Used 3/4 Ton Farm Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy":t78yg178 said:
You are a sick man Crowder. No straps even. :lol:
Flaboy. They lock into place, drop my dovetails, and the ramps lock the load. Never lost a roll yet. It's only an 8 mile run down back roads from one of our places to the other. ;-)

Crowderfarms":1g0v3rpu said:
flaboy":1g0v3rpu said:
Flaboy. They lock into place, drop my dovetails, and the ramps lock the load. Never lost a roll yet. It's only an 8 mile run down back roads from one of our places to the other. ;-)

I think you can haul 15 plus 2 more if your hauling with a flat bed truck. That trailor looks familar. I like it.

Wewild":2gl6zxpg said:
Crowderfarms":2gl6zxpg said:
flaboy":2gl6zxpg said:

I think you can haul 15 plus 2 more if your hauling with a flat bed truck. That trailor looks familar. I like it.
MVC-001S.jpg
It's not a 3/4 Ton, But...

Problem is I have a Hill to pull going up to the lot I store hay in that is hard to pull with anymore weight. A billy Goat would need Oxygen.

Crowderfarms":3v07j1vu said:
Problem is I have a Hill to pull going up to the lot I store hay in that is hard to pull with anymore weight. A billy Goat would need Oxygen.

Nice setup.

Crowderfarms":3op2ro2g said:
flaboy":3op2ro2g said:

Yeah, I have been shopping for a decent deal on a 25 foot trailer. The 40' is good for some things but since the axles are so far back it puts way too much weight on the gooseneck hitch. Another thing is I have to travel basically one lane dirt roads to get back to the barn. Two wide and no one could get by me. We dropped the 40 off in a ditch the first time out. I had told my dad to pull way out before turning but even so the 40 just couldn't make the turn. Right side axles in the ditch. I got my tractor with pallet forks under the rear of the trailer and managed to push and lift enough to get it out. Next trip we went straight across the road and turned around on some county property. A 25 footer would work much better hauling out of that back field.

Crowderfarms":lld91urr said:
MVC-002S.jpg
This was the last load headed to my hay lot from the field.Usually haul 14 rolls. Lucky 13 this trip.

Dang Crowder why are you light loading that trailer I could have gotten 2 more bales on it at least.

;-) It aint getting the traction to pull its having the brakes to stop when one of them little blue haired old ladies pull out in front of you. :shock:

Campground Cattle":2yke2iaa said:
;-) It aint getting the traction to pull its having the brakes to stop when one of them little blue haired old ladies pull out in front of you. :shock:
Little old ladies are not the problem here. It's the SUV drivers and teenagers doing 60 or 70 MPH on roads once built for stage coaches. Trust me, I have my history of "near misses".

Ahh 13 isn't that much. We put 11 on our trailer without stacking or tying the bales down, behind a 4x4 expedition. I know it isn't a 40ft trailer. I'm guessing its somewhere near 30. If we had a front end loader on our tractor we could easily get another 6 stacked down the middle. I guess if we really wanted we could stand another 10 on top but then we would have to tie them down. I wouldn't haul more than 11 with the expedition though. I know a guy that has a 2003 3500 cummins dually that can haul 20 on his trailer. I think it is probably a 30ft trailer. But he usually only hauls 15 so he doesn't have to tie them down. His truck is a prime example of why you shouldn't buy an automatic dodge. It has been in the shop getting a new transmission.

The International diesel motors in Ford trucks??
good/bad? mpg and longevity expectations?
general opinions of a '90 F-250 4x, 5 speed, 120,000 mi,org bed with gooseneck, pretty straight truck with exceptional interior? A/c doesn't get cold an old r-12,can it be converted to 134 for a reasonable cost? can the conversion be done at home without any special tools besides the trusty 3 lb and a cutting torch?

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":29kz9djt said:
itsawayoflife":29kz9djt said:
How's this for a load of hay. 20 5X5 Rolls. F-550. 35' Trailer.
F550 but that trucks behind is squatin like a coonhound with pepper on it's ass.

Ah yes and if it had been a 40 foot trailer it would be squatted even more. Good deal though guys. My problem was not so much the load as making turns getting from the field to the barn. Couldn't go double wide on bottom row due to close quarters. Keep em loaded guys. :lol:

dj":2b2ab21o said:
The International diesel motors in Ford trucks??
good/bad? mpg and longevity expectations?
general opinions of a '90 F-250 4x, 5 speed, 120,000 mi,org bed with gooseneck, pretty straight truck with exceptional interior? A/c doesn't get cold an old r-12,can it be converted to 134 for a reasonable cost? can the conversion be done at home without any special tools besides the trusty 3 lb and a cutting torch?

Yes Ford uses International diesels. The 90 is also an International engine but is NOT turbo charged and may not be a 7.3 PowerStroke. It may be a 6.9L. We had a 6.9 (late 80's) and it would outpull the Dodge and GM but it has NO power compared to the Turbo 7.3 or the new 6 liter diesels. Don't expect too much from non turbo engines as far as pulling especially if in the mountains. Try it out, if it blows black or white/blue smoke under medium accleration, pass it up. A little is ok though. Probably would make a good farm truck but not good for towing trips.

R-12 to 134 can be done at home but not too easily. Do you have a vacuum pump? Do you have AC line tools? If not forget it. Hope this helps some.