Used loader tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I read the previous thread on loader tractors. I'm in the market to replace my 756D Int'l. Great tractor, but getting worn out. also it's 2WD & I'm really looking forward to a 4WD.
I use the tractor 99% of the time to feed baleage - front & back. I do 90% of the feeding by myself. So STARTABILITY is super important.
I'm leaning towards the Case Maxim (sp?) (edited) - looking in the 25K range, less would be awesome. Must have cab, 4WD.
Locally, I've found a 96 JD 5500 with cab & loader $19,900 and a 98 NH TL70 $24,500, c & l.
Any comments on the sturdyness & start up on these two tractors?
Yes, I've been looking in US Farmer & TractorHouse. Not opposed to buying oos.

I don't know as much about the JD's, but the NH TL series is a good tractor. You can go to tractor data.com and look up all the specs. the one thing I like about NH is that their front ends are are rated for more weight that most others including JD. Also the rear lift is as strong as any competitor.

I edited my post - didn't mean to put Magnum (couldn't afford them & too big) I meant the Mx 5130, etc.
The NH has 1668 hr - pic looks good. Glad to hear they are rated good on front end. That's a big concern hauling 1400# bales around rough ground.
Anyone have comments on the MX series vs this NH TL70?? It's here in NY but a few hours away. Want to check out my options before "road trip".

It doesn't show the front-end rating on tractor data, but you can go to the new holland site, pick one that is similar(they still have the tl series I believe) and compare it with other brands. Usually the lift is as strong or stronger than anyone else's. You will notice that the front-end rating is ususally quite a bit higher than others including JD,. They usually don't rate as high. It doesn't matter that much unless you are lifting roundbales or using a bucket. If you are, that is one of the first ratings I look at.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":xd6g89va said:
I edited my post - didn't mean to put Magnum (couldn't afford them & too big) I meant the Mx 5130, etc.
The NH has 1668 hr - pic looks good. Glad to hear they are rated good on front end. That's a big concern hauling 1400# bales around rough ground.
Anyone have comments on the MX series vs this NH TL70?? It's here in NY but a few hours away. Want to check out my options before "road trip".

Jeanne

Your Case is smaller than the one we use - we use a 5250 with FEL - FWD and cab

No matter what you use - be sure the front tires are pumped up a bit - bales can be heavy.

I generally carry two 6 foot bales on the front and if the load is placed right I sometines carry three - two on one. It does make the back end light so I just go slow.

So be sure to have a back stop on the loader if you are going to carry more than one. Seen them roll back and down to the cab if they come over the top when you lift the bales up and one comes "un-forked" - not usually a prob with a self leveller - but it can happen if you are not paying attention or moving stacked big square bales.

The 5250 runs fine in all weather - just service it and plug it in when it gets cold.

No matter what you buy be sure there is lots of tire left - good tires are expensive.

You can buy green, red or blue and even orange - if you get a good one you will be happy - if you get a bad one (they come in all colours) you will not be happy.

If buying from a dealer - rent it for a month or two. If you take it - the rent comes off the purchase price - that way you will know what you are getting. You might be happy you rented first!

Take care

Bez+

Bez - rent, huh? What a great idea!! hadn't heard that before. Not sure if it's done around here, but I'll check it out. Been doing some phone calling checking on the TL70. They moved it to their dealer that's lots closer AND they lowered the price to $19 - looking a lot better already! I know someone who WORKS at that dealer - so I'm putting a call in to him.

the HP and price on these tractors are
NH TL 70 56hp pto price $25900-$28300 made from 1999 -2001

Jd 5500 73hp pto made 1996-1997 price $19800-$23000

Case 5120 77hp pto made 1990-1992 price $13000 -$15700

these prices are based on 300 hrs per yr and no loaders add $3500 to NH with loader,$3360 for JD and $2600 for the case

sounds like you need to go with the tt75 nh.ive checked prices new an used on those tractors w/o cabs an loaders 4wd.an the prices i got new was $19000 an $26000.used tractors are somewhat cheaper an have the loader an cab for $25000 to $30,000.

We have a JD 5510 2wd, great tractor and easy to start if you keep the block warmed up. I use a magnetic pan warmer and it starts with no problems. Only things I don;t like about is that when I'm hauling big bales I can;t stand up to see over them and the cab isn;t big enough for the dog to ride on the floor so he sits in my lap.

Hey Jeanne! Knowing where you live you may want to take a look at a green machine, they're heavier in the back end and that equals stability, if you're used to 2wd and go to 4wd you'll get places you couldn't before but that is when you'll find out if the tractor can handle it (and you don't add any ballast to the tractor!) I'd steer clear of the 5130 CIH, transmission trouble all the way.

NH make a very price competitive machine and if you're looking at 20k for a 10 year old used machine you might want to price out a new machine with 0% for 4 years and the old tractor as a trade in. We traded our JD2350 for a NH TN95A a couple of years ago, and other than adding a few wheel weights to the back end it is an excellent machine, starts up on even the coldest days, fast a he!! on the road!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":28cd3mbj said:
Bez - rent, huh? What a great idea!! hadn't heard that before. Not sure if it's done around here, but I'll check it out. Been doing some phone calling checking on the TL70. They moved it to their dealer that's lots closer AND they lowered the price to $19 - looking a lot better already! I know someone who WORKS at that dealer - so I'm putting a call in to him.

I used to run a pretty big CASE IH outfit in Alberta a lot of years ago - we would rent out tractors to serious buyers - not lookie loos.

You learn who is who in the zoo pretty quick.

If they liked it and bought it we subtracted the rent money off the purchase price. If they brought it back we reduced the price of the tractor by a portion of the amount of rent money we made.

We always made more cash money on rent than we did on re-sale - so we liked to do this.

Used to move a lot of tractors - especially the used stuff. The real tough equipment would go to auction if it sat in the yard for more than four months.

The way the economy is today you might be surprised at the deals you can wrangle. Use your imagination.

To a sales guy on a small basic salary, a draw (he might be in the negative) and around 2.5% commission, a sale is a sale is a sale. He might even help you a bit with some ideas. All you have to do is ask!

Real small dealers may not have a floorplan financed by a major credit company - they may buy and sell out of their bank account. But the big boys play with finance companies - they do not like to use their own money - so, the more used equipment in the yard, the more finance charges for long term "in the yard" pieces. They are expensive and need to be moved.

True triple net profit on equipment is not as high as people think - they need to move equipment to keep the cash flow going. In tough times the major players put out some pretty good programs for the dealers - lots of behind the scenes discounts. You might ask about any new programs coming out from Case, NH and JD for new equipment - sometimes the dealer will pass them on - sometimes not.

Never hurts to ask about "programs". If they play dumb - get up and walk out - you do not want to deal there - no matter how good you think they have been in the past.

If a tractor has been sitting in the yard for more than six months - depending on the Brand - good chance the dealer is paying some sort of financing on it - he will want to move it as it is costing him money. If you see a lot of pics of tractors with grass around them in the advertisements next spring - just after the snow is going - you know he will be getting hungry to move them. They sat there all winter and cost him money.

Have fun

Bez+

Grubbie, thanks for the site - found 2 Kubotas couple hours away.
Bez - The NH TL70 is on a JD dealership lot. They've had it since sometime last summer. Was priced at $26,500 - then $24,500 - now $19,000 . I think they are anxious to get rid of it. Told me the name of the previous owner - 1 owner, 2 brothers put up hay. Went looking for a new baler, JD made them an offer on new tractor they couldn't refuse with trade-in. Might get to see it tomorrow. If it's want we want, plan on offering $15. See how much they choke. They've put new front tires, new fender & new starter on it. They are willing to deliver here for us to TRY OUT - after we eyeball it.
Robert - all the Maxxims have transmission trouble or just the 5130?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3vuzmw41 said:
Grubbie, thanks for the site - found 2 Kubotas couple hours away.
Bez - The NH TL70 is on a JD dealership lot. They've had it since sometime last summer. Was priced at $26,500 - then $24,500 - now $19,000 . I think they are anxious to get rid of it. Told me the name of the previous owner - 1 owner, 2 brothers put up hay. Went looking for a new baler, JD made them an offer on new tractor they couldn't refuse with trade-in. Might get to see it tomorrow. If it's want we want, plan on offering $15. See how much they choke. They've put new front tires, new fender & new starter on it. They are willing to deliver here for us to TRY OUT - after we eyeball it.

Beware of blanket statements Jeanne. Believing a blanket statement is lik saying all Simm and Limo are cattle are wild.

I use a Maxxum that goes strong - different model - more HP and size I agree - but .......

Like I said before - when it comes to used equipment:

You can buy green, red or blue and even orange - if you get a good one you will be happy - if you get a bad one (they come in all colours) you will not be happy.

That is why I like to have it on the place for at least a month before I make a decision.

Your sales guys will be happy to see it in your yard - they know they are one step closer to making some money. The dealer may lose overall but the commission still goes to the salesman.

Do not try it for a day - you want it for a month. A shorter period if you are going to make some serious use of it - but I suspect you will not put more than 30 hours on it in total for one month use at this time of the year. You are willing to pay if necessary - but if you take it you want the rent cost off the final agreed price.

Make sure it does not use oil, make sure the radiator does not go down. Put clean carboard under it at night to catch leaks. Keep a pen and paper in the cab for quick notes on the good, the bad and the ugly.

Use this for bargaining in the final price - or getting fixes made BEFORE you spend your money.

Remember in this day and age it is you in the drivers seat - once you spend the money you are out of there and into the passenger seat.

Have fun

Bez+

Bez+":2e8e9es3 said:
Do not try it for a day - you want it for a month.
When I bought the JD 5510 I put 750 hours on it before I decided. Used it for everything that I could think of that I would ever need it for. Then I had them take it back to the shop and fix the little problems, it needed a clutch and the A/C fixed. When it was done I got it back at the same price they quoted me and they gave me within a thousand bucks or so of what I paid new for my Farmtrac. Farmtrac is still sitting on their lot 4 years later.

if the tractor will do what you want it to.id buy it in a heartbeat.because you are getting the loader for free.

Bez+":2nyowb7g said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2nyowb7g said:

Beware of blanket statements Jeanne. Believing a blanket statement is lik saying all Simm and Limo are cattle are wild.

I use a Maxxum that goes strong - different model - more HP and size I agree - but .......

Not trying to make a blanket statement but working in a repair shop we see more than our share of 5130's with transmission problems, if I was to hazard a guess I'd say it's an instance of a company mismatching engine hp to tranmission resulting in failure of one or the other (usually trans, too much power that gets inappropriately used) in order to cut costs.

Most machines have a weak point, for example every winter I change at least 3 timing cover gaskets on different Magnums equipped with the 8.3 Cummins, and will work on several others that the owner is ignoring the problem as the leak isn't that bad and he's already into a major expense fixing something else!

All Limo cattle are wild! :D

dun":1g2e1bx8 said:
Bez+":1g2e1bx8 said:
When I bought the JD 5510 I put 750 hours on it before I decided. Used it for everything that I could think of that I would ever need it for. Then I had them take it back to the shop and fix the little problems, it needed a clutch and the A/C fixed. When it was done I got it back at the same price they quoted me and they gave me within a thousand bucks or so of what I paid new for my Farmtrac. Farmtrac is still sitting on their lot 4 years later.

how long did they let you keep it to put 750 hrs on it before you bought it a yr

Angus Cowman":2hkkic8x said:
dun":2hkkic8x said:
Bez+":2hkkic8x said:

how long did they let you keep it to put 750 hrs on it before you bought it a yr

A couple of months, but it was haying season and you know how those hours add up. I kind of wonder about the hours though. The tach doesn;t work right and I know that higher rpms make the hour count go faster. Even at an idle a lot of the time the needle is pegged

I run a CIH maxxum 5220 1995 4WD. We put on 9,500 hours yet. This tractor cost me only oil change and filters. I never had problems with trans. and motor. For bale handling it's one of the best tractor.

Latest posts