Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here's an updated picture or two of the bull we traded for, CS Traveler 178/8. D.O.B. 3/2/2008

Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52528&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=178%2F8

He's been doing extremely well on the show circuit for us, and he is now out to pasture breeding some young females, and being used as cleanup on a couple cows.

Not the greatest pictures, but he's got more important things on his mind, besides posing for my picture takings. Needless to say, he enjoys being with his ladies a whole lot more than being messed with for show purposes. He is a hoot to watch out there, herding the females around. The best is in the mornings when I go out to feed them. He doesn't let the ladies come up til he is good and ready, which is usually about 5 - 10 minutes after I put the feed out. Its really funny to watch.

CS_Traveler_178_8_-_002.jpg

CS_Traveler_178_8_-_001.jpg

Well? Thoughts?

Ryan

Do longhorns always look grumpy? He does and the heifer in your other post especially do. :lol:

He sure has "matured" in 5 months. Still looks good, but I sure liked him better in previous pics. Now, he's more slim in his working condition. Still very impressive. Of course, his color pattern is to die for! His horns don't appear to have grown much. You aren't as concerned about horns as you are muscling & quality of animal, are you?

FarmGirl10":aef76wae said:
Do longhorns always look grumpy? He does and the heifer in your other post especially do. :lol:

lol. I'm not sure if all longhorns look grumpy, but I know why this guy might look grumpy. His 6 ladies he's in with are right behind me, and I'm keeping him separated off to get the picture.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":aef76wae said:
He sure has "matured" in 5 months. Still looks good, but I sure liked him better in previous pics. Now, he's more slim in his working condition. Still very impressive. Of course, his color pattern is to die for! His horns don't appear to have grown much. You aren't as concerned about horns as you are muscling & quality of animal, are you?

He's really "worked his butt off" (literally) since we put him out. He was just in the pen with a couple other bulls eating about all he wanted. He was never fat by any means, and now he's a hard working guy. He went from a finisher grain, free choice real good coastal and some alfalfa, to a grower/developer grain and less of it, and some fair quality coastal. That's why he's slimmed a bit. Plus he's been growing UP quite a bit lately.

His horns are actually pretty good in comparison to all the other bulls in his class. I would say just above the average of the whole class in lenth, and for sure one of the biggest bases in the class. But you are correct, we aren't as concerned with horn as we are with muscling and quality.

Ryan

Ryan":2dqi34r1 said:
He's really "worked his butt off" (literally) since we put him out. He was just in the pen with a couple other bulls eating about all he wanted. He was never fat by any means, and now he's a hard working guy. He went from a finisher grain, free choice real good coastal and some alfalfa, to a grower/developer grain and less of it, and some fair quality coastal. That's why he's slimmed a bit. Plus he's been growing UP quite a bit lately

Yes, that is always the way. People post a pic of a bull after he has been on a forage diet for six months and breeding cows for 80 days then we tell him "he needs more butt" and we don't like his tap. Then we go ga ga over some 16 month old grain fattened boy bull who hasn't seen a cow since he left his mama's teat and talk about thick he is and how level topped he is when the whole bull is filled in with 280 pounds of lard. I am as guilty of it as anyone here; but for the life of me I have a hard time visualizing what the range bull would look like IN condition or that virgin feed bunk camper would look like underneath all the groceries.