updating reg. angus data

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I only own a 3 registered angus heifers so I am at a loss here. One just had her B-day on the 1st of Feb. so I weighed her (#1078), and measured from the ground to the top of her hip (51.5"), then I went online and entered that info. It had something for feed test, is there something I need to enter there? It had no instructions as to what they were looking for. Next question...I bought one heifer, left her with the owner for a week so she could be AI'd, I saw there was no breeding info listed for her. Do I need to do that now, or wait till she calves? I also need an AI certificate for her calf, so I just get that from ABS? I know she was bred AI since I never had a bull with her. Thanks for any help or advice!

Dee":367jrajl said:
I only own a 3 registered angus heifers so I am at a loss here. One just had her B-day on the 1st of Feb. so I weighed her (#1078), and measured from the ground to the top of her hip (51.5"), then I went online and entered that info. It had something for feed test, is there something I need to enter there? It had no instructions as to what they were looking for.

I'm not really familiar with the screen you're talking about. But the feed test info is generally for bulls. I don't know of any feed tests for heifers. Skip that block and see what happens.

Next question...I bought one heifer, left her with the owner for a week so she could be AI'd, I saw there was no breeding info listed for her. Do I need to do that now, or wait till she calves?

If the heifer was registered in your name when the breeding took place, you'll just register the calf when it's born. If you bought a bred heifer, you need something from the seller saying when the breeding took place and what bull she's bred to. He should have filled out the bottom of the registration form showing he sold her bred to a certain bull on a certain day. If she was in your name at the time of breeding, just read on.

I also need an AI certificate for her calf, so I just get that from ABS? I know she was bred AI since I never had a bull with her. Thanks for any help or advice!

If you owned the heifer when she was bred, you get the AI certificate either from the owner of the bull or the semen company. Generally, if you are buying a bred heifer, the seller provides the certificate, unless you have some sort of other agreement. You will need the certificate to register the calf, so there's no need to buy it now. You don't have to offer proof that she was bred to a certain bull. Just call ABS and tell them you need an AI certificate transferred to your Angus Association account. They don't use paper certificates any more; it's all electronic.

BTW, which bull did you breed her to?