Use of Bovatec

Help Support CattleToday:

RoosterHillFarm

Reaction score
We have our first cattle - (3) year-old heifers (hereford) and (2) steered dairy bull calves. With the mill's recommendation, we are about to move the heifers from grower to heifer feed, 17% with bovatec. The label suggests not to use bovatec with breeding stock and my question is do we shy away from bovatec when actually *breeding* the heifers or is the warning regarding any stock used for breeding in general? And why?
Thanks!

We use it in our mineral. Have been doing it for years. Sure cuts down on sickness in calves and in breeding cows.

Bovatec=Lasolacid

Submitted to: Current Issues In Intestinal Microbiology
Publication Acceptance Date: March 27, 2003
Publication Date: July 20, 2003
Citation: Callaway, T.R., Edrington, T.S., Rychlik, J.L., Genovese, K.J., Poole, T.L., Jung, Y., Bischoff, K.M., Anderson, R.C., Nisbet, D.J. Ionophores: Their Use As Ruminant Growth Promotants And Impact On Food Safety. Current Issues In Intestinal Microbiology. 2003. V. 4. P. 43-51.

Interpretive Summary: Ionophores are antibiotics (not related to drugs used in human medicine) that are fed to cattle to improve growth. Ionophore use saves the U. S. cattle industry $1 billion each year. Research results suggest that the use of ionophore antibiotics to enhance livestock production efficiency will not contribute to the unwanted phenomenon of antibiotic resistance. Additionally, they appear to be inconsequential in regard to the occurrence of food borne pathogenic microorganisms in living animals or the meat products derived from these animals.
Technical Abstract: Ionophores (such as monensin, lasalocid, laidlomycin, salinomycin and narasin) are antimicrobial compounds that are commonly fed to ruminant animals to improve feed efficiency. These antimicrobials specifically target the ruminal bacterial population and alter the microbial ecology of the intestinal microbial consortium, resulting in increased carbon and nitrogen retention by the animal, increasing production efficiency. Ionophores transport ions across cell membranes of susceptible bacteria, dissipating ion gradients and uncoupling energy expenditures from growth, killing these bacteria. Not all bacteria are susceptible to ionophores, and several species have been shown to develop several mechanisms of ionophore resistance. The prophylactic use of antimicrobials as growth promotants in food animals has fallen under greater scrutiny due to fears of the spread of antibiotic resistance. Because of the complexity and high degree of specificity of ionophore resistance, it appears that ionophores do not contribute to the development of antibiotic resistance. Ionophore usage also does not appear to provide a competitive advantage to gram-negative food borne pathogenic bacteria. Therefore it appears that ionophores will continue to play a significant role in improving the efficiency of animal production in the future.

Last Modified: 01/07/2006

I have never fed any type of ionophore. The only thing I add to mineral sometimes is Aueromycin (sp) usually just in the winter or when starting calves. If the label says do not feed to breeding stock then I would sure follow the advice.
Also I do not feed any type of urea to breeding stock.

bif

Something I just found at the cow calf corner Rooster. i thought i had read this before but it's been awhile. like i said i don't have a need for ionophores in developing heifers but it looks like it is done.

In an effort to insure more replacement heifers are bred to calve early in their first calving season, ranchers should consider using a supplement containing an ionophore in the growing diet of the heifers. "Ionophore" is the generalized name for the feed additives monensin (Rumensin) and lasalocid (Bovatec). Both are presently approved for use with growing programs for replacement heifers.
Research conducted in Texas and Wyoming indicated that growing heifers fed 200 mg monensin per head per day reached puberty at an earlier age than did similar heifers fed similar diets containing no monensin. Similar data is available for lasalocid.

Most stocker cattle research has indicated that the addition of 100-200 mg of an ionophore will increase average daily gain by .1 to .2 pound per day. Over a 150 day growing period of a replacement heifer, this means an additional 15-30 pounds in average weight improvement of the heifers by breeding time.

RoosterHillFarm":7utgmpes said:
We have our first cattle - (3) year-old heifers (hereford) and (2) steered dairy bull calves. With the mill's recommendation, we are about to move the heifers from grower to heifer feed, 17% with bovatec. The label suggests not to use bovatec with breeding stock and my question is do we shy away from bovatec when actually *breeding* the heifers or is the warning regarding any stock used for breeding in general? And why?
Thanks!
Bovatec is safe for breeding stock. Being in NY, you are in dairy area. I believe dairymen cannot feed ionophores to milkers.
We feed Bovatec in our loose mineral year round to growing heifers & cowherd. It is also used to control coccidiosis.
Where in "upstate NY" are you. I'm 30 miles south of Syracuse.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2819npz5 said:
Doesnt creep feeding making heifers mature faster. If im not mistaken i do believe it does. Therefore why use bovatec and all that crap if you are already creep feeding?

I would imagine it has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of ranchers don't creep their calves.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":14wsjv8d said:
Doesnt creep feeding making heifers mature faster. If im not mistaken i do believe it does. Therefore why use bovatec and all that crap if you are already creep feeding?

The person posting the question is not CREEP feeding. He is raising weaned heifers & steers.
"That crap" is a money saving additive. Cows on grass or hay are able to utilize their feed (grass/hay) better with Bovitec added to their MINERAL. Plus it is a preventative for coccidiossis. Very cost effective additive whether in a grain feed for replacements/feedlot or in a mineral program.

I don't see any reason that Bovatec couldn't be fed to any ruminant animal, breeding or not. It can improve feed efficiency up to 11% on high energy rations. As was mentioned earlier it will aid in preventing coccidiosis and bloat. I have used it before and been pleased with it.

Bovatec is one of the best investments in a feeding program...research lists an 11:1 return on the investment. However, I believe it is not cleared for feeding to cows. I am not exactly sure why, but if it is not cleared, it means it's illegal.

rk":2mkby7vq said:
Bovatec is one of the best investments in a feeding program...research lists an 11:1 return on the investment. However, I believe it is not cleared for feeding to cows. I am not exactly sure why, but if it is not cleared, it means it's illegal.

It's dairy cows that it can;t be fed to, at least in the states. I thnk it's legal or at least was in europe though.

dun

I could be wrong (I have alot of practice!), but check the Feed Additive Compendium or google Bovatec and Beef Cows. I believe there are no clearances shown for free-choicing to beef cows.

I believe the way it works is you cannot feed it to any cow that is being milked for the dairy market.
I use it year round on my Herefords an have never had any issues with it.
Of course the only ones that milk cows on my farm are the calves.

The reason they don't specify breeds of cows is you could still theoretically milk a beef breed and use it for dairy products.

I couldn;t find any literature saying that it could or couldn;t be fed so I checked with the feed mill and the vet. It can;t be used while a cow is lactating if the milk is for human consumption. No problems with beef cows unless you're going to milk her and drink the milk.

dun

i have been using bovatec on cows calves and bulls for years with great results.am i wrong in doing so?

kajun":rasmo570 said:
i have been using bovatec on cows calves and bulls for years with great results.am i wrong in doing so?

Nope. It isn;t all that expensive and is probably beneficial. Even drinking the milk most likely isn;t problem, it's just no cleared for the public milk supply

dun

i mix bovatec with a hi mag mineral free choice.is there more efficent way?

kajun":1p62f11z said:
i mix bovatec with a hi mag mineral free choice.is there more efficent way?

If you don;t supplement with grain, doing it via the minerals is about the only way. And even if you are supplemnting, minerals is still probably the best.
Just an opinion though

dun

kajun,

There a probably alot of cows that get Bovatec. However, it is not cleared for free-choicing to beef cows. Drugs and medications are strictly regulated by the FDA. They publish the Feed Additive Compendium, which lists how specific drugs can be fed and to what classes of animals. If it does not list a class of animals, that means doing so would be out of compliance, in my understanding. The fact that it's done out in the field does not make it okay. I personally don't know how it could hurt, but I feel more comfortable by complying. Strict regulations like this is one of the reasons the U.S. livestock industry enjoys vastly more consumer confidence than our counterparts in other countries. We should guard this confidence closely and not play loose with the rules.

i am bqa certified and nowhere on the certifacation forms did it say bovatec was illegal to use.my county agent and my vet reccomended it.please let me know if it is unlawful as i sell 300 calves annually.thanks for any info.