US to buy meat..............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/us-to-buy-milk-and-meat-as-part-of-dollar155-billion-aid/ar-BB12FOAw?li=BBnbfcN

The Trump administration would like to make purchases of milk and meat products as part of a $15.5 billion initial aid package to farmers rattled by the coronavirus, said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue.

AAanrz2.img

How will that help those that were directly affected by the drop in market prices due to covid-19? Cash cattle dropped from around $1.20 to $0.85 in 2 weeks. The government buying beef in the future does absolutely nothing. Even if they wanted to buy beef today, that would only allow the packers to raise the price as the demand for beef is strong. There is a backlog of fat cattle and the bottleneck is at the packers due to shutdowns. Government buying beef will not help with that. We can't even get a bid on our cattle this week and have payments due along with needing to purchase seed and fertilizer.

Edit - In looking into this more, it appears this is a separate deal than the money that was targeted to directly help farmers and ranchers. So I suppose this is a good deal for everyone but tax payers. If we can get packers running at full strength maybe it will mean a little higher prices.

Write your congressmen and women and tell them that buying meat from the packers who have been making a millions screwing us is not going to help the farmers of this country one bit.

I got a call this morning from my local Farm Service Office and they said something about stimulis for Beef Producers and they want me to identify hay and pasture on the maps they are sending me. I have no idea what for.

sstterry said:
I got a call this morning from my local Farm Service Office and they said something about stimulis for Beef Producers and they want me to identify hay and pasture on the maps they are sending me. I have no idea what for.

That maybe different, but every year I have to fill out paperwork of every hay field, how much hay was gotten off each field, what size was the hay, what did you do with the rest of the property. They usually send it back at least once for me to redo something.

jltrent said:
sstterry said:

That maybe different, but every year I have to fill out paperwork of every hay field, how much hay was gotten off each field, what size was the hay, what did you do with the rest of the property. They usually send it back at least once for me to redo something.

We used to get that all the time too.. we stopped filling them out and stopped answering their calls and told them to stick that paperwork where the sun don't shine.. Having statistics on all that helps everyone except the producers.. Oh, look, they have more cattle, that means we don't need to bid as much to get them..

Here's a couple videos on the SBA
Here's a good one.. a publicly traded company with 5000 employees, previous profits of 40 million a year gets 20 million of SMALL BUSINESS BAILOUT
https://youtu.be/yP4rodsK41E

And the inevitable, there's no money left for anyone else
https://youtu.be/0lFO6XxD400

I don't know but maybe they figured it would be cheaper to give money to "small" businesses to pay their employees with rather than the employees collecting unemployment checks.

ga.prime said:
No market for hogs and there hasn''t been any bacon at the grocery store in 4 weeks.

So what is it? Just a supply chain issue like its saying in the news? A lack of trucks, processors etc. working?

Chicken prices here are through the roof. I am selling my eggs faster than I can get the chickens to lay them. Sold my cows in a hot minute in one sale, which never happens.

Kung flu special.
1 roped out corriente steer.
2 wild piglets
6 laying hens.
Includes 100' x50' pasture fenced.
10 x 10 hog pen
Shop built chicken tractor.
3 12 guage slugs
1 Hamilton Beach 1/8 hp meat grinder.
Contact Fence
Financing available.

saw a good article last night that implied a lot of the problem was stimulus checks and people just laying out of work. It's just easier for these union folks to sit on the couch - no pride at all.

cowgal604 said:
ga.prime said:
No market for hogs and there hasn''t been any bacon at the grocery store in 4 weeks.

So what is it? Just a supply chain issue like its saying in the news? A lack of trucks, processors etc. working?

Chicken prices here are through the roof. I am selling my eggs faster than I can get the chickens to lay them. Sold my cows in a hot minute in one sale, which never happens.
I don't know, I'd guess stores can't stock the shelves fast enough and slowed supply chain among other contributing factors. I'm not one of them, but I think a lot of people don't cook at home and only eat at restaurants which is no longer an option so that puts a much greater demand on buying from the grocery store.

ga.prime said:
I don't know but maybe they figured it would be cheaper to give money to "small" businesses to pay their employees with rather than the employees collecting unemployment checks.

Watch the videos I just posted, you'll find it's not the small businesses getting the money.. and that 135 billion is already all gone

Nesikep said:
ga.prime said:

Watch the videos I just posted, you'll find it's not the small businesses getting the money.. and that 135 billion is already all gone
Yeah, that's why I put "small" in quotation marks. Check out the definition of "small business".

ga.prime said:
Nesikep said:
ga.prime said:

Yeah, that's why I put "small" in quotation marks. Check out the definition of "small business".
Then the banks that are only giving the money to people who have outstanding debt to them...
It reeks..

To me, it actually sounds like a move designed to deliberately kill small businesses
  • Tell them they'll get about 4 weeks of payroll as a forgivable loan if they do the following
  • Tell them to not lay off or reduce wages or hours
  • Force them to give 2 weeks additional PAID sick leave for quarantining
  • Make sure they use up all their liquidity
  • Then tell them there's no money to bail them out

Meanwhile, any critically thinking business owner saw it coming there'd be no money for him, He shuttered the business early, laid people off, and might have some money left to start it up again

Latest posts