Used Trucks

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
Looking at potentially getting a different farm truck. Our current one is acting up quite a bit. Would love to go the new or barely used route simply because I could get something that would last. However, current finances don't allow that. Anything to be wary of when looking for used trucks, particularly work trucks. I would be getting a dually. Trying to make sure, as best possible, whatever I end up going with is not going to turn into a money pit.

Not sure if your looking for a diesel or not, but I have heard very good reviews about Ford's 6.7L diesel. I work for a truck equipment company and my customers that have them love them.

It's a butt whooping, but can be done if you've got the time and patience. I would not want to be in a hurry buying used. What they are asking for used diesels now is mind boggling, new too for that matter. I got lucky and found what appears to be a good truck. Know the guy who bought it new, and bought it from him when he was going to a ton truck to mate up with his current 28', pulling through hills and curves, and has his eye on a 30'er anyway.
The salesman I deal with at Dodge went to a Ford dealership. I may go visit him there next time.

talltimber":15nmcvq4 said:
It's a butt whooping, but can be done if you've got the time and patience. I would not want to be in a hurry buying used. What they are asking for used diesels now is mind boggling, new too for that matter. I got lucky and found what appears to be a good truck. Know the guy who bought it new, and bought it from him when he was going to a ton truck to mate up with his current 28', pulling through hills and curves, and has his eye on a 30'er anyway.
The salesman I deal with at Dodge went to a Ford dealership. I may go visit him there next time.

My 2015 diesel was worth more than the exact same 2016 gasser when I traded it in - Ford actually owed us $$.

TCRanch":2yq70xnj said:
talltimber":2yq70xnj said:

My 2015 diesel was worth more than the exact same 2016 gasser when I traded it in - Ford actually owed us $$.

Its also twice the truck. Any particular reason you went to the gas engine?

None of us can do, what we cant afford, so don't jump in to something on my advice. I just got rid of an 07 Chevrolet 3/4 ton. I had bought it new in 07. It cost me an actual depreciation $1450 a year to own. Thats actually not bad, and 2 used trucks spanning the same amount of time, may have very well cost me more. Just my opinion, but a new truck is not a terrible investment if you keep a while.

midTN_Brangusman":2ivrqmgf said:
TCRanch":2ivrqmgf said:
talltimber":2ivrqmgf said:

Oh, the drama! The condensed version is a contaminated fuel system.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=104894&hilit=2015+ford+f250+diesel

TCRanch":253rgkij said:
midTN_Brangusman":253rgkij said:
TCRanch":253rgkij said:

The maintenance on the new diesel trucks makes them prohibitive to own. $200.+ dollars to change the oil and filters doing it yourself. The EPA, liberals and dumocrats have ruined the diesel engine.

True Grit Farms":ikst2pk9 said:
TCRanch":ikst2pk9 said:
midTN_Brangusman":ikst2pk9 said:

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... 250+diesel

The maintenance on the new diesel trucks makes them prohibitive to own. $200.+ dollars to change the oil and filters doing it yourself. The EPA, liberals and dumocrats have ruined the diesel engine.

I have a 2014 Ford diesel and can change oil/filter and dpf myself for around a hundred bucks every 5,000 miles. Truck also averages 19-21 mpg highway and city combined. If I have a load to pull it will be behind a diesel :cboy:

midTN_Brangusman":3rfbjvrq said:
True Grit Farms":3rfbjvrq said:
TCRanch":3rfbjvrq said:

I have a 2014 Ford diesel and can change oil/filter and dpf myself for around a hundred bucks every 5,000 miles. Truck also averages 19-21 mpg highway and city combined. If I have a load to pull it will be behind a diesel :cboy:

A gas truck only needs an oil change every 15k miles and it's $40.00 if you bring it to Quick Lube and have them do it. I change the fuel filters when I change the oil. Dirty oil isn't a big deal, dirty fuel will cost you big time.
My 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 will get better fuel mileage than that, but I've deleted it.

True Grit Farms":32svzusm said:
midTN_Brangusman":32svzusm said:
True Grit Farms":32svzusm said:

A gas truck only needs an oil change every 15k miles and it's $40.00 if you bring it to Quick Lube and have them do it. I change the fuel filters when I change the oil. Dirty oil isn't a big deal, dirty fuel will cost you big time.
My 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 will get better fuel mileage than that, but I've deleted it.

I doubt the warranty will cover getting an oil change every 15,000 miles. My point was a gas engine cant compete with a diesel when it comes to power/efficiency.

I doubt the warranty will cover getting an oil change every 15,000 miles. My point was a gas engine cant compete with a diesel when it comes to power/efficiency.[/quote]

I don't know nothing about warranty. But a diesel truck has the power and a Ford has the most. But efficiency? A gas truck will beat a diesel truck every time on cost per mile. And most of the time a gas truck will beat a diesel truck on cost per mile by 50%. The only time a diesel truck is more cost efficient is towing 10k lbs plus, otherwise a gas truck eats our lunch. I'm using a Hemi powered Ram for comparison. Because M5 and my brother both have well over 100k miles on their trucks and keep good reliable records on the operating costs.

I hear a lot about these new gassers. How much can you really tow reasonably with them? Say a ton dually with gooseneck.

I don't think I'd be getting one of these newer diesels either, and for the very reason that the repair costs are absolutely prohibitive. I can build myself a completely new Cummins 5.9 for less money than a few fuel system problems in the new trucks. Definitely agree that unless you're really working the truck, the gasser will do the job for less money..

True Grit Farms":3fpdtof8 said:

I'd love to see an oil sample pulled from a gasser with 200k on it using 15k intervals.

I hear everyone talk about what great mileage their Cummins trucks get, but I'm sure not impressed with mine. It's an '07 3500 manual with the 6.7 deleted and averaged 13 mpg bobtail between here and Colorado last September. Grossed 32k from KY to here last spring and it got a whopping 7 mpg, but in it's defense it was passing road tractors going up the hills in TN. Those are all hand calculated, the computer usually adds about 2 mpg to those figures trying to make me feel better.

cfpinz":pco1aivb said:
True Grit Farms":pco1aivb said:

I'd love to see an oil sample pulled from a gasser with 200k on it using 15k intervals.

I hear everyone talk about what great mileage their Cummins trucks get, but I'm sure not impressed with mine. It's an '07 3500 manual with the 6.7 deleted and averaged 13 mpg bobtail between here and Colorado last September. Grossed 32k from KY to here last spring and it got a whopping 7 mpg, but in it's defense it was passing road tractors going up the hills in TN. Those are all hand calculated, the computer usually adds about 2 mpg to those figures trying to make me feel better.

This is the first truck that I've been able to adverage 20+mpg. It's a single wheel long bed crew cab 4x4 3500 with 3.42 gears. To get 20k lbs moving you start off easy then once you get to 10 mph it's race on, I'm very impressed to say the least. But my 2011 dually with 3.73 gears adverage 14 mpg and 17+ on the highway.
cfpinz you must have a 4.10 gears and a flat bed bed? I can relate to the 7 mpg pulling heavy. Towing 30k I get 8 mpg and 25k 9 mpg wind drag kills my fuel mileage.

True Grit Farms":ypcvqyoo said:
This is the first truck that I've been able to adverage 20+mpg. It's a single wheel long bed crew cab 4x4 3500 with 3.42 gears. To get 20k lbs moving you start off easy then once you get to 10 mph it's race on, I'm very impressed to say the least. But my 2011 dually with 3.73 gears adverage 14 mpg and 17+ on the highway.
cfpinz you must have a 4.10 gears and a flat bed bed? I can relate to the 7 mpg pulling heavy. Towing 30k I get 8 mpg and 25k 9 mpg wind drag kills my fuel mileage.

Is yours an automatic or manual? Dad bought a '15 single cab long bed 3500 srw manual and it's got the 3.42's, I hate that thing. Seems like it'll run 70 in reverse.

Mine has the 3.73's, just about ideal for the engine but I wish the transmission had a little lower 1st and reverse was cut by at least half. And yes, it's a steel flatbed. If you let the rpm's get too low in 4th gear and mash it, it'll break the stock clutch loose. Pretty impressive engine, just wish they'd put it in a real truck.

Latest posts