Upside down tomatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

We hung up 4 buckets with 4 plants, so not much investment if it fails. The appeal, besides the sheer novelty of it, was the "no weeding" part.

My dad gave it to me a few days ago and wanted me to try it. He put a plant that will probably produce good size tomatoes, maybe a little too big for hanging upside down. The plant is trying to grow towards the the sun, so I think that most of the tomatoes will probably end up falling off or breaking the plant as they grow.....especially with the way the winds blows here. I'm curious to see how it goes too.

My wife tried that last year. The tomato plant was about 8" tall when she started it in the spring. When she pitched it out in about September, it was 8" tall. Never did anything but stay alive. Gotta wonder...

My father-in-law is going to try it. He had blight in his little garden so thought he'd try this. I'll plant some too in my field just in case.

I tried this last year, had large plants even though they grew upwards none of the tomatoes were large enough to eat.

Mine is just growing, no blooms on it not even the beginning of a bloom noticeable. The strong winds and heavy rains we got early this morning broke two of my tomato plants that were growing in 5 gallon buckets. They were doing so good too, blooms and all. :mad: That's 6 plants I've lost so far. :frowns:

Stinkin monsoon type weather. :roll:

edit: I have to correct myself, I got one bloom on my upside down tomato plant.

All mine has been doing is turning up towards the sun and turning yellow on the ends. The only bloom it had turned brown and fell off. :???:

Ours all died. A couple of them pulled out of the buckets, guess when the plant grew a little the roots couldn't hold the weight or something. If we had made the holes in the bucket any smaller, we couldn't have got the plants in there without damage. The others just "failed to thrive" and shriveled up and died. I might try again, but put the holes in the SIDE of the bucket and let them drape down instead of hanging upside down??

If you are set on upside down gardening here's another idea you may want to try. Seems to be working ok for now.

IMG_2675.jpg

Jo,

Yours look very healthy and are doing well from the looks of it. :nod:

I was checking mine the other day and found one tiny tomato....I don't know that it will produce more than that, but there's still hope. :D

I think the upside down tomato is mainly a gimmick. On the commercial they show plants loaded with perfectly ripe tomatoes which is obviously fake. I am growing one in a 5 gallon bucket just to test. I am watering and fertilizing it regularly. It has about 6 tomatoes on it, but is not performing near a well as my other plants.

Fred":12hg96q3 said:
I think the upside down tomato is mainly a gimmick. On the commercial they show plants loaded with perfectly ripe tomatoes which is obviously fake. I am growing one in a 5 gallon bucket just to test. I am watering and fertilizing it regularly. It has about 6 tomatoes on it, but is not performing near a well as my other plants.

Same here. Its now yellowing up.

my dad gave me mine.....I got one little tomato off of it and I don't see any more growing.
My mother's has 4 or 5. I'll stick with tomatoes plants grown upright in the garden....as many tomatoes as I've picked I figure I will be eating them way into October....with each meal. :lol:

Latest posts