Upset with packer..

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Well, we were at Shop N Save and my husband says, "come look at this!"...so I go over and read the pkg of meat he's looking at that says the source of the meat was any of Mexico and (forget the other foreign countries listed). So, we go to our local packer and pick up some cuts I didn't have in the freezer. Feeling pretty good about our purchase (like we were eating local meat). Today we're in the farm store and run into an old friend who says, "Hey! I was in ____________packing and asked her if I was eating local meat and she said...."No" so I asked her who's meat I was eating and she said, "I don't know...he gets it from a big facility up north". She was so...mad and is going to probably start getting her meat from US.

First, we couldn't believe the coincidence that we were just looking at/talking about that and then for her to say the same thing...but second, he's not even using local farmers to fill his retail freezers! What a crock!! We're spittin mad. This brought up a topic that I know has been discussed on here before, but we can't even be sure we're getting our own meat back!!! Now husband wants to process it right here on the farm...

Any of you done that? Does it have to be USDA inspected on your own place?

my understanding if you charge for processing or if you sell the meat it has to be an inspected facility.
We built a meat room for a buddy a few yrs ago with all the saws, grinders and everything and a big cooler room
we were told we could process our own meat or anyone elses as long as we didn't charge for it and we could NOT sell any of the meat we processed

If you sell it to the public it has to be inspected by USDA. But if you sell it to them hanging or on the hoof you can butcher it and but the process must be inspected by the state. I think the catch is when you sell it in individual packages.

I really want to do this myself. After studying this for two years I finally met the person in the government that knows all the answers and actually is EXCITED that I want to do this and actually WANTS to help make this happen. Now its a matter of funding.

Alan just posted pictures yesterday on one of these boards, maybe it is on the everything else board. The pictures are of a processor who came to his farm and did the whole thing in 45 minutes. I get mine USDA inspected and then store it and sell it off my farm. I am unclear on why you are upset with the local beef retailer? Is this someone who also processes beef? If it is just a beef retailer then I would not expect them to have to sell local beef, there are a huge number of variables and economic factors that determine where the large slaughterhouses are and the distribution chain, makes sense once you study it. Most beef retailers can not depend on local farmers for supply, not only is there a big problem with consistency but also supply and price.

Every slaughter house gets accused of not returning all of the meat or of substituting some one elses. That's because a lot of people think they've raised a better animal then they have and they expect a lot more steaks then burger from a carcass. The vast majority of the processors are 100% honest, if they weren;t they wouldn't still be in business. Having been on both sides of the picture I've seen people watch the carcass hung and when they look at it swear it can;t be theirs cuase it's too fat/too thin/not marbeled/etc.

dun":3mtxrtuz said:
Every slaughter house gets accused of not returning all of the meat or of substituting some one elses. That's because a lot of people think they've raised a better animal then they have and they expect a lot more steaks then burger from a carcass. The vast majority of the processors are 100% honest, if they weren;t they wouldn't still be in business. Having been on both sides of the picture I've seen people watch the carcass hung and when they look at it swear it can;t be theirs cuase it's too fat/too thin/not marbeled/etc.

Dun,
I'm not thinking I've raised a better animal than I have....I have paid dearly for numbers...(on both top and bottom). If "like produces like" then I'm just wanting to be absolute sure I (and my customers) are getting MY beef. I think I've run into far too many "unethical" people to really trust that those exceptional animals arent sitting on the tables of that packer's buddies. I'm just not too trusting of anyone (and I know thats a bad way to be).

Jogeephus":3ff7qiyw said:
If you sell it to the public it has to be inspected by USDA. But if you sell it to them hanging or on the hoof you can butcher it and but the process must be inspected by the state. I think the catch is when you sell it in individual packages.

I really want to do this myself. After studying this for two years I finally met the person in the government that knows all the answers and actually is EXCITED that I want to do this and actually WANTS to help make this happen. Now its a matter of funding.

Jo, Keep me posted... I think I have some connections to a really good butcher so I'm serious about the possability....

hayray":2675fe5x said:
I am unclear on why you are upset with the local beef retailer? Is this someone who also processes beef? If it is just a beef retailer then I would not expect them to have to sell local beef, there are a huge number of variables and economic factors that determine where the large slaughterhouses are and the distribution chain, makes sense once you study it. Most beef retailers can not depend on local farmers for supply, not only is there a big problem with consistency but also supply and price.
Hayray...Where we live is a farm community with cattle off every major/back road. Yes, his primary is processing with a retail front...Knowing a lot of these farmers personally, I would feel very comfortable as a consumer knowing my beef was coming from any one of them...and I think this was the problem with our friend. She was hoppin mad that the meat she was purchasing came from "who knows where". I understand there could be legitimate reasons for going outside the area but people are being duped into thinking they're supporting their friends and neighbors.

Wisteria Farms":3sui087j said:
Now husband wants to process it right here on the farm...

Since we are in both in IL, this is imformtation I learned last year. Check with your extension office.

We went to a workshop sponsored by the UofI extension last year. Here in IL they said you cannot slaughter on farm (I think they said it was illegal -- but not for sure my husband went to the livestock breakout, i went to the crops portion) Also there is are no butchers around who will take a carcass unless it comes from a USDA slaughter facility and they transport it.

There are several processors around here, we personally use Trenton and have been happy with them (they will slaughter and hangs the beef then you can take it home and butcher if you want). I am thinking of calling Grants Fork (because they are now closer) and alot of people use Korte (I won't). I think its just nature to wonder if you are getting yours back...but honestly, after almost 10 years of taking animals, I can tell that what we are getting came from the animal we brought in.

Jogeephus":3sui087j said:

Also in IL (per the workshop), you can apply for some kind of license to sell beef (seems like it was cheap $25 or $50). You have your animal butchered, processed & packaged...then you can sell it by the lb.. You might have to have a certified kitchen or freezer area.

I know a man around here had some beef processed and labeled, saw it being sold in the grocery store.

donnaIL":8z4y8m6h said:
Wisteria Farms":8z4y8m6h said:
Now husband wants to process it right here on the farm...

Since we are in both in IL, this is imformtation I learned last year. Check with your extension office.

We went to a workshop sponsored by the UofI extension last year. Here in IL they said you cannot slaughter on farm (I think they said it was illegal -- but not for sure my husband went to the livestock breakout, i went to the crops portion) Also there is are no butchers around who will take a carcass unless it comes from a USDA slaughter facility and they transport it.

There are several processors around here, we personally use Trenton and have been happy with them (they will slaughter and hangs the beef then you can take it home and butcher if you want). I am thinking of calling Grants Fork (because they are now closer) and alot of people use Korte (I won't). I think its just nature to wonder if you are getting yours back...but honestly, after almost 10 years of taking animals, I can tell that what we are getting came from the animal we brought in.

Jogeephus":8z4y8m6h said:

Also in IL (per the workshop), you can apply for some kind of license to sell beef (seems like it was cheap $25 or $50). You have your animal butchered, processed & packaged...then you can sell it by the lb.. You might have to have a certified kitchen or freezer area.

I know a man around here had some beef processed and labeled, saw it being sold in the grocery store.

We have a Certified American Murray Grey Beef program I'm going to look into further... might be able to get one of the local grocers to carry it.

the truth is we dont know for sure we get our own meat when we have calves processed.an yes some lockers will switch meat on you.i beleive you should get your own meat back.not some1 elses.

donnaIL":3v5541fr said:
If you are selling it by the lb as processed beef you will have to collect sales tax on it as you are selling a product to an end-user and are selling retail

you are better off selling by the live weight and have them pay for processing then the sales tax does not come into play

Angus Cowman":2t1hos11 said:
donnaIL":2t1hos11 said:
If you are selling it by the lb as processed beef you will have to collect sales tax on it as you are selling a product to an end-user and are selling retail

you are better off selling by the live weight and have them pay for processing then the sales tax does not come into play

If you are a wholesaler you do not need to charge sales tax I believe. I personally think you make a lot more money selling by the pound then hanging weight, at least in my area.

Wisteria Farms":2zfwnzp7 said:
dun":2zfwnzp7 said:

Dun,
I'm not thinking I've raised a better animal than I have....I have paid dearly for numbers...(on both top and bottom). If "like produces like" then I'm just wanting to be absolute sure I (and my customers) are getting MY beef. I think I've run into far too many "unethical" people to really trust that those exceptional animals arent sitting on the tables of that packer's buddies. I'm just not too trusting of anyone (and I know thats a bad way to be).

Do you have any reason to accuse them other than you are not trusting? I am just asking cause I think it is always a good idea to be careful even speculating about that when you don't know. I am with Dun, I have seen so many people wrongfully accuse the slaughter house when there really isn't any indication this was being done. A good check could be to weight your cattle live and then see what the dressing percentages end up being.

Not trying to throw a wrench in this but I would advise any one wanting to do this to check with your local health dept.I'm sure different states are going to have different laws and specs on a butcher shop.I've also thought about doing this later when I get a better client base and until then i'll just haul them to local shop.

Just a tidbit of useful information.

For all of you that use an abattoir to process your very own beef ,,,,,,,DNA test. Before your animals leave your place take some follicles from their tails and place them in individually marked envelopes..Let the abattoir know that you DNA . Once you get your meat back and if you are ever in doubt about it , send the samples in..

It is done all the time, and the more it is done the better chances are of you getting your own meat ..

We have done it before and all 4 animals were not ours,,after exposing them and threatening litigation they reimbursed us for all of the costs and then some, they have since been run out of business.. :D

hayray":37c4yemo said:
Wisteria Farms":37c4yemo said:
dun":37c4yemo said:

Dun,

Do you have any reason to accuse them other than you are not trusting? I am just asking cause I think it is always a good idea to be careful even speculating about that when you don't know. I am with Dun, I have seen so many people wrongfully accuse the slaughter house when there really isn't any indication this was being done. A good check could be to weight your cattle live and then see what the dressing percentages end up being.

#1 I'm not accusing anyone...all I'm saying is that locals are assuming they are supporting their neighbors/local farmers and they are NOT.
#2 I said "how do we know we're getting our OWN meat back"....and I wanted to know what people knew about selling off the farm as that is the ONLY sure way you know that whats on your table and that of your customers is the good meat that you've spent a lot of time and money to try to perfect. Believe me, I don't mean to be untrusting but how many times have WE ALL been duped by people we thought would never?

hillsdown":3pu5mfwc said:
Just a tidbit of useful information.

For all of you that use an abattoir to process your very own beef ,,,,,,,DNA test. Before your animals leave your place take some follicles from their tails and place them in individually marked envelopes..Let the abattoir know that you DNA . Once you get your meat back and if you are ever in doubt about it , send the samples in..

It is done all the time, and the more it is done the better chances are of you getting your own meat ..

We have done it before and all 4 animals were not ours,,after exposing them and threatening litigation they reimbursed us for all of the costs and then some, they have since been run out of business.. :D
HD...THANK YOU...thats the most useful piece of information yet... we already do a lot of Igenity/GeneStar so this wouldn't be a big deal.
I'm sorry you lost 4 animals but I'm glad they're out of business...just out of curiosity, how long were they IN business? A reputable packer?

Wisteria Farms":295x73o4 said:
#1 I'm not accusing anyone...all I'm saying is that locals are assuming they are supporting their neighbors/local farmers and they are NOT.
#2 I said "how do we know we're getting our OWN meat back"....and I wanted to know what people knew about selling off the farm as that is the ONLY sure way you know that whats on your table and that of your customers is the good meat that you've spent a lot of time and money to try to perfect. Believe me, I don't mean to be untrusting but how many times have WE ALL been duped by people we thought would never?
Honest people behave honestly, shysters don;t. Sometimes you have to pay the enrollment fee to get the schooling

Latest posts