Upset with packer..

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria, they had been in business for about 15 years but it was the first time we used them . We did a tour of their facilities and they were immaculte and they over the counter beef for sale looked wonderful..The only reason we used them to begin with was because I knew the lady that helped run the operation and she also did all the wrapping. Her and her husband lived across the street from us when I was a teen and I even baby sat their kids...We haven't spoken since and they live only 2 miles from us..She denied that she knew of what was going on but I say bullsh@t as a lot of stuff has become aware to us about her and her family; in fact her son is in jail right now for kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon.. :roll:

We now use an abattoir that has been around for a long time (35 + years) and although I have heard a few people b@tch about things I have yet to have a problem. I have always been very happy with our meat that they have done, but have tested the last 2 out of 4 animals just in case and they were ours. If you are unsure make sure you "mention" that all of your animals have DNA on file I guarantee you will get your own meat or at least most of it. Also do not use anything but an inspected processor..

hillsdown":2awaheoh said:
Wisteria, they had been in business for about 15 years but it was the first time we used them . We did a tour of their facilities and they were immaculte and they over the counter beef for sale looked wonderful..The only reason we used them to begin with was because I knew the lady that helped run the operation and she also did all the wrapping. Her and her husband lived across the street from us when I was a teen and I even baby sat their kids...We haven't spoken since and they live only 2 miles from us..She denied that she knew of what was going on but I say bullsh@t as a lot of stuff has become aware to us about her and her family; in fact her son is in jail right now for kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon.. :roll:

We now use an abattoir that has been around for a long time (35 + years) and although I have heard a few people b@tch about things I have yet to have a problem. I have always been very happy with our meat that they have done, but have tested the last 2 out of 4 animals just in case and they were ours. If you are unsure make sure you "mention" that all of your animals have DNA on file I guarantee you will get your own meat or at least most of it. Also do not use anything but an inspected processor..

HD, how much does it cost to do that? So what do you do when you get the meat back, is that when you take a sample of the beef and send in with the first sample to see if they match? Also, how does it take to get the samples back.

I don't no much about all this, but i do no some folks in Mo. who sell meat off their farm. They sell sides and quarters and by the cut. What they have told me is on the cuts they have to collect sales tax, but not on sides and quarters. Most states have USDA inspected plants that will process for you.

dun":h6t04yc8 said:
Wisteria Farms":h6t04yc8 said:
#1 I'm not accusing anyone...all I'm saying is that locals are assuming they are supporting their neighbors/local farmers and they are NOT.
#2 I said "how do we know we're getting our OWN meat back"....and I wanted to know what people knew about selling off the farm as that is the ONLY sure way you know that whats on your table and that of your customers is the good meat that you've spent a lot of time and money to try to perfect. Believe me, I don't mean to be untrusting but how many times have WE ALL been duped by people we thought would never?
Honest people behave honestly, shysters don;t. Sometimes you have to pay the enrollment fee to get the schooling
And most of the time, if you ask around you can find out where's the best place to go to school without having to enroll! :lol2:

Sorry to hear you have problems I hope it all gets straightened out for you. I did do alot of checking around before I decided on a packer and thought that was really important. Cause one of the other considerations besides you not getting your meat back was about the quality of processing also, that can make or break ya sometimes.

hayray":26aflyr3 said:
Sorry to hear you have problems I hope it all gets straightened out for you. I did do alot of checking around before I decided on a packer and thought that was really important. Cause one of the other considerations besides you not getting your meat back was about the quality of processing also, that can make or break ya sometimes.
Can't say I'm having problems...just wondering... but thanks.
HDs advice on the DNA testing was on the money... in today's world there just has to be a system of checks and balances for EVERYONE...but I'm curious as well...how do you DNA the meat...is it same as sending in a tissue sample?
On the flip-side...I'm a very fair person...if I did the DNA testing and saw I was getting my own meat then I'd ALSO shout it from the rooftops what a great packer he is.

Another thought...rather to say "I DNA TEST" and get their feathers all ruffled like I'm distrusting THEM... I'm just going to say its a service I offer my customers. That when they come to my farm and pick out a steer that I provide proof that they are getting what they chose. I DNA anyway as a means to improve my herd...so it'll only cost me the second report a few times to be sure.

Most processors have a pretty good idea when they will be cutting a carcass. If you show up and watch or juts hang around some while they're doing it you can be pretty darn sure you're getting the right stuff.

Several issues here:

• 1. Yes, to sell packaged meat one must have it processed & packaged at a USDA inspected facility.
    2. Now...the "issue" here is how does one "certify" or whatever that there was no contamination between the packaging place and one's own storage facility?
    3. As in criminology, there is the issue of "Chain of Custody" whereby every handler and movement of the evidence must be documented and properly "processed" lest a "foreign" contamination enters the chain of control.
    4. Next, I would expect that the seller's storage facility would need to also be USDA inspected. One couldn't just "keep the meat in their freezer, waiting for a sale".
    5. Finally, there is the issue of "product liability" and very probably the need for Product Liability Insurance for the packaged retail-ready item.

On a sidebar:

I suppose that hypothetically if one sold to their "friends, acquaintances, and relatives" that one might avoid the USDA thing; however, there is always the possibility that some stupid buyer would not handle the meat properly after receiving it; or, not cooking it property leading to illness...lawsuit waiting to happen?

In the final analysis, with all the downturn of the world economy, the Attorney Sharks out there, the consumer facing hard times....I think one could expect more and more product liability lawsuits (peanuts, ground beef, spinach, etc.)

I can add to what Running Arrow Bills comments were. As we have established, processing needs to be USDA. However on the retail end that is regulated by the state. In my state I have a Food storage warehouse liscence, cost $75 a year and they come out once a year and check that the freezers are at the right temp, it is a real simple permit because I do not process, prepare, or package anything. Also, the law states that the beef has to be sold by the pound in my state anyways. As far as insurance goes you should have separate product liability insurance as most people are not aware that their farm liability will not cover you selling processed products, just the raw product like live cattle or a dairy selling there milk to the milk company. My product liability costs me $1200 a year and I had to make my beef business a L.L.C. so that it was a completely separate entity from the farm otherwise my insurance company for my farm policy was going to drop me. By far most producers that sell stuff off their farm are not covered by their general policy and don't realize it. The product liability policy covers you from someone getting sick or damaged from your meat, it does not cover you from a disagreement between the seller and buyer as far as quality complaint or anything like that. The adavantage of selling meat this way is that your average price per pound is way higher then selling it on the rail.

hayray":1g39r27r said:
I can add to what Running Arrow Bills comments were. As we have established, processing needs to be USDA. However on the retail end that is regulated by the state. In my state I have a Food storage warehouse liscence, cost $75 a year and they come out once a year and check that the freezers are at the right temp, it is a real simple permit because I do not process, prepare, or package anything. Also, the law states that the beef has to be sold by the pound in my state anyways. As far as insurance goes you should have separate product liability insurance as most people are not aware that their farm liability will not cover you selling processed products, just the raw product like live cattle or a dairy selling there milk to the milk company. My product liability costs me $1200 a year and I had to make my beef business a L.L.C. so that it was a completely separate entity from the farm otherwise my insurance company for my farm policy was going to drop me. By far most producers that sell stuff off their farm are not covered by their general policy and don't realize it. The product liability policy covers you from someone getting sick or damaged from your meat, it does not cover you from a disagreement between the seller and buyer as far as quality complaint or anything like that. The adavantage of selling meat this way is that your average price per pound is way higher then selling it on the rail.
What do you get pr lb for your processed and packaged beef?

They cost and labor are also more as is the insurance you quoted and needless to say if you are dealing with the public your liability is also higher from there being more people visiting your farm

I deliver almost all of my beef, however my liability covers people who visit my farm. Yes it is more work becaue not only now are you the beef producer but now you have to do the work of a beef distributor and then it becomes easy to see why beef at the store is marked up so much more then the weight on the rail. A side of beef is priced at $4.75/lb. I have several other packages. A primal cut steak is priced at $12.75/lb. Michigan State University did a study about beef producers in Michigan that sell freezer beef and on the average the most number of beefs sold off the farm was 10 hd per year direct marketed on the rail for even the big farms. I wanted to sell alot more then 10 head per year off the farm and did alot of research and figured that selling on the rail was probably one the most limiting factors that caused most producers to bottom out at 10 head. This allows me to have alot more customers because many of them buy small amounts, I am getting over $6/lb. for a 25 lb. variety package.

[/quote]They cost and labor are also more as is the insurance you quoted and needless to say if you are dealing with the public your liability is also higher from there being more people visiting your farm[/quote]
Another note, alot of people will tell you how you need to also show off your farm by showing people how you raise your animals and all that junk - I have found that to be completely false which works out fine for me because I don't need people coming over and looking at my steers out in the mud. I have never had one person even want to pick out their animal or anything stupid like that. Also I have only had one customer even want to look at the cattle even when they are at the farm to pick up beef. I have found that customers are more satisfied just talking to the beef producer and having a trust that you are raising good quality beef.