Used Skid Loader

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Anybody have a recommendation for used skid steers in the $5-$6.5K range? Can I get one worth the money that won't need a bunch of work in that range? Any particular models to look for or steer clear of? I looked at a Bobcat 440B, 1996 model that seemed reasonable and was in that range with a reasonable number of hours, but I'm not real familiar with them. Seems like it might be a cheaper alternative than another tractor for what I need it to do.

I think you'll need to spend 2-3,000 more to get a decent machine.Alot of them have really been worked over be sure to look them over real well. How much lift do you need? And what do you plan to use it for?

It "might" be a cheaper alternative, and then again, it might not be. I had one for some time and it was very handy, however the slow ground speed was a big drawback.

Maybe feed silage, drop 4-1/2X4-1/2 round bales into feeder and clean up manure around the feeder and in a loafing shed, all on packed gravel or concrete (old dairy). Maybe an hour run time a week, mostly in the winter. Have access to a bigger skid steer, backhoe and loader tractor when I need them, but this is far enough away that I don't want to run the tractor that far regularly or drag a trailer. Just want something I can leave there so I have it when I need it. I've been putting the bales in the back of my truck and shoving them off the tailgate into the fenceline feeders, but my back no longer seems to care for that. Hoping I can find something that I can sell for close to what I pay for it if things change in a few years, and I also don't want a bunch of money tied up in something I can't keep an eye on. Just not sure where the line is.

I would try to buy a good machine, and that might run 15,000. Those things start at 30 K, new. If you have low use, it will be worth 7500 when you are done with it. Do maintenance--don't do repairs.

I have a 99 new holland lx665 turbo 1500 hours I'll sell you for $9,000.

I have a case 1845 it is very useful. We load round bales out in field, stack in barn, pick up rocks. fill holes in field and most we have a auger that will drill in hard dirt if you can keep teeth on it. Real handy building fence. You will have to spend 10 to 12 thousand to get a good one. Be sure not to buy one that has had a rock hammer or used in a feed lot.

Found one for $7K that I think will do the job. Bought it from a retiring farmer who kept it as his last piece of equipment until the week before he moved to town. 1300 hours and only a couple of minor issues. I told him I'd never put another 1300 hours on it. He told me that I'd never be without one after I had one. After just a few days of having it, I'm betting he's right.

Now I need a bale spear...and a bigger manure spreader.....and a hydraulic auger.....and a log splitter........this thing is going to cost me a fortune. :D

jkwilson":3kx2zz0n said:
Found one for $7K that I think will do the job. Bought it from a retiring farmer who kept it as his last piece of equipment until the week before he moved to town. 1300 hours and only a couple of minor issues. I told him I'd never put another 1300 hours on it. He told me that I'd never be without one after I had one. After just a few days of having it, I'm betting he's right.

Now I need a bale spear...and a bigger manure spreader.....and a hydraulic auger.....and a log splitter........this thing is going to cost me a fortune. :D
Don't forget a hydrualic shredder, they are nice in thick stuff.

Latest posts