Upi

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Took 5 steers and a small headed to the upi sale in Irvington ky. It's the last time I take any up there, the scale had 4 foot of water in it And took them 4 hours to get it pumped out and then it still didn't work had to weigh them outside and then run them in the ring. The pa system went out and then the computers. They had 1050 head of feeders to sale and 8 hours in they only had 350 sold, so mine sold around 10 that night. Another sale barn close by weighs them when you unload so that's where I'll be got g for now on. They did avg 575lbs and avg $1.30. So not bad. But they prolly lost 50 lbs by the time they sold.

Sorry for the issues you ran into. That would make a rough day for everybody. Sounds like they still sold well for you at least.

The sale barn should do something (not sure what) to compensate sellers ... it's a tough part of providing great customer service ...

I can promise the day was way worse for them as a business owner than for you as a client ... but they should do something. Heck, if they do it right, it might actually grow their business.

Halve the commissions on the next X number of pounds sold?

Free lunch for anyone who sold that day on their next visit to buy or sell?

A written apology letter hand signed by the owner?

...something.

Our cattle have to be at the saleyards the evening before the sale with just water in the yards. The weight we get paid on is after they are sold the next morning. They lose about 5% bodyweight from the curfew, no one complains, it is just how it is done, actually it is fair on everybody as it gets rid of the variable of gut fill. I guess our prices bid are adjusted for it by the bidder, as long as everyone is in the same boat.

Ken

I don't think them standing around a while really hurts that much.. however, selling at 10 PM when half the people have gone home, now THAT hurts.
I've learned at my sale barn to deliver the evening before, they do get a bit of a supper, but no breakfast, they do have access to water, but the menu isn't as good as what they're used to.. the benefit to me is that they go through the ring around 1-2PM, when everyone is there and paying attention... 20 years ago before we knew better, or knew the sale barn owners, we had some of them go through when there was hardly a buyer there, either first thing in the morning when everyone was still BSing over coffee and having breakfast, or when all the trucks were filled and everyone had gone home.

WalnutCrest":3v4yx3bl said:
The sale barn should do something (not sure what) to compensate sellers ... it's a tough part of providing great customer service ...

I can promise the day was way worse for them as a business owner than for you as a client ... but they should do something. Heck, if they do it right, it might actually grow their business.

Halve the commissions on the next X number of pounds sold?

Free lunch for anyone who sold that day on their next visit to buy or sell?

A written apology letter hand signed by the owner?

...something.

They took a break for lunch and had a company come in and work on the scales. I asked if they were buying lunch and they laughed. Kinda pi$$ed me off

Latest posts