used head catch

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite":8m70ot2j said:
Kingfisher":8m70ot2j said:
Can you show me how you built the chute and bolted it to the gate? Thanks in advance.

Sure, I will snap a pic and post it later today.
Robert I've worked thousands of cattle thru that exact same headgate except it had handles where you could work it from either side. It's a dang good headgate and looks to be in good condition. Probably worth $250 or more. But offer a lot less. Since you ahve no metal to weld to I'd drill holes thru those posts and run long bolts all the way thru with some big strong washers on the backside. One other side note...never reach thru to give a shot....reach over.

TexBred I'm with you on the sticking your hand through. That bull wire scares the heck out of me. That's why I suggest the walk plank. I found I could do just about anything I wanted from above. With solid sides it seemed to keep them calmer too. On the opposite side of the walk plank we had a removable section on the bottom to work on udders.
RobertW, it seems like a good idea to use the bull wire to hold the pipe. It may work a few times but really is not strong enough. I have seen them break those welds like they are not there. When it comes to working in close quarters I like every thing over structured.
Just another thought. Maybe at a latter date you may want to make one side hinged like a gate. Cows occasionally get themselves in trouble while in the chute. A gate on the side sure can help. You see a lot of squeeze chutes with this feature.

novatech":1hkvljp8 said:
TexBred I'm with you on the sticking your hand through. That bull wire scares the heck out of me. That's why I suggest the walk plank. I found I could do just about anything I wanted from above. With solid sides it seemed to keep them calmer too. On the opposite side of the walk plank we had a removable section on the bottom to work on udders.
RobertW, it seems like a good idea to use the bull wire to hold the pipe. It may work a few times but really is not strong enough. I have seen them break those welds like they are not there. When it comes to working in close quarters I like every thing over structured.
Just another thought. Maybe at a latter date you may want to make one side hinged like a gate. Cows occasionally get themselves in trouble while in the chute. A gate on the side sure can help. You see a lot of squeeze chutes with this feature.

A great addition to a working chute. Had one on the dairy and used it whenever we needed to milk out and treat an udder. Works great for breeding as well when you don't actually catch the head..just inseminate the cow and open the side gate and let her walk out the side exit.

I hear you guys about reaching over rather than through. Thanks.

I also love the idea about a hinged chute. That will be very easy to do as all I need to do is add hinges where the removable 2x6 are connected.

As I said, the chute is a work in progress and I really appreciate the comments. Safer is always better.

robertwhite":185sb8qw said:
Left side is boxed around a pole so I could get a flush/even lag surface. Box is held into the T-pole with 8 inch spikes. Not going anywhere! Left side also has 2x4's (on either side of the 4x4) so I can slide in a pole or 2x4 behind the cow and thru the other side into the cattle fence to block them from backing up.

yikes

no offense but lag bolts and nails for restraining large animals is probably not going to work. good luck though, or did you already try it out? how did it go? If not, set up a camera and record video.

Hippie Rancher":3rldg7ur said:
robertwhite":3rldg7ur said:
Left side is boxed around a pole so I could get a flush/even lag surface. Box is held into the T-pole with 8 inch spikes. Not going anywhere! Left side also has 2x4's (on either side of the 4x4) so I can slide in a pole or 2x4 behind the cow and thru the other side into the cattle fence to block them from backing up.

yikes

no offense but lag bolts and nails for restraining large animals is probably not going to work. good luck though, or did you already try it out? how did it go? If not, set up a camera and record video.
I gotta agree! 1/2 inch through bolts with BIG washers on each side works best for fastening to wood.

Have not yet had time to try it out, but as far as the lags go, I can not put thru bolts on the pole (left) side. Square peg, round hole type of deal. I will be chaining it at all 4 points though, so it is not likely to be going anywhere.

Time will tell.

Latest posts