Use of AI with proven genetics in Blonde d'Aquitaine

Help Support CattleToday:

Blonde d'Aquitaine

Reaction score
Hello from Germany:
I want to share with you pictures of young bulls produced by AI in very good herdbook cows of our herd. We use French proven sires with excellent easy calving EPDs, good milk and good carcasses. Of course, the better the cow the better the calf. In this pictures you can see the different cow phenotypes and their influence on the calves. In Germany we get better paid for lean carcasses. Although the market is here completely different than in the US, I would like to know which one of these 3 young bulls is the best one?

Best regards from Germany :tiphat:

Are you wanting the bull to make more bulls ... to make heifers you'd retain ... or to be an all-around superior stock?

In other words, what is this bull's job description?

I saw a couple blondes at a BCIA sale I had never seen any of this breed prior to this sale. They were a nice set of bulls. Walnut crest why would you even consider a bull that wouldn't make good bull/steers or heifers your going to get some of both unless your using sexed semen?

Job description= high conception

Gizmom

Thank you all very much for the comments.
The bulls were born last year in June and July (see new pics).
Job description = High conception is the first duty. If you are not using sexed semen, you need to get a balance between good carcasses and good mothers. And that is the difference between both young bulls. One has a more milky mother. He can be used on cows with moderate maternal traits to get better mothers and satisfactory steers.The other is for cows with good traits. Although their sire is very consistent in his genetics at the end of the day, the nature has the last word!
Have a nice Sunday from Germany :wave:

Jose, I would place them in the exact order you have them listed.

The first bull appears to have the most depth of body and overall mass, but maybe has more waste through his front and sheath. In our NA market this usually leads to cattle that will perform better on less concentrate diets. Hard to tell by the picture but maybe hind leg set is a bit too much??

The second two bulls have more leg than I like to see, and the third is tighter made, which again leads to an animal that needs more concentrate to perform.

Latest posts