US Exports of Beef To China

Help Support CattleToday:

I have recently became friends with an Australian in the same business I am in. Commercial shrimping. I find it very ironic that China exports subsidized, pond raised, very cheap, antibiotic laced shrimp for the U.S. market. Antibiotics that are banned here in the U.S.. FDA rarely checks. Australia exports to China high quality wild harvested shrimp that are frozen and packed onboard their modern up to date fishing boats. They are getting a premium. As much as triple the value we are getting for similar products here. China exports the "junk seafood" to us while their middle class demands and pays for premium Australian shrimp. Maybe our beef will be in high demand in China.

zirlottkim":2xusqju0 said:
I have recently became friends with an Australian in the same business I am in. Commercial shrimping. I find it very ironic that China exports subsidized, pond raised, very cheap, antibiotic laced shrimp for the U.S. market. Antibiotics that are banned here in the U.S.. FDA rarely checks. Australia exports to China high quality wild harvested shrimp that are frozen and packed onboard their modern up to date fishing boats. They are getting a premium. As much as triple the value we are getting for similar products here. China exports the "junk seafood" to us while their middle class demands and pays for premium Australian shrimp. Maybe our beef will be in high demand in China.

Let's hope so. And we all better start raising a few chickens on the side for home consumption. My grandmother and greatgrandmother used to go out in the yard and grab a chicken, break its neck and cook it up for dinner. (I'm probably omitting a few steps in there :lol: Guess if I want chicken I will have to do the same. Or grow tofu? Easier to strangle? ;)

TennesseeTuxedo":3qvdodr4 said:
If we're smart and only ship CAB then the tariff won't matter, they'll gladly pay it.

What's CAB?

boondocks":3qvdodr4 said:
I read that in return we will allow (among other things) cooked Chinese poultry into the US. Given their adulterated food supply and complete lack of oversight of it, I sure hope that it will be clear to US consumers at the point of purchase that it's Chinese chicken (reminds me of a Barenaked Ladies song: anyone else?). But my understanding is that often it's baked (ha) into these trade deals that labels simply making people aware of the country of origin are often not allowed. I think that's wrong. Very wrong. When we're importing food from a country with zero consumer protection (h#ll, they don't care if they poison their own citizens), there's no way Americans don't have a right to know what they're eating. And if our beef export agreement allows that as a quid pro quo, then shame on us.

As long as it's sold at Costco, people will buy it.

TennesseeTuxedo":2aino09w said:
I thought you were punking me, if not then I owe you an apology.

I wasn't...I'm still new to all your guys' acronyms. But it's ok. I thought it had to do with a certain type of export, so I refined my google skills :)

warped04":11rvn1ll said:
TennesseeTuxedo":11rvn1ll said:
I thought you were punking me, if not then I owe you an apology.

I wasn't...I'm still new to all your guys' acronyms. But it's ok. I thought it had to do with a certain type of export, so I refined my google skills :)

In that case :welcome: to Cattle Today and don't let anybody tell you that CAB isn't the best beef you can buy.

Bright Raven":60vem06n said:
boondocks":60vem06n said:
I read that in return we will allow (among other things) cooked Chinese poultry into the US. Given their adulterated food supply and complete lack of oversight of it, I sure hope that it will be clear to US consumers at the point of purchase that it's Chinese chicken (reminds me of a Barenaked Ladies song: anyone else?). But my understanding is that often it's baked (ha) into these trade deals that labels simply making people aware of the country of origin are often not allowed. I think that's wrong. Very wrong. When we're importing food from a country with zero consumer protection (h#ll, they don't care if they poison their own citizens), there's no way Americans don't have a right to know what they're eating. And if our beef export agreement allows that as a quid pro quo, then shame on us.

Given China's food handling and food safety practices including the practice of recycling food, I would not buy any food product labeled "imported from China".
If you eat out in a restuarant you probably eat food from China. You would be surprised what comes from there. I know.

Latest posts