Urinary Tract Infection?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My calf has reduced her urine output. I'm new at this, so cows may not pee alot each time they pee. She pees fairly often, but it doesn't seem like tons. I see her position herself to pee, but the stream only last for a tiny bit. I've also noticed a pretty steady dripping or leaking. I caught a few drips this am to bring to the vet. Am I overly concerned or do they tend to urinate in smaller quantities than say a horse. She is a mini cow, 4 months old, about 170 pounds. She has a hernia that is being operated on in 2 weeks, so I don't know if it could be impacting something. One other thing, I wouldn't necessarily characterize. the urin as cloudy, but there may be a smidgen of cloudiness. Thanks for never getting sick of my questions. Chris

Thanks.

[email protected]

Just back from the vet. I only had a few drops of her urine for a sample. (Did you ever try waiting on a cow to pee?) He said there was a trace of blood and a trace of protein, so it may be the beginning of cystitis. I will bring in more of a sample for the microscope. He said put some salt on her food and in her bottle to see if it will make her thirstier. She seems to be drinking enough, but I'll even give her an extra bottle with less replacer and more water until it seems to clear up.

[email protected]

Penicillins happen to concentrate through the kidneys so that you have higher than blood levels in the bladder. Just a thought.....

V

> Just back from the vet. I only had
> a few drops of her urine for a
> sample. (Did you ever try waiting
> on a cow to pee?) He said there
> was a trace of blood and a trace
> of protein, so it may be the
> beginning of cystitis. I will
> bring in more of a sample for the
> microscope. He said put some salt
> on her food and in her bottle to
> see if it will make her thirstier.
> She seems to be drinking enough,
> but I'll even give her an extra
> bottle with less replacer and more
> water until it seems to clear up.

Chris, I know this may sound silly,but I used to raise calves from a dariy starting at only 3 to 4 days old.Their mother normaly helps them to make their kidneys act by stimulating them with the washing of her tounge. We use to duplcate the same effect by using a wet paper towel with warm water,rubbing it across the area's will help bowells and kidneys to act. I have found this helps if they get constapated to,it does help to give them luke warm water every so often to.

[email protected]

Thanx T.D. and Vicki. I care for her to the point of probably being neurotic, so believe it or not, since she still seems tobe constantly dripping or leaking, I was wiping her off with a dry paper towel nd she did seem to void a little more. aHence, I'll be trying the warm, wet towel. I'm giving her another bottle around 8 pm (about 4 hours after her last bottle)to get more liquids in her. Hope tomorrow brings a more regular day. Actually after umbilical surgery in Sept., a post surgery infection, and now the hernia and this, I hope it all goes smooth soon :)

[email protected]

Latest posts