Help Support CattleToday:

Should the US border open or stay closed to Candaian Live cattle

• I think it should immediately

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It should stay closed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So who can you blame for BSE? I believe that both countries stopped feeding animal parts at the same time. Therefore the chance of BSE occurring is just as likely in the States. We do not blame the States for BSE but are frustrated that the border has remained closed. Meanwhile we are going broke. R-Calf SUCKS

No but that was a comment that we are blaming American's for BSE. Which is untrue. However the US seems to be blessed with such luck at not having a + case that originated there. Well my thoughts are that you are faster with gun. Shoot first and ask questions later. And carry a bigger shovel. Which should have been done here as well.

You just don't understand the situation up here. We have been battling drought & poor prices for years. Like the number of farms are dropping like flies prior to this and this happened!

a system to trace all cattle coming in to insure they do not enter the US breeding herd- We do not need another Canadian origin cow coming into our US herd that tests positive for BSE, especially if we have no way of tracing it back to Canada.

We've had a mandatory ID system in place for over two years. All you need to do is leave the CFIA tags in the cattle's ear when it comes into the feedlot. They provide traceability back through the Canadian salebarn right back to the farm of origin.

MULDOON":2xpqzdpo said:
Thank You for the post, Old Timer.
What does R-calf stand for?
All that I have seen so far is negative stuff about ya'll,

R-CALF USA- stands for Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund- United Stockgrowers of America

We've had a mandatory ID system in place for over two years. All you need to do is leave the CFIA tags in the cattle's ear when it comes into the feedlot. They provide traceability back through the Canadian salebarn right back to the farm of origin.[/quote]

Cattle rack rancher
Tags come out easily- either accidentally or on pupose. Before the border closure, many times the border inspectors found the tags already missing when they checked the trucks--We need a permanent unalterable system- the only one I know of available now is a hot iron brand. That is what is being used on the Mexican border. That is what NCBA and R-CALF have called for- but it will take a change in immigration and USDA regulations and policy to implement it.

This was one of the original proposals with the COOL law- but USDA fought it. If the COOL law was in place, I think the border would be open today- live cattle would already be being marked, and consumers would have a choice of buying Canadian beef or not- would take away much of the argument being used by the consumer groups to keeping the border closed.

??":2ba6tm6m said:
...........R-Calf SUCKS

Now, wait just a minute. I don't have any use for R-CALF. I posted that under the Cargill/R-CALF topic. But before you make a statement like that, you sure as Hell need to be willing to identify yourself!

i like selling my calves for 1.40 lb KEEP THE BORDER CLOSED!! what the hells a mater with you people~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Oldtimer":2pbkrvvz said:
dun":2pbkrvvz said:
Part of the reason I would like to see the border opened is to stick it up the butt of the R-calf (expletives deleted) that are screwing the kanucks and lining their pockets. Is there any doubt that they would do the same to us if given the chance?

dun

GURU OR NO GURU- Please explain. I am one of those R-CALF (expletive deleted) members. Would you tell me how I am lining my pockets and How I'm screwing the Canucks??

R-CALF did not close the border- BSE and the USDA policy did. R-CALF has not kept the border unopened- BSE and the USDA policy did. All R-CALF did was legally challenge USDA's failure to follow its own policies.

Am I lining my pockets because for the first time in years we are getting a fair price for our cattle? I will agree that it is an issue R-CALF has argued for years- that if we didn't have the huge glut of Canadian live cattle and beef that we would have much better cattle prices- and when the border closed it showed- When else have you seen cull cows selling for $70@cwt and cull bulls selling for $90@cwt? Have you ever sold $1.50 calves before? This with our export market closed.

All R-CALF has ever asked for is fair trade. Canadians wouldn't let American cattle into Canada for 10 years without costly testing and quarantine- there was a Canadian herd and a US herd- US cattle were considered diseased. This was at a time when the Canadians were in the process of doubling the size of the Canadian herd- way more than they could consume domestically and without developing any exports on their own- they became totally dependent on the US. Now that BSE has come about in Canada, they call it a North American herd and want us to forget about the disease concern we have.

All R-CALF (and NCBA) are asking is that all live cattle coming into the US be permanently marked and not allowed into the breeding herd until time can pass to prove the Canadian herd is BSE free. The US, so far, is still BSE free- we have not had a positive on a cow of US origin. Should we not do everything in our power to try to keep it that way?

My comment was too general. As in everything else, the rank and file don;t get the cream. I really think part of the reason the R-calf powers that be want the border closed is so they can get the cheap canadian cattle and ship the meat in as boneless. Getting in bed with the anti-meat crowd sure shot down whatever credibility they may have had.
My opinion

dun

dun":22nbuotc said:
Oldtimer":22nbuotc said:
dun":22nbuotc said:
Part of the reason I would like to see the border opened is to stick it up the butt of the R-calf (expletives deleted) that are screwing the kanucks and lining their pockets. Is there any doubt that they would do the same to us if given the chance?

dun

GURU OR NO GURU- Please explain. I am one of those R-CALF (expletive deleted) members. Would you tell me how I am lining my pockets and How I'm screwing the Canucks??

R-CALF did not close the border- BSE and the USDA policy did. R-CALF has not kept the border unopened- BSE and the USDA policy did. All R-CALF did was legally challenge USDA's failure to follow its own policies.

Am I lining my pockets because for the first time in years we are getting a fair price for our cattle? I will agree that it is an issue R-CALF has argued for years- that if we didn't have the huge glut of Canadian live cattle and beef that we would have much better cattle prices- and when the border closed it showed- When else have you seen cull cows selling for $70@cwt and cull bulls selling for $90@cwt? Have you ever sold $1.50 calves before? This with our export market closed.

All R-CALF has ever asked for is fair trade. Canadians wouldn't let American cattle into Canada for 10 years without costly testing and quarantine- there was a Canadian herd and a US herd- US cattle were considered diseased. This was at a time when the Canadians were in the process of doubling the size of the Canadian herd- way more than they could consume domestically and without developing any exports on their own- they became totally dependent on the US. Now that BSE has come about in Canada, they call it a North American herd and want us to forget about the disease concern we have.

All R-CALF (and NCBA) are asking is that all live cattle coming into the US be permanently marked and not allowed into the breeding herd until time can pass to prove the Canadian herd is BSE free. The US, so far, is still BSE free- we have not had a positive on a cow of US origin. Should we not do everything in our power to try to keep it that way?

My comment was too general. As in everything else, the rank and file don;t get the cream. I really think part of the reason the R-calf powers that be want the border closed is so they can get the cheap canadian cattle and ship the meat in as boneless. Getting in bed with the anti-meat crowd sure shot down whatever credibility they may have had.
My opinion

dun

dun
If you are talking about the 2 or 3 or 4 supposed R-CALF members that have bought cattle in Canada- I could give a darn less about them- If they lose money- fine- They may have a scheme to make money but I don't know how they can be making a fortune by selling them at the same price the Canadians are. Anyway they don't make the policy for the organization-the organizations feelings and actions are not always what I support, but they are the only group out there at least gives us a vote in the policy and has gone to battle for the cow/calf guy. It sounds like it is the packers that are reaping the windfalls- one Canadian article I saw today says that Cargill and Tyson are making almost 3 times the profits off Canadian beef now, then they did before BSE. These articles go on to suggest that these two corporations are in no hurry to open the border- why would they be, with profit increases like that? Right now the Canadians need an organization like R-CALF to go to battle for them.

One of the names I saw mentioned that bought calves in Canada is Pat Goggins- never met the man- don't know that much about him- Except that he has owned cattle in Canada since back in the 70's, probably long before- has owned more cattle than you or I will ever see- and probably has put millions $ into the Canadian economy- but now all of a sudden him and his money are evil.

Alot of the bickering across the border goes way back before b.s.e. was ever known of . I know of a deal twenty years ago that was foiled by the Canadians. There were 25 pregnant recips which had been bled and passed health but there was no blood work on the embryo's dead sire. The Canadians wouldn't let the cattle through . Stopped a very valuable deal but that was in the eighties.Old wounds heal slow.Now the northwestern ranchers have a shot at them and their going to take it.I'm sure it won;t be the last volly though.

Ollie

Years ago we were prevented from buying an Excellent bull down there. Because he tested positive for bluetongue.Works both ways.

frenchie":bh9g0hjy said:
Ollie

Years ago we were prevented from buying an Excellent bull down there. Because he tested positive for bluetongue.Works both ways.
I understand if the cattle were hot for bluetongue but these cattle were clean.

Latest posts