Update on Brahmans

Help Support CattleToday:

brahma_show_girl

Reaction score
Okay so heres an update on my calves.
This is the pervious topic I posted about my show bull awhile ago.
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=37388
Here is what he looks like now. Tell me what you think.
100_3948.jpg

This is the other topic I posted on what heifer to pick.
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=37343
I picked #2 She is the white one #3 is standing behind her. I am very happy with me choice. Tell me what you think.
100_3942.jpg

Here are my other two show calves. Tell me what you think

Titan 9-06
100_3950.jpg

Rosie 3-07
100_3944.jpg

So heres my update!

I don't think I've ever been able to successfully judge Brahman(influenced) cattle. They look like they're growing well though. Hopefully someone else with a real eye for cattle could give you some comments.

I'm no judge on cattle, but your Brahmans look really good. They are thick and not leggy as some will be. I actually like heifer#3 standing in the back ground. I too raise Brahmans Red ones. Will you use the bull as a herd sire later on. What are some of the breedings on the ones you are showing?

The little heifer, #2, and Rosie all have the same Sire TTT Mr Suva Maritn 272. The number three heifer has the same sire.

The first bull is out of SB Lady Manso 132 and JDH Martin Manso
Titan is out of BD Lady Moster and WR Mr Sid 305.

You can look up the sires and dam on http://www.brahman.org.

My heifers have only been to 1 show. They went to The HOT Fair. #2 (Diamond) got 8 out of 15 and Rosie got 7 out of 14. I didn't get to make any majors this year. I have had some family issues going on.The bulls have been to 2 or 3 and they were in the classes with older calves because I started them at such a young age. But THe first bull, King, did get 5th in Bred and Owned and I think 8th in his normal class. I have a show coming up at the end of this month that I am taking my heifers to and I have a show in June that all 4 are going to and I will definately post how I did.

The bull has very good bone and muscling, but he needs more length of spine. The heifers are decent.. the first one is flanky and needs more muscling. The second one doesn't look like she's been dehorned..?

It's very hard to show Brahmans successfully in Texas.. as you know I'm sure there are two very prominent breeders that pretty well sweep the shows here. I showed Brahmans for years before I got into Simmentals and Simbrahs, and it's tough. So having said that, feed them up and have fun showing!

I know exactly who your talking about and it is very tough. Thanks for the input. Neither of the 2 heifers have been dehorned. I have yet to find a good dehorner. The one we used moved to Kansas and the one used for Titan didn't do a very good job. We have alos been very busy. I have a show coming up and in about 20 days and when we get back we are taking them to get dehorned. So what did you think of the little heifer?

Maineshowgirl":1jhhj2bg said:
Yup V8 most of the time talks
Many have developed the attitude. Why bother showing? I heard the other day Hudgins will take most in Houston as Williams is one of the judges. Brahmans have turned into a big money game and left many of the youth out of the program, unless of course you buy your cattle from them and then you do not get to retain total ownership.
It has gotten to the point where I would like to see no brand on the cattle that enter the show ring.
I have heard some of the same comments from some of the shorthorn people.

It is very diffcult but I don't show to win. I show for the fun of it and to get our cattle out there for people to see. My family and I have talked about there being no brand on cattle before but thats not gonna happen. I went to one show that was just ridiculous. The judge placed by the person not the heifer of bull. If this one guy was in the show ring he would place in the top 3 everytime. I strongly disagreed with alot of his choices because some really good cattle (not mine) got jipped out of there title. Even some of the divisions of the big ranches were griping because they couldn't figure out what the judge was doing. But no matter where you go there is always polotics even with cattle.

It is very diffcult but I don't show to win. I show for the fun of it

well said :clap:

I've always thought how can it be any fun if you always win? I know it makes it so much funner for me when I do when, because it doesn't happen that often, lol :lol:

Good on you for showing for fun. You have two handy heifers and the bulls no slouch either. I have been showing Brahmans since 1975 and South Devons since 1989. Had my wins but a few losses too.Principly breed red Brahmans but moving back into a few greys. Some greys are a bit cheaper than reds here in Australia these days.
Keep up your showing.
Colin

I have always wanted to show a red because red brahman shows in Texas aren't as political. My Aunt says that it would be to difficult to keep them seperate. Thanks I am very proud of my 2 heifers ecspecially Rosie. I love my 2 bulls even though they are a handful. So do any of yall think the little 3 month old heifer will turn out any good?

I just got back from my county show. Rosie got 1st in her class and Diamond got second. Since there aren't many brahmans in my county there were 3 in Rosies class and only 2 in Diamonds. But I was very happy with the 1st place and the way that both of them acted.

I also had a Meat Goat and I got 6th out of 17 in the toughest weight class. I also made the sale!

Latest posts