Updated: Canadian Shorthorns (info anyone?)

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi

Just a general query for Canadian breeders... I'm just doing a bit of research, after a new bull to use. We've used a few Canadian sires, a couple with particular success, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any up and coming, good, young bulls. I don't want anything clubby, just good, practical cattle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Killala":14kkzkb3 said:
Hi

Just a general query for Canadian breeders... I'm just doing a bit of research, after a new bull to use. We've used a few Canadian sires, a couple with particular success, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any up and coming, good, young bulls. I don't want anything clubby, just good, practical cattle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Saskvalley Shorthorns. They have some videos on You-tube that will knock your socks off. Powerhouse young bulls!

Thanks for the comments 3waycross.
Killala: our website is http://www.saskvalleyshorthorns.com
We have pictures on the website and the videos on you tube (see link below). They give you an idea of what the cattle look like, but more importantly I invite you to read in our website how we manage our cattle and what we are trying to achieve. Also read on page 3 of our sale catalogue regarding the feeding of our bulls.
http://www.youtube.com/Saskvalleyshorthorns
Here also is the website for the Saskatchewan Shorthorn Association. http://saskshorthorns.com/index.html
If you go to the 'links' page of this website you can visit numerous other shorthorn breeders websites as well.
Hope this is helpful.

I'll second 3way's comments. I've used a couple Saskvalley bulls, and my uncle before me used Saskvalley bulls, and we've got nothing but good things to say about them. I'm not a bull breeder, but I do breed my own replacements, and 3/4's of the cows I have around here have some Saskvalley in them somewhere. Well heeled, good bodied, good growth and easy keeping.

Rod

Thanks for the info so far.
You have some nice young bulls there tgib, free moving and fleshy.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. In particular I am after a roan bull if anyone can think of anything??
I'll keep looking myself!

Perhaps if I give a bit more info on what I'm looking for it may help....

The bull must have very good hooves (no trimming), preferably roan but could be red however must not have any rust though his coat, polled (homozygous). Other important attributes are a tight sheath, doing ability, good temperament, calving ease and birthweight.

We have used a few Canadian bulls with success, one in particular has done very well, the other two have left very good progeny however there is a tendency to throw an occasional horned calf.

If you are looking for semen from Canadian genetics that is available right now in Australia then your choices are limited. Here is a link to the only one that I can think of. http://www.horseshoecreekfarms.com/Sask ... ioneer.htm
If you are interested in purchasing the Australian Semen rights on a Canadian bull, then the links that I gave you earlier should be a good start. We still are using Pioneer's sire, Saskvalley Navajo 153M. He will be 6 years old in a couple of months. Each year we put him out with about 40 cows for 60 days and he never losses condition. Since he was 2 years old he has had grass to eat in the summer and beef quality hay in the winter, no grain at all. He stays fat all year round. We have never trimmed his feet. If you want some more information you are welcome to PM me.

Thanks for your reply tgib.

I'm aware of the Pioneer semen available in Australia. We are really looking for a new bull to introduce. Perhaps I'm asking a bit much of everyone!! Just trying to get some leads (we do plan on viewing the bulls in the flesh.)

i remember seeing two shorthorn bulls in an A'I catalogue years ago-mandalong super Flag and mandalong Super elephant-what were they like I thought they looked like pretty good bulls for their time.

Super Flags been used quite a bit in the past. Its been many moons since I've seen a picture, but from what I remember he was truly a beef bull. IIRC, Saskvalley has a bunch of Super Flag in their breeding program. Manitoba Sunrise was a Super Flag son (grandson maybe?) and my families had alot of success with bulls with Sunrise in their background.

Super Elephant was along the same lines, although he doesn't seem to show up quite as often in the breed books that I've seen. Don't think we've ever used a bull with him in it.

Rod

Latest posts