URGENT: Tallest Horse in deadly colic situation

Help Support CattleToday:

CSalter

Reaction score
As leaders, supporters, and contributers of the horse industry, I urge you to read the following message.
There is a horse named Thor located at Spring Branch, Texas, near San Antonio. He is part of The Knights Of the Guild operation, a non-profit dedicated to teaching values and character to
children using the magic of horses, knights, jousting, and medieval themes. This includes
live tournaments and demonstrations, run by decorated former Naval officer Randall Parr.
Thor is a major part in their cause, drawing spectators to his size and remarkably
gentle nature. But he is in a life or death situation-
Thor is suffering from a condition called sand colic, in which a 200-pound
mass has developed in his lower intestine, and is slowly killing him. Attached is an article
about his very dire situation, please read it, and forward it to everyone you can- he doesn't have much time.

My most sincere thank you,

Charnae Salter
1-(210)-584-0659

_________________________________________________________________________________

THOR IS IN A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION

THOR (The World's Tallest Living Horse that so many know and love) is critically ill and has been taken to Texas A&M University Large Animal Clinic in College Station, Texas.

Suffering pain, anemia, severe weight loss and other symptoms, Thor was seen by our regular team of local vets who all agreed that he needed to be sent to A & M at once. Texas A & M is one of the top veterinary teaching hospitals in the world and has the state of the art facilities and top vets needed to diagnose and treat animals of Thor's size. Upon his arrival there, it was discovered that his symptoms were being caused by about 200 pounds of hardened sand trapped in one area of his lower intestine that has to come out or he will not survive.

It is normal for horses to ingest and pass sand because they are herbivores, eat naturally off the ground and always ingest some earth along with the grass they consume. The great amount of sand inside of Thor, however, has mysteriously accumulated over an undetermined period of time and not revealed itself up to now because of his super-sized anatomy. Horses of normal proportion could not survive this much intestinal blockage, commonly called "sand colic". Their ability to digest food would cease, they would go into shock and die. The doctors at A & M feel that Thor is near this point, and have been feverishly trying to remove the sand medically (with massive quantities of psyllium) for the past week. There has been no noticeable improvement, but they want to continue this method for another seven days to give it every possible chance to work.

There is a very slim hope that this treatment will have some effect, but should it not, then the doctors say that Thor will need to have immediate surgery to save his life. While surgery is always a last resort with no guarantees (especially for big horses), the survival rate of this procedure today is reported to be up to 80 - 86% (American Association of Equine Practitioners). We feel that if the doctors believe surgery to be Thor's best chance to survive and live a qualitative, happy life, then we have to take that chance if we are able.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT A&M SURGEONS MAY NOT PERFORM THIS LIFE-SAVING OPERATION ON THOR. WHY?

First, because Thor has no insurance to cover this surgery and the recuperative care he will need. We must, therefore, absorb the cost of Thor's treatment at Texas A & M on our own without insurance and have no way to cover it alone. We have already paid $5,000 in diagnostic testing, and have been advised to expect at least an additional $10,000 veterinary bill from the University to cover his surgery and recovery time. This includes the discount normally extended to us by the University. Unlike a human hospital, A & M will not perform the life-saving operation if they do not have a guarantee of immediate payment in full.

Secondly, A & M does not have a payment plan. They require half of the surgery cost up front before they will operate and the other half directly after the procedure. We must raise the funds for this operation now or the doctors will not perform the surgery and Thor will not live. In fact, if they cannot operate, then they will want to euthanize him for humanitarian reasons. One might ask why don't we don't move him to another facility that has a payment plan. The reason is because most animal hospitals don't have one, and A & M is the only facility in this part of the world that can conduct this type of operation on a horse this size and be able to deal with any emergency that may arise during surgery.

WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT

As you know, Thor is a very special horse who is known and loved by many people. If just 100 of his friends would pull together and give $100 each toward his A&M veterinary care within a week, then we can give payment assurance to the University, approve the surgery, and give him the best possible chance to recover. Can you join this emergency effort? Do you know others who would? If so, then please let them know quickly and put them in touch with us. We will need to render a decision by this time next week. Anything will help.

Your tax deductible donations can be provided as follows:

1. By credit card (fastest). You may make a designated, secure credit card donation for Thor through PAYPAL. Simply click on the "Help Thor/Donate" button on the right side of this page and you will be directed to PAYPAL to be led through a quick, safe and easy process;

2. By check. Send a check made out to The Knights of The Guild, and include a note that indicates "Help Thor".

Mail to: Knights of The Guild, P.O. Box 1190, Spring Branch, TX 78070. If you opt for this method, then please email us at [email protected] to let us know that your help is on the way.

We have worked with horses for a long time, and are not alarmists. This is truly a life or death situation with a deadline and we can only ask once. We sincerely appreciate anything you can do to help Thor at your earliest possible convenience. If you cannot give financially, then please offer a prayer for him.

We want to thank all of you who are already responding to this need. We will keep you regularly posted on Thor's condition through this web page.

For validation of the emergency nature of this situation, you may contact any of the following attending veterinarians who are aware of Thor's condition and they will be happy to speak with you:

Dr. Jake Wells - 210-659-0000 Dr. Kenny Patin - 830-438-2269 Dr. William Symm - 210-651-6375

Sincerely,

All of us at Knights of The Guild

Is there a Nigerian Princess involved, as well? How about the UK Lottery? Am I a big winner?

If that even IS true, I'm sure the horse is dead by now. Even minutes make a difference with colic, and it sure took a lot of minutes to type that post up. :p

Lammie":2b6x71ca said:
Is there a Nigerian Princess involved, as well? How about the UK Lottery? Am I a big winner?

I'll gladly donate every penny I've won in the UK Lottery last week. ;-)

hillsdown":2iw9hum0 said:
http://sanantonio.about.com/od/photogalleries/ig/San-Antonio-Stock-Show---Rodeo/Thor---Largest-Living-Horse.htm

If he's that famous, he does not need donations to get him the surgery. This isn't the way to go about it, at any rate. I don't know anything about colic, but I am betting it isn't something you can wait to treat until you get donations from a mass email.

Well I googled Thor and found the same post on a bunch of other boards but nothing about any horse named Thor as the worlds tallest...The worlds tallest is Radar and before him was Goliath who I believe is still alive also....

Whether this is true or not, I'm sure there are some die hard animal lover that would give them money. I get tired of organization such as this one always asking for donations. We have a horse rescue farm here that is always asking for hay, or money to help a horse that needs surgery, but they have like a dozen or so horses to take care of. they buy horses from a local auction, take it to their farm and put up for adoption. Don't get me wrong i like horses, but I feel they ( rescue group) should have a steady flow of hay and money to pay for the horses besides asking for donations all the time.

WHAT A SCAM!

I don't know a dam'd thing about horse colic but I can garantee if an animal that was used in something to do with charity or non-profit organization A&M would have stepped up to the plate and done the deed for free. Or for that matter most vets would have done the same thing.

This PI$$'$ me off to think someone would attempt to spread this kind of scam using Texas A&M as a scape goat.

They are not valid----its a scam----and not a bad one either since my first thought when i read it was; hmmmm i cant afford 100 bucks but would 25 do? , then I thought...U need a coffee Charlotte, then I thought: why would they stipulate 100 bucks? wouldn't any contributions be welcome? better go feed the horses and steers! :lol:

I just received replies from Okrah and Ellen. They're not what we wanted to hear, but never the less we got responses.!

Okrah in abbreviated form has declined because the horse is not her prefered color, and she's been ridden previously by Dr. Phil.(Stump Broked)

Ellen said she'd help, but the Horse is wrong sexed for her interests.She referred me to Hosey O' Donell.

Any other suggestions?

I'm impressed. You have one post, and you're asking for money...........

Anyone that wants to donate anything can always donate to my children fund. They're expensive to raise and certainly more important than the soon to be dead horse.

I take cash, credit cards, money orders, and paypal. Anyone wanting to donate to me, let me know and I'll provide details for you to send payment.

Latest posts