Used IH Drill?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
Can I reasonably expect something like this to work halfway decent? Planting grass and wheat with it.

Don't know anything about them but I will have to rent the one the county has and drag it out and borrow somebodies 65hp tractor with hydraulic if I do, I don't want to do that. Been looking for a larger tractor for a year now with no luck.

Will this get me by in your opinion? Surely it is not as risky as buying a worn out square baler?

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/grd/5425259996.html

00H0H_4Z3SfN2A1m8_600x450.jpg

International Harvester may not be a John Deere....but they made good equipment too. I'll bet it works just fine barring it's not plum wore out.

Look at the tongue, see how many times it got wrapped up in the tractor tire. It should be a good way to tell how it was cared for.

my concern was that it would be a whole lot more finicky than a planter that deals with large heavy seeds?

I can always disc and spread, but that is a lot more work, plus I figure I can just run this over thin sections to improve my pasture without tearing it up?

(M-5, just read your post, did not know that, well crud! I know the one I can rent is supposed to do the job without tilling)

It doesn't look like it has a small seeds box so probably only suitable for the larger grain seeds.
Gates can also be an issue with them, make sure it will fit through your openings.
Ken

M-5":1cej39ln said:
Even though some people use them on pasture with some success , this unit is designed to be used on tilled ground.
That's basicly the same as the old Van Brunt. You're right, it doesn;t work well in untilled ground. But, if you lock the springs on the colters so that they have more down pressure and drag some heavy tires behind it you can get by. I used one for years that way and was satisfied with it. Not nearly as satisfied as I was after I sold it for more then I bought it for and replaced it the haybuster 107 no till drill.

A friend of mine told me a set of discs set straight and a broadcast seeder on the 3 point works very well. I bet that would work nicely for small areas if you already have those pieces of equipment. I saw a neighbor using a JD version of this seeder this week on pasture and he has very nice pastures so i believe it would work ok as well. Not nearly as good as a no till drill though

wbvs58":1k7opl02 said:
It doesn't look like it has a small seeds box so probably only suitable for the larger grain seeds.

+1

When you calculate the cost of seed and the cost of a poor stand, you can justify a better drill.

Stocker Steve":f9qq3e3k said:
wbvs58":f9qq3e3k said:

+1

When you calculate the cost of seed and the cost of a poor stand, you can justify a better drill.
Don;t forget the cost of fuel to plant it.

dun":1t4442w1 said:
Stocker Steve":1t4442w1 said:
wbvs58":1t4442w1 said:

+1

Don;t forget the cost of fuel to plant it.
Off road diesel is just above a buck a gallon.....time to give that one up.... :lol:

1982vett":3jfmm4ul said:
Off road diesel is just above a buck a gallon.....time to give that one up.... :lol:
It may be there, but it isn;t around here.

Latest posts