USDA--POSTPONE THE BORDER OPENING!

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
CFIA Shuts Nine Saskatchewan Farms Down
March 01, 2007

A huge mistake on the agriculture front has resulted in nine Saskatchewan farms and as many as eight thousand cattle, deer, and other ruminants, being quarantined.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has shut them down, after ruminant meat and bone meal was mistakenly shipped out to those farms by a Saskatoon feed mill.

Those materials have been banned from cattle and other ruminant feed since 1997, due to the threat of mad cow disease.

The affected farms include two in the Swift Current area, the rest are around Saskatoon.

Doctor George Luterbach speaks for the C-F-I-A, he says a risk assessment on the affected animals is now taking place.

Luterbach says the feed mill had ordered "feather meal" from the rendering plant that supplies it.

"Feather meal" is not prohibited from entering cattle and ruminant feed.

Brent Pushkarenko reporting.

http://www.newstalk980.com/index.php?p= ... ry&id=7673

Golly OT sounds like they are doing what the law was set up to do , catch the mistakes :shock: Flounder posted 25ton US recall on the other board but I dont think he said what steps were being taken. This is the way these things should be handled , out in the open for all to see. If nothing else it makes people pay more atention so they will not be in the public spotlight!

7000 head cleared from quarentine. Too bad the USDA doesn't react as fast or agressively as the CFIA. OT could you please try to keep up, i know the pace of a canadian investigation is alot faster than you want but that is how we do things, react swiftly and decisively to ensure safety.

OT the CFIA investigation is ongoing but it appears the protein was supposed to be feather meal and actually was blood and bone meal from a US supplier. I am sure this is an honest mistake. Not that anyone would deliberately ship banned product to Canada. I thought that bone meal was banned in the US like it is in Canada. It this true. If true that a US supplier broke international laws boy are they in for some big trouble. Amazing a US supplier shipping something banned ? Just like boneless beef with bones in Japan. Is this supplier going to say canadian rules are too strict too?

More imfo out - the bone meal was caught before it hit the commercial consumer. But there was not a satisfactory cleaning before the next batch of feed went thru so anyone recieving any product from the next batch is being quarentined. Another farm released, a dairy near saskatoon is being clearer as they didn't use any of the suspect feed I haven't heard how many head were in that operation. Hey OT this really shows how fast the CFIA can react to an issue. Isn't it great how organized were are up here. It should really build confidence in our feed ban and survailence system. Too bad the bone meal came from a US supplier. I would hope they know that bone meal is banned maybe we have to teach them to read? Is bone meal not banned in the US? I thought you guys had a feed ban down there, what exactly is banned if SRM's aren't?

Do you think this will be made known around the world that this was a result of an "outside" company not up to par with their saftey;or because it was a U.S. company that it will never be mentioned again and shoved under the carpet.I am not being political I have a lot good friends farming in the States but it really "P's" me off when people start attacking the producer when we are putting our livelihood in the hands of others.This last situation is going to effect a lot of producers as a very well known operation of purebred cattle had to cancel their bull sale due to suspect feed.I really wish we as producers and dairy people would stop pointing the finger and work together because if that can't happen then the border should close completely and no non Canadian company should be allowed to own a feed lot; a processing plant or be a producer in Canada.

Really i don't know what will happen but i think the supplier should be held financially liable. I to have friends and relatives farming and ranching across the US, to be honest they are progressive and have big problems with R-CALF and affiliates. We have spoken and agree this BSE thing has to be eliminated not swept under the rug as some would like in the US. I know the owners of the feedlot cleared as well as the PB breeders you are speaking of i run the same breed of PB cattle as the affected producers who cancelled their bull sale. I do hope they haven't fed any of the suspect feed, and that they will be cleared as well. This is a case of unsuspecting cattlemen having to deal with a problem not of their making. Someone will have to compensate these producers , i just hope the responsilbe party doesn't hide or try to tie it up in court for years and take responsibility for their actions.

No one has yet posted a link to a website or a news article that verify's this as having anything to do with the US-- and folks down here are asking without getting anything....

Maybe saksartoon will post his sources.....

If it did come from the US- it appears as tho Customs/Immigration Canada must be as lax at letting things go north as they and USDA have been about allowing cattle to go south without proper paperwork as the SD and WA investigations show......

Whole Border movement needs investigating and possibly a whole new revampment... With the disease and terroism issues we should be tightening border restrictions- not weakening them....

OT thats ok you are well known and we don't expect you to answer any questions. As for the possibility of the supp coming from a US suppliers i am waiting for the CFIA to confirm it. I believe we should allow the investigation to be completed. Before condemming anyone unlike others, hey OT. Wink wink LMAO. It was supposed to be feather meal not bone and blood meal as the feed mill ordered feather meal. So was it mislabeled? OT who is this saksartoon? the screen name starts similar to mine but i haven't seen a post yet were are that persons posts? Maybe you want to build walls like china and east germany it worked well for them, maybe you can try their political system too. LOL If the supp did come from the US we wouldn't expect the US to try to sabbotage our feedban. What do you know? are you invloved? LMAO LOL LOL Get real OT.