it is all one color?

i think it would be better to have all angus sired calves but for instance when we sell at the sale barn, black and gray calves are often grouped together because they are assumed to be half angus.

one advantage would be you would know who the father is...

The only problem I can see with that is that the charolais calves are most likely gonna be bigger therefore making your calves a tad more uneven.

Research has shown that semen is competetive. If you had semen from two animals it would compete to get to the egg first and fertilize it, thus raising conception. That is what they said at the ABS AI school I attended in the early '80's.

They group my black calves together most of the time any my cream calves together, and my red calves, and my red/white calves.

Black and cream get almost identical prices. Everything else is just a little lower.

Don't know if that answers you question though.

:p Around here, black or black white face bring more than
the others. I show reg. hereford heifers and want to eventually
raise reg. show hereford calves, but my calves I sale for
feeder calves are all sired by a reg angus bull. They brought
1.20 a pound ( weighed about 500 - 560). :D

If you want a uniform group of calves at the auction mart, I'd stick to two bulls of one breed.

This is one of the reasons I have Char bulls. My cows are a mixed bunch of commercials, and the bulls throw tan or silver calves off the cows.

This way the calf groups tend to be divided for weight, build, and sex...not usually split again for colour.

Just a suggestion. Take care.

If you are putting together a group for an order buyer you might get a discount. Those fellas like all like peas in the pod, an rightly so. If its to the sale barn, I say do what works for you.

Latest posts