URGENT: Bull calf bottle feeding issue.

Help Support CattleToday:

Medow Farms

Reaction score
I have recently started a cattle farm. We have just bought a bull calf from a bigger farm and when ever I try to bottle feed his colostrum he would eather try to spit out the nipple or just let the juice fall out his mouth. He is 20 hours old and was transported at about 8 hours of age. Please help.

Tube it, eating is not an option. Does your bull calf have any other behaviors or symptoms that cause you to believe he could be sick? What kind of calf?

Medow Farms":r2n8etm7 said:
I have recently started a cattle farm. We have just bought a bull calf from a bigger farm and when ever I try to bottle feed his colostrum he would eather try to spit out the nipple or just let the juice fall out his mouth. He is 20 hours old and was transported at about 8 hours of age. Please help.

I just started with this bottle calf stuff about 2 months ago, and I've learned alot.. I have had the same problem.. You MUST get him colostrum first, and he probably needs electrolytes.. Back him in a corner, and stand across him, put the nipple in his mouth and gently squeeze his mouth together. Keep trying that, and if he still doesn't suck, you will have tube him or get a vet to do it if you don't know how. I have even took a syringe and squrited milk/electrolytes in there mouth. I'm sure there are other people on here with better advice, and more knowledge, but thats what I've done and so far its worked. I have 2 weaned, and 3 on the bottle right now. Keep us updated on his progress, or if I can be of any help send me a PM and I will do my best. But read the guide that I linked to below, it will help you alot.

Here is a good bottle calf guide for newbies:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49811

Well I have noticed that he lays in an akward way. He acts as if the huge farm never supported him with any calstrum because he was a bull. I gave him some calstrum in a bottle last night and put a light towel over his head to keep him calm and he seemed to calm down. He seemed alot better in the morning. I will try to help him suck today. Thanks alot.

Portalesman":21m85v8g said:
Cut milk replacer in half but use the same amount of water, then drench with electrolytes.

FINALLY......someone that agrees with the way I've always done it. :clap:

TexasBred":58k00hhb said:
Portalesman":58k00hhb said:
Cut milk replacer in half but use the same amount of water, then drench with electrolytes.

Looks like TB has gone and made himself an alias so he can get someone to agree with him! :lol2:
Nah, thats ok ~ its what I finally had to do too. :roll:
:compute:

angie":2aws8bjp said:
TexasBred":2aws8bjp said:
Portalesman":2aws8bjp said:

Looks like TB has gone and made himself an alias so he can get someone to agree with him! :lol2:
Nah, thats ok ~ its what I finally had to do too. :roll:
:compute:

Of all the luck...I try to pull a slick one and Angie sho ;-) ws up and catches me. :lol: I've argued for ages that it's the powder that scours.....not the water, but some insist on cutting back on the water and keeping that goog 20/20 powder roaring thru the calves. Hydration is most important at this time and it don't happen if you cut back on the water and what water you give him goes out so fast he doesn't know he had a drink. Now I gotta convince HD..

TexasBred":1mnleuar said:
Now I gotta convince HD..
Ah TB ~ I hate to break it to you, but I could not disagree with you more. :lol2: I am with hd on this one. I do not mess with the recommended mix on the bag. I mix it neither heavy nor light ~ never. I strongly agree that electrolytes are necessary as well as probiotics. However, I pay over $70 per bag of replacer, the people manufacturing it better know enough to tell me what is best for my calf in the absence of a cow. If it helps at all, I understand your logic.

interestingly, the directions on my VERY VERY expensive starter replacer - $190 for 5kg - say "if the animal develops diarrhoea reduce to three quarter strength for several days, then gradually increase".

I've never done it though ... normally I just alternate bottles milk and electrolytes ... and/or cut down overall on the amount of milk slightly

angie":o2n77y4o said:
TexasBred":o2n77y4o said:
Ah TB ~ I hate to break it to you, but I could not disagree with you more. :lol2: I am with hd on this one. I do not mess with the recommended mix on the bag. I mix it neither heavy nor light ~ never. I strongly agree that electrolytes are necessary as well as probiotics. However, I pay over $70 per bag of replacer, the people manufacturing it better know enough to tell me what is best for my calf in the absence of a cow. If it helps at all, I understand your logic.

No doubt that ya'll probably mix it with Nuflor and B-12 and inject it into a vein as well. :lol2: :drink: :help: Most likely, as with many products that are similar, the instructions are often based on the particular product mix which might explain the difference in applications. And I suspect that TB might also be considering the overall health of the animal, acclimation, any meds given, environmental factors, as well as the hydration he mentioned.

angie":2rti7zhe said:
TexasBred":2rti7zhe said:

Not a problem following mixing instructions but most bottle calves don't weigh 100 lbs. and many milk replacers give mixing instructions for a 100 lb. calf. The only time I dilute the mix is IF one comes down with the scours and then I will reduce the milk replacer by about 25% but still make sure he/she gets the full 4 quarts of water per day or more if they'll drink it. Catch it before it gets to the point of needing electrolytes and probiotics and only have to dilute the mix for one or two days....Watch the eyes, ears and droppings several times a day and catch potential probelms before they become a real wreck.

Latest posts