Used Loader Tractor Tip

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a remote farm that is to far to drive to with an open station tractor, so I am in the market for a good used loader tractor to feed there. In our area most of the used equipment is mid sized IH ( 560, 756, 806 series) or JD (25, 28, or 30 series). There are also some bigger tractors from the smaller brands (Case 1175, Ford 8000) that are priced about the same as the mid sized green stuff.

I am leaning towards a bigger 2 wheel drive. Any reason not to go with a Case or a Ford rather than paying more for a JD 4020?

Bez+":3vwjnag5 said:
Once you go 4WD you will never go back.

4WD is a wonderful thing :nod: As to brand, they are all pretty good. Look for parts availability and dealership support in your decision making process.

I'll second the 4wd recommendation, makes life a lot simpler. I've used Fords all my life, never felt the need for anything else, I like the 10 series and the 7600, etc from the late 70s/early 80s. Had a JD once and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Wouldn't be opposed to trying a Case or Int but never have.

I am with others I had JD for yrs but have also used Fords I got rid of all my JD s a few yrsago and went with New Holland(ford) and as for being a smaller co they are not and IMO living where you do I would definitely go with a 4wd
Like cf said they 10 sereis ford is a great tractor ie 6610,7710 and also the 7700and so on if buying a newer model go with the TS series NH
IMO
you might check online at US Farmer

I would second the 4WD suggestion! Also, look at the play in the loader bucket. Check the hydraulics. Also, someone mentioned parts availability and that would be paramount in any any decion I made. When I visit my dealer, there seems to be mostly Case's in the shop. I was told that it's the low end of the tractor line. Kubota also makes a good tractor. But Fords seems to be literally everywhere.

<chuckle> Well I'll go against the grain as always. If you're not dealing with large snowfalls or mud, 2WD is the way to go. Generally a tighter turning radius, and definitely a whole bunch cheaper to fix when they go down.

As for brand, we all have our preferences, but I feel there are MANY better loader tractors out there than a spindle bustin' 4020. 1105/35 Massey, 86 series IH, etc etc. Hell, I feel my old 930 Case is far superior to a 4020 as a loader tractor. The Case 70 series (and follow on 90 series) are _ok_ but suffer from a poor powershift design. They would still be preferable to a 4020 though, in that they have a far better hydraulic system.

For a newer, TOUGH 2WD (or FWA for that matter) loader tractor, the Magnum series IH are hard to beat. Bullet proof trans, heavy front axles. Try to find one with the 4 reverse gears (versus 2). The 2 speeds are little slow for loader work.

Side note: Before the green machine lovers try to burn me at the stake, I've owned a 4020 since 1972.

Rod

The 5200 series JD are a bit lite in the rear and need to be widened out front and rear for my comfort.

Good other than that except the tow bar ain't what it needs to be either.

Ford/New Holland does the job just as well, but be sure you keep plenty of hydraulic oil on hand. I've never seen one yet that had any hours on it that didn't leak like crazy. Power steering and remote hookups are the worst offenders.

farm2-11-08046.jpg

I think a 4020 makes a decent loader tractor if you put a 30 series front end under them.I really like 4020's and wouldn't trade mine for anything else I could afford to replace it with.Nice thing about a 4020 is they go up in value unless you you just beat the he)) out of them.My loader tractor is a 1855 oliver thats going to get a 5.9 cummins put in it in a summer or two.I know this isn't cost effective but I've wanted to do a cummins conversion on an Oliver for about 12 years and have most of the parts gathered up.
12-4-081855020.jpg

EAT BEEF - Nice shop.

Friend of mine put a 4 cyl turbo cummins in his Oliver a few years back, loves it. Another friend just rebuilt the perkins 6 cyl in his and has had a buttload of trouble getting it right.

DiamondSCattleCo":248p9hbi said:
cfpinz":248p9hbi said:
Another friend just rebuilt the perkins 6 cyl in his and has had a buttload of trouble getting it right.

Whats he having trouble with?

Rod

You name it. He's a very particular person, had it apart a few times lately. Dropped a bunch of money into it and it's still cold natured. He also doesn't like the sound of it when it's running, says it's "sloppy". He's been thru the gears running the inj pump and a couple other things thinking there's slop in the timing. Really good friend, but I think he analyzes things a bit too much sometimes.

cfpinz":3vpfrgd4 said:
DiamondSCattleCo":3vpfrgd4 said:
cfpinz":3vpfrgd4 said:
Another friend just rebuilt the perkins 6 cyl in his and has had a buttload of trouble getting it right.

Whats he having trouble with?

Rod

You name it. He's a very particular person, had it apart a few times lately. Dropped a bunch of money into it and it's still cold natured. He also doesn't like the sound of it when it's running, says it's "sloppy". He's been thru the gears running the inj pump and a couple other things thinking there's slop in the timing. Really good friend, but I think he analyzes things a bit too much sometimes.

1850's were bad a about running rough with out a load after they had some use I think it has something to do with a brass bushing in the injection pump.I guess thats what you meant by gears? The one I had was like that until you got it under a load then it would run smooth.I've had a bunch of 2-105 Whites that used a later version of the 354 perkins w/a turbo and never had a problem with them fluttering.I just figuered it was an old tractor and ran it,but I get that way with a project sometimes and can hardley stand it if something isn't right.

cfpinz":1ovfw8tx said:

Perkins engines are cold natured, even with 0 hours on them. You walk by a Perkins with an ice cream cone and its time to pull out the ether. The best thing to do is ensure you have many, many cranking amps in the batteries. I had a pair of 1050 (or 1100) in my 1130 and it still had a tough time starting.

As for the lope, it may be injector pump itself or injectors (not the drive gears, IMO he's looking in the wrong spot), but as Eat Beef said, Perkins engines tend to lope a bit at low idle.

Perkins builds a tough engine, but they are crude. Tell your buddy that he can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear...

Rod

EAT BEEF":9hv85us5 said:
I think a 4020 makes a decent loader tractor if you put a 30 series front end under them.I really like 4020's and wouldn't trade mine for anything else I could afford to replace it with.Nice thing about a 4020 is they go up in value unless you you just beat the he)) out of them.My loader tractor is a 1855 oliver thats going to get a 5.9 cummins put in it in a summer or two.I know this isn't cost effective but I've wanted to do a cummins conversion on an Oliver for about 12 years and have most of the parts gathered up.

100_0679.jpg

Agree. We have 2 4010s. We had these tractors from pretty much since the very first day my grandpa started farming. They have never gave us any problems, very dependable. They are one of the best built tractors out there even in todays farming society.

EAT BEEF":25nv8ca9 said:
1850's were bad a about running rough with out a load after they had some use I think it has something to do with a brass bushing in the injection pump.I guess thats what you meant by gears?

Haven't seen it myself, but it seems I remember him saying something about two gears which ran the inj pump, one being steel and the other being a softer alloy.

I just figuered it was an old tractor and ran it,....

That's how I look at things.

DiamondSCattleCo":2776915e said:
Perkins builds a tough engine, but they are crude. Tell your buddy that he can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear...

Rod

Agreed. I keep teasing him about it being a "parade tractor".

Latest posts