Using bands to castrate?

Help Support CattleToday:

Usually about 3 weeks. I can't remember on younger calves, but after weaning, it is right at 3 weeks.

My experiance with banding angus at 5-7 months is it takes 3-4 weeks unless the band has somehow losened or even come off. I had a calf loose his band this year and I didn't notice it for a few days.

seems like in calves 200lbs and over it goes faster small calves that i have banded seems to have taken 4-6 weeks

stillok":3hgjglm9 said:
what is the best age or weight to band calves? Is a month to young?

This is one of those subjects that really "stirs the pot".
Some people band as young as at birth. We band (or cut the too fat scrotumed) at spring work up. Calves range from a month and half to around 2 weeks.

dun

stillok":3ehziduh said:

a month is not too young. we band at birth because we're out tagging & weighing them at that time, anyway. also, they're small & it doesn't seem to set them back as much as when you do it when they're older.

txag":2y8aesvj said:
stillok":2y8aesvj said:

a month is not too young. we band at birth because we're out tagging & weighing them at that time, anyway. also, they're small & it doesn't seem to set them back as much as when you do it when they're older.

I do the same here and think its the easiest on the calves- always have a few with a nasty mother, or latecalvers, or something that I miss- do them when we brand (month or two old)- Think those little newborn ones get less of a setback from it.

we band within a day or so after birth . the only thing is to make sure that both testicles are in the scrotum.