used squeeze chute pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

FLJoe

Reaction score
I have used a head catch with corral panels for several years with good success. However, this year I have decided to upgrade to a squeeze chute. I am currently shopping for a used one in my area, manual/nonhydraulic. What can I expect to pay for a used one that is in good to fair shape? Thanks for your help as always!

Unless you get lucky, around here a used chute that works but needs some work will run 75-85% of the equivilent new one. About the only real savings is sales tax. One that is in really good shape, i.e. no significant rust, bent/broken/seized up parts will be within a hundred bucks or so of a new one.
And at an auction, they frequently sell for 10-15% more then a new one.
Never have figured that one out!

dun

FLJoe":20kz2g0d said:
I have used a head catch with corral panels for several years with good success. However, this year I have decided to upgrade to a squeeze chute. I am currently shopping for a used one in my area, manual/nonhydraulic. What can I expect to pay for a used one that is in good to fair shape? Thanks for your help as always!

Bought a new generic brand head catch a few months ago and busted the latching mechanism on the first batch that came through. You get what you pay for? Now I've gotta take the thing off and bring it to the shop to weld in a real mechanism. Wish I would've spent the extra hundred bucks in the first place.

Many, many years ago I got a real good buy on a brand new WW. Only problem was it had been dumped off of the truck onto the left front bottom corner while being unloaded. After fighting it for a couple of years, I cut it completely apart and rewelded it back so that everything lined up properly. Probably spent more in rod and metal then the thing would have costed undamaged.

dun

D.R. Cattle":38dn0nmj said:
Bought a new generic brand head catch a few months ago and busted the latching mechanism on the first batch that came through. You get what you pay for? Now I've gotta take the thing off and bring it to the shop to weld in a real mechanism. Wish I would've spent the extra hundred bucks in the first place.

Good luck finding used equipment! Most of the good used stuff gets sold to neighbors / friends before it ever hits the newspapers or anything.

I have been going to auctions since before I started my business, 15 yrs ago. I have found some great deals at some of them, but I probably haven't bought anything at an equipment auction in 5 yrs. I tooled up my first shop almost completely with used items I had purchased. But it seems that the past few yrs, every auction is being held on a Saturday, and every Tom/Dick/Harry shows up with the wife & kids in tow and has no idea what the stuff is worth. They bid the prices way up over what it's worth, especially since you never know if it works or not. I have gotten to where I don't go to any auctions unless they are held during the week, when the average Joe is working and it's mostly guys who know what the stuff is worth and keep the prices reasonable. Another trend I've noticed is the auctioneer charging a $200 deposit to register. That also keeps the browsers away sometimes!

Auctions around here remind me of the storys about hangings when folks for miles around would show up. Seems like it's a days cheap family entertainment!

dun

eric":5mdy2ymt said:
and every Tom/Dick/Harry shows up with the wife & kids in tow

Watch out for bargins! I bought an old [25 to 30 yr old] squeeze chute two years ago...Perfect shape, used under roof, hot dipped galvanized.
$350. Thought I did well, hitched it up and brought it home. Tore out my old setup [headgate mounted to cornerposts] and wheeled my new fancy squeeze chute into place. Trouble was, cattle have changed...a lot in the last 30 years. Wide open, my cows could hardly fit in the chute and none of them could get through the head gate in the open position. I had to dump them out the side. After much cutting and welding, throwing away the headgate and welding my old one in its place, messing with it 6 months.... It now works, just OK. I've figure I've got a thousand in material, sweat and blood in that sucker. Wish I'd bought a new one.

Hehe! I got a kick out of reading the previous posts on this issue! BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

Buy a new one.. they are well worth the price, and you'll use it forever if you take care of it.. keep the moving parts greased, etc.

You saked what you could expect to pay. One that is in reasonably working condition that can be moved without falling apart should run in tha area of 1500.00 dollars.

Preifert has what they call an economy chute that only comes with the manual headgate. Usually for the dollar difference between the manual and auto catch they will change the economy chute to the auto catch. We looked at their top of the line and the economy one and frankly I refer the convenience of the economy one. Their expensive one has a pedal that opens the off side, I don't have the weight to make it work and I crack my shins on it regularly. I also prefer the side sliding tail gate, easier to work for me. Preifert makes really good equipment and they're willing to work with the producer and seem to sincerely want you to be happy with your equipment. Now for the caveat, look at as many different brands and models as you can. Don't pay too much attention to dollars, frequently you can get a bit of deal from the suppliers. Decide what functions/features are really important and what ones you like the way they work. I looked at a great chute the other day and had a headgate that works the way I prefer. The problem was the operating handle sticks out from the side at a 90 degree angle from the chute and is perfectly positioned to wack your head on anytime you walk past it.

dun

Guest":8nhyv7p3 said:
Sorry for the delay getting back but it is the model 93.

what are the advantages of a squeeze chute? I have slide gates in my working chute..at the head gate portion the chute the side will open....we dehorn, palpate, work on cattle's feet..castrate..if it is better i'd consider it..not being contrary, just ignorant...is it better?? my vet friend has a squeeze chute and when i help him i don't see a big difference in the use of it...although all i do is run the cattle in the chute..

Most time you don't even use the squeeze feature. If a cow is particularly unruly or if we're working on feet we squeeze them. The rest of the time it's just something to fasten the head gate to and to close them in at the rear.

dun

DRB":mg6c9ove said:
what are the advantages of a squeeze chute? I have slide gates in my working chute..at the head gate portion the chute the side will open....we dehorn, palpate, work on cattle's feet..castrate..if it is better i'd consider it..not being contrary, just ignorant...is it better?? my vet friend has a squeeze chute and when i help him i don't see a big difference in the use of it...although all i do is run the cattle in the chute..

Most time you don't even use the squeeze feature. If a cow is particularly unruly or if we're working on feet we squeeze them. The rest of the time it's just something to fasten the head gate to and to close them in at the rear.

dun

DRB":i6n7an8c said:

Latest posts