Used loader tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1l6vfuro said:
Angus Cowman":1l6vfuro said:
dun":1l6vfuro said:
When I bought the JD 5510 I put 750 hours on it before I decided. Used it for everything that I could think of that I would ever need it for. Then I had them take it back to the shop and fix the little problems, it needed a clutch and the A/C fixed. When it was done I got it back at the same price they quoted me and they gave me within a thousand bucks or so of what I paid new for my Farmtrac. Farmtrac is still sitting on their lot 4 years later.

how long did they let you keep it to put 750 hrs on it before you bought it a yr

A couple of months, but it was haying season and you know how those hours add up. I kind of wonder about the hours though. The tach doesn;t work right and I know that higher rpms make the hour count go faster. Even at an idle a lot of the time the needle is pegged
I would say the hr meter is off on that tractor it should be electric and not run off of the tach which in my mind is a bad thing anytime the key is on on these newer tractors they accumalate hrs at an idle they meter the same as when they are when running wide open

Angus Cowman":2ib0g2by said:
I would say the hr meter is off on that tractor it should be electric and not run off of the tach which in my mind is a bad thing anytime the key is on on these newer tractors they accumalate hrs at an idle they meter the same as when they are when running wide open

I know that 60 minutes at 2500 rpm is more then 60 minutes and at 1500 it's less. Been meaning to ask the neighbor (JD service manager) about it but it just doesn;t seem all that important. Probably will seem a lot more important if/when I get ready to sell it.

dun":1rhzxb88 said:
Angus Cowman":1rhzxb88 said:

I know that 60 minutes at 2500 rpm is more then 60 minutes and at 1500 it's less. Been meaning to ask the neighbor (JD service manager) about it but it just doesn;t seem all that important. Probably will seem a lot more important if/when I get ready to sell it.
What yr is your 5510 on the newer Jd and NH they have went to an electric hr meter and if you turn the key on and don't start the engine they accumulate hrs

Cat and JD and all the other heavy construction eguipment companies went to that about 10 yrs ago and IMO it kinda sucks

Angus Cowman":3onvj7r8 said:
What yr is your 5510 on the newer Jd and NH they have went to an electric hr meter and if you turn the key on and don't start the engine they accumulate hrs

Cat and JD and all the other heavy construction eguipment companies went to that about 10 yrs ago and IMO it kinda sucks

Not sure what year it is. Since I had to use the tractor today when I finished I shut it off then turned the key back on and let it sit for a half hour, the hr meter didn;t move. Of course that could be one more thing that's screwed up along with the tach.

The Mules are like that. If the key is on it just keeps clicking time on the meter

Jeanne - Simme Valley":10gd7eqb said:
Update - JD dealer is servicing & fixing some things and will be delivering the NH TL70 for me to try out. I'll let you know what I think.

What are they servicing and fixing? It might be something to keep an eye while trying it out. While your doing that you might also want to put a load on the front and on the back lifts (hay bales maybe), raise both, turn the engine off and let it sit for an hour or so to see if the hydraulics hold. Are they still using the Iveco engine? It's considered pretty good.

BeefmasterB":3e8de912 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3e8de912 said:
Update - JD dealer is servicing & fixing some things and will be delivering the NH TL70 for me to try out. I'll let you know what I think.

What are they servicing and fixing? It might be something to keep an eye while trying it out. While your doing that you might also want to put a load on the front and on the back lifts (hay bales maybe), raise both, turn the engine off and let it sit for an hour or so to see if the hydraulics hold. Are they still using the Iveco engine? It's considered pretty good.

I agree, do everything you can think of that you might want to do with it once it's yours. Be creative with the things you try to do with it. Also, make sure you can navigate it through the tightest places on the farm you have and the lowest trees.

The bracket for the "joy stick" was broken. We wanted oil change & filter. Had a leak. Heater didn't work. Nothing major, but we wanted it fixed before we got it.
Yes it has an Iveco engine.
They've been using it to plow snow & have a snow blower on the backend that they've been cleaning up the lot with.
They didn't have a spear that would fit the quick attach, so we'll have to rig up something.
I definately plan on feeding bales on front & back. Good idea, leaving the bales up in the air. thanks.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3r77220k said:
The bracket for the "joy stick" was broken. We wanted oil change & filter. Had a leak. Heater didn't work. Nothing major, but we wanted it fixed before we got it.
Yes it has an Iveco engine.
They've been using it to plow snow & have a snow blower on the backend that they've been cleaning up the lot with.
They didn't have a spear that would fit the quick attach, so we'll have to rig up something.
I definately plan on feeding bales on front & back. Good idea, leaving the bales up in the air. thanks.

Sounds like your all over it!! Hope it works out for ya'll!! Enough horsepower?

What's wrong with this picture? (below)think it a JD 2100 series)

EnoughTractor.jpg

It is a little less HP than our 756, but my mechanic says a 4WD is ?more powerful? than a 2WD.
Besides, I don't need HP. I need stability, strong front end & good hydraulics. Only use for baleage. Occasionally run a mower.
I'll be testing it's 4WD as soon as it gets here. Got several feet of snow with mud underneath in areas we haven't been feeding. Places that we normally drive & where cattle dromp, it's all frozen, but we just pulled 12 head in to close up field and I hauled feeders & bales out there :shock: more snow than I thought!!! My trusty 756 did just fine. I think a lot of "not getting stuck" is knowing your tractor. I've been driving this one for about 15 years. Anxious to get a "new" tractor, but leary (well not really leary - apprehensive??) of the challenge of a different one during full blown winter & heavy feeding times. Now have 5 different groups, soon to have 6 groups.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2im9tn29 said:
my mechanic says a 4WD is ?more powerful? than a 2WD.

Not "more powerful" as 75 HP is 75HP is 75HP, however a 75HP FWA _usually_ can outpull a 75HP 2WD because of better traction. I say usually because an old, heavy 75HP 2WD will outpull a newer, lighter 75HP FWA. Its all about traction and getting the power to the ground.

Rod

Thanks. Since I won't be "pulling" anything - or very little need, I guess my main concern is stability & being able to get around.
Just got a call 5 minutes ago - they're on their way with the tractor. :banana: Now I (or rather hubby) will need to figure out how to rig our spear onto this quick attachment.
I'll let you know in a few days how I like it.

if my memory is correct you have to have quick attach couplers on your hay spear.an you just bump it an it hooks up.but everything has tobe loned up to hookup.

Our old tractor does not have quick attach, so our spear isn't. Tractor was delivered. I borrowed a spear that fits. Last night in the dark, we hooked up the front spear (piece of cake!) and put our 3-point spear on back. I'm ready to roll today. It's about 24 degrees out, hubby went out & it started right up.
Power steering is sure a LOT nicer than my 756D.
Have to feed all the different groups today because we'll be gone all day tomorrow for a meeting. Won't be home til past our bedtime. So I'll have lots of bales to practice with. I'll be SOL if it doesn't work for me today. No reason for it not to.
I'll let you know.

:heart: Love my new tractor. Has a couple of "issues" that they are taking care of - but, looks like a KEEPER!
Hydrolics are twice what my old 756D ever was! Can't believe how easily it steers also. 4-wheel drive - WOW, awesome.
Thanks for everyones help.

I was wondering how you were getting along with it was gonna ask but brain has been a lil foggy with the head cold and all
I figured you would like it unless it had a major issue
I am sure happy with all my NH's and knew you would love the 4wd
does it have the reverser on it if it does I bet you really like that

Not sure what the right terminology is, but it has a forward / reverse shifter - BUT, you still have to clutch for it - but it's really easy to slip in & out. Nice.
My biggest problem is the 756D had a parking break that locked up the transmission, you COULD NOT put it in gear when it was on. This one is kinda like having an emergency break on your truck ---- put it in gear and GO - oops, that's why it's sluggish!!! And it's not just a "girl" thing - hubby did it too! Yup, it's got that nice RED light on the dash - but who looks at the dash? It'll get to be routine - I use it all the time because when you pull up to the feeders, they're usually up-hill or down-hill slightly - can't afford to have tractor roll.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ne8ih4jq said:
Not sure what the right terminology is, but it has a forward / reverse shifter - BUT, you still have to clutch for it - but it's really easy to slip in & out. Nice.
Two of mine have the manual reverser like you are talking about and they are nice my new one has a powershift(automatic type) transmission and the reverser is on the column and you don't even have to clutch it but I like the one like you have better and they are nice speeds things up alot when using the loader
Yeah I know about the parking brake thing :lol: :lol:

Latest posts