Using an L & H electric brander

Help Support CattleToday:

RCP

Reaction score
I am going to brand my cows with an electric L& H brander, but really don't have enough information or know how. How long should you leave a cherry red iron on a cows hip ? And is there anything you do before or after the branding ?( I know this will get a lot of genius answers. But I'm serious, any kind of salve or anything ?) Thanks in advance, rcp

It depends on several variables, how hot the iron is, how much hair, ect.. You'll get a feel for it, its just one of those hands on learning things. Might get a neighbor to help you with the first few untill you get a feel for it.

If you use a poor on wormer, apply it after branding, some are flamable.

I use a pipe or metal bucket to store my iron in to keep the wind off it so it stays hotter.

I've never really timed it but the first touch is usually just a second or so and then she goes ape $hit for a few seconds and then I brand her once she settles down. Sometimes I have to repeat that process a second time.
I'd guess that a good brand from an electric iron takes about fifteen seconds or so but the goal is to have a nice even tan color that replicates your brand. I fyou run your hand over the branded hide it should make an impression in te skin. If it's long or wide then you may have to rock it back and forth some to get full coverage and if it has a lot of detail or closed letters you might not want to leave it on as long as the heat inside the closed areas can scorch and blur the brand.
The best thing about electric irons is that they heat up fast so you can brand one and if you aren't satisfied you can go right back in and touch it up.
As far as pre or post branding, I don't do anything. If they're really hairy then a clipping in the imediate area helps but isn't a must. Post branding treatment would be counter productive... You want it to scar.

I bought an L&H this spring. I like it. I did practice on a board. I don't think I " stayed on em" long enough. The seem to be growing out of the brand. Probably just hair growing around it. I did not like how trying to " hit one of them again" worked out either. Left a double brand so to say. We sprayed some sort of purple looking stuff over them after we branded them. It was suppose to keep the flys or infection off I believe. Mine heifer calfs did not really jump at all from the branding. Maybe a little but did not really seem to bother them.

Thanks to all ya'll for the information, I guess I will just give it a try and see what happens ?? The way things are being stolen around me I decided to be proactive instead of waiting to be another target. They already got my scrap iron!! RCP

We brand several groups of calves every year. I have an L & H that has to be 15 years old. Out
of 100 head I probably get 10 ugly brands. I used to try to leave it too long and get hide too hot.

We keep a wire brush handy to run over hide to remove manure, etc. and run it over end of iron
to remove hair, etc. You will like the results, its pretty easy.

I can tell you tag glue doesn't brand too well and does burn!

Lane

I have done some in the winter where I clip off the hair at the brand site. This is just with the real wooled up cattle which shouldn't be a problem in your area. I leave it on about 4 or 5 seconds. The hide should be the color of saddle leather. Leave it too long and it will blotch. For instance my brand is a N and that bottom right part of the N will blotch down into the bar if I leave it too long making it too hot in that area. Places in the brand where charactors are close together is where blotching will occur.

Dave":1bjtigxt said:
I have done some in the winter where I clip off the hair at the brand site. This is just with the real wooled up cattle which shouldn't be a problem in your area. I leave it on about 4 or 5 seconds. The hide should be the color of saddle leather. Leave it too long and it will blotch. For instance my brand is a N and that bottom right part of the N will blotch down into the bar if I leave it too long making it too hot in that area. Places in the brand where charactors are close together is where blotching will occur.

You got that right Dave. Good Info.

We keep ours in a bucket of clean coarse sand between cows, it keeps the crud rubbed off the iron!

x2 on the color of saddle leather

workingcattle5.jpg

cow pollinater":1hs7sugy said:
I've never really timed it but the first touch is usually just a second or so and then she goes ape $hit for a few seconds and then I brand her once she settles down. Sometimes I have to repeat that process a second time.
I'd guess that a good brand from an electric iron takes about fifteen seconds or so but the goal is to have a nice even tan color that replicates your brand. I fyou run your hand over the branded hide it should make an impression in te skin. If it's long or wide then you may have to rock it back and forth some to get full coverage and if it has a lot of detail or closed letters you might not want to leave it on as long as the heat inside the closed areas can scorch and blur the brand.
The best thing about electric irons is that they heat up fast so you can brand one and if you aren't satisfied you can go right back in and touch it up.
As far as pre or post branding, I don't do anything. If they're really hairy then a clipping in the imediate area helps but isn't a must. Post branding treatment would be counter productive... You want it to scar.

Yes, yes -- good copper color = good brand

1st touch deadens the nerves, then you can hold it or gentle rocking back forth and within about 10 to 15 seconds you might touch up an edge or so to get the copper color... good to go!