Upgrading pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

jwimberly

Reaction score
My family and I just bought an 85 acre farm in north Georgia and have since added 15 bred heifers. I added a picture of the property with 2 fields in question (red and blue). The red is about 7 acres, in a flood plain (decently drained back into creek), and has a lot of creeping charlie (ground ivy) weeds. The blue is about 10 acres and predominantly bahia grass, also in a flood plain, and very well drained back into creek after flooding. I am wanting to minimize my winter hay bale feeding this winter by over-seeding a cool-season grass (Tall fescue, ryegrass?) but am unsure of perennial vs annual grass choices. I understand perennial comes back every year but can I over seed perennial tall fescue (novel endophyte?) into a bahia grass pasture? What would your recommendations be? I also have not done a soil sample yet.

Talk to your local university extension agent. Talk to people at your local coop. Find a mentor. There are a lot of smart ranchers here, but nothing beats having a smart rancher with boots in your field.

Latest posts