Used 3/4 ton Gas or Diesel? pros/cons

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
In the market for used 3/4 ton truck to pull 24' cattle trailer and general farm use. Am trying to decide what brand to buy and whether it should be a diesel or gas engine. Give me your 2 cents worth and reasons why. I appreciate your input.

Gas
cheaper fuel
cheaper parts
cheaper intitial costs

will not pull as well as diesel depending on load size
may not last as long if pulling regularly

Diesel
pulls better that gas
long life

more expensive initial cost
more expensive to maintain
more expensive fuel

As for brand, what you are going to do, I would go with GM. They are using stuff that they have been using for years now, its dependable.
The 6.0L gasoline is and awesome motor that will pull your 24' and has a good history for being dependable and lasting lots of miles. IF you are going to pull you 24' 100 mi I would go with the Duramax. It is also a proven motor and the 6 speed is nice.

You might have a problem finding a good used D-max though... not many people want to get rid of them. ;-)

How many miles a year?

The Ford V10's pull good they are used in motorhomes a lot. I got a F350 with the 5.4 in it and it does ok for what I pull, a 16 foot stock trailer. It gets about 10 towing. V10's are not much less I am told.

tom4018":31cnpklu said:
How many miles a year?

The Ford V10's pull good they are used in motorhomes a lot. I got a F350 with the 5.4 in it and it does ok for what I pull, a 16 foot stock trailer. It gets about 10 towing. V10's are not much less I am told.

There is a episode of Car and Driver and a magazine article where the put Fords V10 vs Chevy's 6.0L. They put the Ford on a trailer and pulled it with the Chevy down a 1/4 mi. Then they swithched and put the Chevy on the trailer and the Ford pulled it down the 1/4 mi.
The Chevy had a faster time and the Ford weighed more. :)

tom4018":3n62rr7u said:
How many miles a year?

About 10,000 miles a year have a more economical vehicle for general running around.

BTW-Would rarely pull loaded trailer over 50 miles from home.

Ive owned a Chevy with the 8.1 gas, and now have had 2 chevys with the duramax, all with the allison tranny. I miss my 8.1 because i had a nice exhaust on it, and it was my first nice truck, but when i go to the gas station i love my diesel. I got about 12-14 mpg with the 8.1, and it didnt really matter if i was hauling or not, my diesels i get about 16-19 and if im on the highway not hauling i can get just about 20mpg. Yeah the diesel cost a little more in the beginning (i paid 35000 for my truck, a 2008 crew cab), BUT with the duramax and allison it will last forever. We have a local livestock hauler who has one with 325000 mi on it and all he has replaced was an oil pump.

Go find a 7.3 that is in reasonable condition. Other than having to plug the in when its cold it will do everything you need it to do. you can probably pick one up with 100k for under $15k.

I could not justify the cost of a diesel for the miles I use one, granted when I bought mine diesel was considerably higher than gas. A person will just have to put a pencil too it and see what works best for them.

You might look around on the auto trader site and see what is around for you price range.

Texas PaPaw":2slqh49b said:
Any one have experience with a Hemi engine in a Dodge?

Hemi + big bank account for gas money = good times.

Seriously, not sure on the new ones (supposed to get a spectacular 26 mpg :roll: :lol: ). But the older ones are hunks of junk.

Latest posts