Used motor oil and Remedy

Help Support CattleToday:

KenB

Reaction score
I was wondering if used motor oil mixed with 1/2 diesel would work when mixed with Remedy or any other herbicide?

What got me to thinking about it was the oil should stick to the tree trunk better than straight diesel. Plus it would put the used oil to good use.

I would filter the used oil first or let it settle in a container an dthen pull you oil to mix with off of the top or you can clog up tips pretty darn quick.

Please don't. Used motor oil has all kinds of nasty stuff in it, pleas don't apply it to the environment. Putting it on wood, I can accept but don't spray it all over the place.

I am touchy about this because of the IDIOTS that think nothing of changing thier oil at the end of our road. Admittedly it is a nice spot to work - big oak, not too much traffic, but they drain their frigging oil right on to the ground! If I ever catch one of these mofos I am going to shoot his tires out and set his vehicle on fire. After I make him scrape up the oily dirt and eat some of it.:mad:

oh sorry, rant off. :oops:

I bet it like so many others things and products would be much clearer if you read the instructions. Read and call the manufactorer for directions.

KenB":3d9mjzce said:
I was wondering if used motor oil mixed with 1/2 diesel would work when mixed with Remedy or any other herbicide?

What got me to thinking about it was the oil should stick to the tree trunk better than straight diesel. Plus it would put the used oil to good use.

I wouldn't use used motor oil because of the ramifications if the EPA ever got wind of it. Also, I would not use diesel fuel because diesel fuel tends to eat the rubber gaskets/seals in sprayers. We use empty drip oil buckets to help the spray to better adhere to the plants, plus the buckets allow us to transport water when we need to mix several sprayers (Canadian thistle, sand burrs, cockleburr) for spot spraying in fields away from the house when necessary.

I think Ken is talking about basal spray specific plants with 1/2 used motor oil and 1/2 diesel to cut on costs, since diesel is so high.

The problem, Ken, with used motor oil is the soil retention of it. Diesel won't stay in the soil for nearly as long. Oil is considered an environmental hazard.

I contacted Dow chemical about using used vegetable oil, instead of diesel for the same reason. I was thinking I could get it free from the McDonalds in town. They said they never tested it, but if I did, would I let them know what my results were. I never did "test" it for them.

Just my thoughts on it.

Dusty Britches":7pcm0ihi said:
I think Ken is talking about basal spray specific plants with 1/2 used motor oil and 1/2 diesel to cut on costs, since diesel is so high.

The problem, Ken, with used motor oil is the soil retention of it. Diesel won't stay in the soil for nearly as long. Oil is considered an environmental hazard.

I contacted Dow chemical about using used vegetable oil, instead of diesel for the same reason. I was thinking I could get it free from the McDonalds in town. They said they never tested it, but if I did, would I let them know what my results were. I never did "test" it for them.

Just my thoughts on it.

I think you're right about trying to stretch the diesel. But with a basal spray you don;t use all that much unless you're killing an entore forset. At the cost of Remedy, the diesel is pretty small potatoes to insure that it works like it should

dun

try simply using 1 oz of dishwashing liquid per 5-10 gal of spray....it makes the stuff adhere to just about anything, and keeps the enviornment safe....send the oil for recycling as it can be used many times.

Latest posts