Used Paul Livestock Scale

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
Looking at a used Paul Livestock Scale - 300 series - capacity 3000lbs. 1985 version, but still in fair to good shape. It does not have the wheel kit on it but factory says they can add that to make it portable - which I need. Looking at $1500 for the scale and another $1600 for the wheel kit. Anyone have any ideal what a portable scale normally sells used for? Thanks.

If this is a "portable" type scale, then their asking that much for a 1985 model (23 years old) seems a bit much. And $1600 for a "wheel kit"...again a touch outrageous unless the "kit" is self-propelled with an A/C enclosed cab...lol.

Not famililar with the Paul brand; however, again, seems a bit much for an old scale...JMO.

I bought a new portable tru-test (with the cage deal) last year for $2800

For less money you can buy a set of digital load bars. Put them under squeeze or build a platform and use them in a chute.
I was given an old Paul beam scale that did not work. I was going to buy load bars until I found that it worked just fine after cleaning 20 years of manure out from under it.

novatech":24auroms said:
For less money you can buy a set of digital load bars. Put them under squeeze or build a platform and use them in a chute.
I was given an old Paul beam scale that did not work. I was going to buy load bars until I found that it worked just fine after cleaning 20 years of manure out from under it.

I've messed with the old bean style scales over the years. The digitals that can lock on a weight are just so much easier and faster to use and all you have to do is read numbers you don;t have to mess with the weights.

I agree that the digital are easier to use and cheaper than a portable balance beam scale.

However having had three sets of digital scales go out on me, i like the idea that i can work on a balance beam scale and make it weigh.

If it is weigh day and that digital goes out then you are pretty well not weighing that day.

I had one that i bought and when it went out I would pull it out from under the platform and box it up and ship it to manufacturer and they would send me a rebuilt one. But then that company got bought out by another company and they wanted more to fix mine than I paid for it.

Have a digital now that weighs well but will not stand any water so moving it in the rain will mess it up for days until it dries. I learned not to move it when raining.

I would love to have a Paul portable but cannot even find a used one for less than 2500.00 around here and that is a bit much to weigh 40 calves a year. the digital I am currently using cost five or six hundred if I recall correctly.

dun":14xgn06v said:
novatech":14xgn06v said:

I've messed with the old bean style scales over the years. The digitals that can lock on a weight are just so much easier and faster to use and all you have to do is read numbers you don;t have to mess with the weights.
I'm with you on that. But until I can save up enough pennies I'll have to make do for now.

TNMasterBeefProducer":277n83s8 said:
[I agree the digital scales are cheaper and they are the greatest thing to hit the cattle market since spreadable butter. My philosophy is why pay all that money for a portable one when you can have a stationary one on the working chute or offset of the working chute like mine is that does the same thing and is actually faster.

Nice set-up. I have also considered the stationary ones, but struggle with the idea of handling and transporting cattle from multiple locations to a central scale, and then back again.

Conagher":127bqbp5 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":127bqbp5 said:
[I agree the digital scales are cheaper and they are the greatest thing to hit the cattle market since spreadable butter. My philosophy is why pay all that money for a portable one when you can have a stationary one on the working chute or offset of the working chute like mine is that does the same thing and is actually faster.

Nice set-up. I have also considered the stationary ones, but struggle with the idea of handling and transporting cattle from multiple locations to a central scale, and then back again.

Ours is portable but it's permanently mounted. The beauty of the mobile ones are that they can be treated as stationary OR mobile. Moving a stationary one is just to much of a pain in butt for my taste.

Latest posts