Update

Help Support CattleToday:

I have talked to the latamers(sp) in person before, nice people. I don't think they would have done anything like what is being tossed around. I do think that sometimes the feeding that takes place to get these bulls to the size needed to win shows takes years off in a hurry.

Alan":3kr15knt said:
VanC":3kr15knt said:
There are plenty of folks out there who would love nothing better than to bring a large, successful breeder down a notch or two. If there was something shady going on I'd imagine it would be out in the open by now.

I'll bite, why would it be out in the open by now? I'm certainly not trying to knock anyone down. I'm just looking at the big picture and trying to decided for myself.

Alan

Alan- I wasn't trying to imply that you were trying to knock anyone down. I wasn't responding to any particular posts, just making a general observation.

Here's my reasoning: My wife shows dogs. Unfortunately, it's more about politics than the quality of the animals. The people that have the money to hire handlers, advertise, and show their dogs constantly have the best chance at winning. I've seen all too often a judge who is more interested in who owns the dog and who's showing the dog instead of paying attention to the dog itself. This puts the smaller breeders at a huge disadvantage which in turn creates jealousy, back-biting, etc. Not from everyone, mind you, but enough to be noticeable.

Anyway, right or wrong, I guess I'm projecting this type of thing on to cattle breeders. The people on top are always going to have certain people looking for a reason to bring them down. Whether something shady is going on or not, certain people are going to be looking. It's human nature. Not saying this type of thing is widespread, but I believe it's out there.

For what it's worth, this is only my opinion and I could be way off base. But that's the way I see it.

Politics are in any type of breed, rather it be beef cattle, dogs, whatever. Just like with hereford cattle when Denver and Ft. Worth come rolling around, Star Lake Cattle Ranch for some reason always wins big and really, I haven't liked anything of theres since they had Online, but even then they didn't raise that bull. STAR Palliadin, STAR Bright Future, and those others bulls that Star Lake showed this past Denver, weren't that impressive in my book, but they all got a nice dark purple or light purple banner above there stalls. I can't understand why a judge just can't go into the showring, judge the cattle that are being shown by how thick they are, and not about how much hair or how pretty of a side view they have, those creatures should also have to go out and produce functional cattle. I am for one, very pleased with going to Denver to see the carload and pen show, rather than the bull, heifer, or whatever show.

THG

THG":1x7z1cta said:
STAR Bright Future, and those others bulls that Star Lake showed this past Denver, weren't that impressive in my book THG

After seeing Bright Future in Fort Worth, all I can say is that it must take a LOT to impress you!

Bright Future was the MOST impressive-looking bull that I've seen in person in several years...probably only topped by his sire when he won Denver for the second time.

I probably won't use him for my program, but I can see why others would!

George

Herefords.US":2vzucufn said:
THG":2vzucufn said:
STAR Bright Future, and those others bulls that Star Lake showed this past Denver, weren't that impressive in my book THG

After seeing Bright Future in Fort Worth, all I can say is that it must take a LOT to impress you!

Bright Future was the MOST impressive-looking bull that I've seen in person in several years...probably only topped by his sire when he won Denver for the second time.

I probably won't use him for my program, but I can see why others would!

George
Really, I mean I am not at all interested in horn genetics being in my cowherd, but from a side view, Bright Future doesn't look that bad, but it is something about his structure and I didn't think he had much top in him, but I will have to see what his progeny look like at Star Lake. Maybe I am over looking this bull, but I still won't use him, because of the horn influence.

THG

You guys must not have dealt with an insurance company lately. If you purchased a semen interest on the bull and he died, I doubt there would even be a payout on that because the fact that there is s till semen available.

Insurance companies just seem to insure to not payout if at all possible.

One of their loopholes is testicle degeneration, you can't insure genetics and you would have a hard time proving that is was a injury.

SEC":r6g785dg said:
You guys must not have dealt with an insurance company lately. If you purchased a semen interest on the bull and he died, I doubt there would even be a payout on that because the fact that there is s till semen available.

Insurance companies just seem to insure to not payout if at all possible.

One of their loopholes is testicle degeneration, you can't insure genetics and you would have a hard time proving that is was a injury.
SEC, yes insurance companies are always involved when you have bulls that are sold for $195,000, for only 1/3 interest. I am very sure that Remitall has a great Insurance company that they are dealing with when big time bulls pass on. I know that I have a great insurance company that I deal with and I am very pleased when things happen without warning and they pay a very nice premium back to me.

THG

The company name would be greatly appreciated as most aren't in t he business to help anyone other than themselves.

SEC":218bh4iv said:
The company name would be greatly appreciated as most aren't in t he business to help anyone other than themselves.

We have American National Property and Casualty for all our insurance except the vehicles. Excellent company to do business with.

dun":27csi47i said:
We have American National Property and Casualty for all our insurance except the vehicles. Excellent company to do business with.

That's funny, the only folks that will insure me are American National Poverty and Calamity.

cfpinz

cfpinz":39bweaeu said:
dun":39bweaeu said:

That's funny, the only folks that will insure me are American National Poverty and Calamity.

cfpinz

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sedrick_hall":1v5wb3my said:
Alan":1v5wb3my said:
Yea seems real strange when another top bull dies at a young age and his semen price sky rockets. Hard to believe, I wonder if they also have a big insurance policy on these bulls.... humm :roll: .

Alan

If I owned a top bull I would definitely have an insurace policy on him.

What makes you think these owners didn't..... ;-)

Brandonm2":6xsjofrb said:
1848":6xsjofrb said:
THG":6xsjofrb said:
suscofa":6xsjofrb said:
You guys may be right but this kind of talk is borderline slanderous. I would be careful.
I agree!

THG

Patriot sucks! :D

Whoa NOW, THAT could be ruled as being "borderline slanderous".
Looks like some breeders don't care for Patriot. Please 1848, explain why you don't like him, and your answer can't be because he is Remitall, what else don't you like about him?

THG

THG":26afigmt said:
Brandonm2":26afigmt said:
1848":26afigmt said:
THG":26afigmt said:
suscofa":26afigmt said:
You guys may be right but this kind of talk is borderline slanderous. I would be careful.
I agree!

THG

Patriot sucks! :D

Whoa NOW, THAT could be ruled as being "borderline slanderous".
Looks like some breeders don't care for Patriot. Please 1848, explain why you don't like him, and your answer can't be because he is Remitall, what else don't you like about him?

THG

Ok we all know your head is crossthreaded when it come's to this line. Give it a rest.

Latest posts