Used 4x4 Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Have seen recommendations in past on here for Tractors of different sizes listed as good tractors.

Wondering what is some Models of older 4x4 tractors that are good ones that a guy might pick up with out mortgaging the farm. Say some 50-100 hp older 4x4 tractors that can be had for under $10,000.

And what ones should a person stay away from?

Herefordcross":2ffljw3d said:
I see a lot of the Case IH 585/685/785 4x4 w/loader for around 7-8k all of the time

I have a IH 684 4X4, I am well pleased with it.
My main complaint is is doesn't turn very sharp, that is a problem with most older 4X4's.

A GOOD 4wd tractor under 10k? Good Luck. Most times you get what you pay for. I've seen some nice open 4wds around 15k or so. It used to be fun to work on tractors for the learning experience, then I figured how much the downtime was costing. I'd rather pay a little more up front for a really nice 10-20 year old model than nickel and dime myself to death along the way.

cfpinz

aplusmnt":2isrtjwe said:
Have seen recommendations in past on here for Tractors of different sizes listed as good tractors.

Wondering what is some Models of older 4x4 tractors that are good ones that a guy might pick up with out mortgaging the farm. Say some 50-100 hp older 4x4 tractors that can be had for under $10,000.

30 year old one's with a loader still going for 12 to 15k here,
IMO you can get by without 4wd but not a loader.
Ya'll don't have any good tractor auctions around we have several, I know Ok does as well.

Caustic Burno":14h3islg said:
aplusmnt":14h3islg said:

Ya'll don't have any good tractor auctions around we have several, I know Ok does as well.

There is one auction close in OK. I am just trying to build up a list of tractors that could fit my need incase I see some listed in some of the farm auctions that I watch on regular basis.

Probably will get a non 4x4 but figured I might add some of those to watch list. Never really hear the 4x4's talked much about on here. I did figure though that the cost would not justify the 4x4 option.

Are the older 4x4's generally more prone to break downs?

Herefordcross":13k78f51 said:
I see a lot of the Case IH 585/685/785 4x4 w/loader for around 7-8k all of the time

Dad and I bought a 585 with loader in 1987. In the 13 years that we owned it, it needed two clutches. We round baled 500 bales a year with it and used it for stacking the hay in the barn.

The clutches could not handle the stopping and starting.

Other than that it was a good tractor. I think that we had the radiator patched and replaced the steering pump but thats about it

aplusmnt":wkeliby4 said:
Caustic Burno":wkeliby4 said:
aplusmnt":wkeliby4 said:

There is one auction close in OK. I am just trying to build up a list of tractors that could fit my need incase I see some listed in some of the farm auctions that I watch on regular basis.

Probably will get a non 4x4 but figured I might add some of those to watch list. Never really hear the 4x4's talked much about on here. I did figure though that the cost would not justify the 4x4 option.

Rule of thumb if you think you need a 60 hp fwd get a 75 hp two wheel. Hard to beat a Massey the Perkins engine they are bulletproof and cost pennies to rebuild if you have to.

Caustic Burno":2dlasolf said:
aplusmnt":2dlasolf said:

burno your right theres 2 big auction yards.1 is southwest auctions owned by david an clint carching in howe tx.the other is brinkly auctions in idabelle oklahoma.an i almost forgot agpower in sulphur springs tx.they have several big auctions every year.

Caustic Burno":3s9hiwhe said:
aplusmnt":3s9hiwhe said:
Caustic Burno":3s9hiwhe said:
aplusmnt":3s9hiwhe said:

Rule of thumb if you think you need a 60 hp fwd get a 75 hp two wheel. Hard to beat a Massey the Perkins engine they are bulletproof and cost pennies to rebuild if you have to.

What MF models could say handle a 10-15 foot brush hog. Figure if they can handle that they will do more than I will ever need. Does the 165 fit that mold?

bigbull338":ac2kp8kw said:
burno your right theres 2 big auction yards.1 is southwest auctions owned by david an clint carching in howe tx.the other is brinkly auctions in idabelle oklahoma.an i almost forgot agpower in sulphur springs tx.they have several big auctions every year.

Go to http://67.67.1.193/ and you can watch brinkley's sale today. You may have to add the site to your trusted site to get the active x to run.

Here's a copy of the 1st half of their sale order for today.

http://www.brinkleyauctions.com/tractors/sale order.html

Latest posts