Used Tractor Around $30K

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
I've decided it's time to upgrade to a new (to me) tractor. I'm looking in the 80-120HP range. My only local dealer is Massey Ferguson & New Holland so I'd prefer to stick to one of those two manufacturers. He has a like new '10 Massey 4WD 2680HD with FEL & 2 remotes for $29,900. That's about the only tractor he has that I have any interest in & I don't want to get stuck on it just because it's close & available.

The tractor must have a FEL. Other than that its main use will be haying, mostly small squares but I need to be able to pull a round baler as well. I live in hilly country so I need something with plenty of weight & plenty of muscle. I don't particularly care about a cab.

I understand that there's no perfect piece of equipment but I want to seek some wisdom good & bad from the group here. I'm open to any & all suggestions. And as I said in the title $30K is my budget limit.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I know nothing about the newer Massey Ferguson. But I saw one at the GCA convention and it was 90hp with a 3 cylinder diesel. And that was enough for me, I'd look at New Holland.

True Grit Farms":3o5f2a2h said:
I know nothing about the newer Massey Ferguson. But I saw one at the GCA convention and it was 90hp with a 3 cylinder diesel. And that was enough for me, I'd look at New Holland.

Seems like modern horsies are all smaller than they used to be ;-)

That said, I must say I'm impressed with the 4cyl in my Kubota. At 375 cubic inches making 105 PTO HP, it has more displacement than a 5.9L Cummins 6cyl :eek:

Engine hp and PTO hp are different and can vary widely between mfgs.PTO is what you will be using.Ex. NH sells a tractor with @70 hp engine which has 57 PTO
If you are doing 4'X5' bales,its probably enough unless you have hilly land then weight will play a factor as well.If you are using a FEL to move bales weight really comes in to play when stacking.Don't lift bales too high ultil you get some experience and then with all due caution.

Should check on having an aux. hyd. added to front loader so you could get a grapple bucket they are very handy to have

I have a 2012 new Holland t 5060 .. 600 hrs on it .. 4x4 fel extra hydro.. cab air .gonna be selling her soon .. I bought it to bale hay but sold the hay equipment .. I really don't need anything that big to mow and put out hay for the cows.. I have a 85 horse Kubota before but sold it due to it being so lite .. the new Holland is 5 or 6 k pounds heavier .. that makes a big difference on ride as well as pulling a disc.. Probably asking a bit more than 30 though .. gotta get her apraised..

Latest posts