UPDATE ON PASTORA AND SAND BURS

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
earlier in the Summer i wrote a reply to an inquiry about sand bur control and said i had used the herbicide Pastora by Dupont and had eradicated most of the sand burs in my pasture. unfortunatly the latent seed heads from the previous year sprouted a second sand bur crop. next year i'm going to spray early and do a second follow up about six to seven weeks later. in spite of the second crop the total sand bur growth is only @ 30% of the previous year, which makes me a believer in Pastora for sand bur control.

Jogeephus":3vu2sotv said:
What did it cost per acre?
the Pastora comes in a 20 oz container, enough to do 20 acres one time. cost is $300. pretty costly, but i was desparate for something that worked..

Do you know what else it will kill besides burrs, if anything? I planted some WW-B Dahl. The seed never germinated in one area that is thick with the burrs.
I have planted Tifton 85 in places where the burrs were thick. With a good fertilizer program the Tifton chocked most of it out. I don't think you can get ride of the burrs entirely as the seed bank will last for many years.

tsmaxx47":15mk53nw said:
Jogeephus":15mk53nw said:
What did it cost per acre?
the Pastora comes in a 20 oz container, enough to do 20 acres one time. cost is $300. pretty costly, but i was desparate for something that worked..

That's really not that bad. Seems most chemicals are priced from the $15-20/acre range. I suspect it would help everyone's feelings some if they put it in a bigger jug if you know what I mean. :lol2:

the piece of paper that came with the Pastora container only specifies effectiveness against sand burrs. didn't say anything about johnson grass. it probably comes in larger containers, the 20 oz suits my situation. another thing i didn't mention is that i mix it with 24D and spray everything at once. i can't tell you texans if it works on goat heads or not !!!!

Latest posts