Update...August'08 Twins...PICS

Help Support CattleToday:

kdhansen

Reaction score
I got a lot of help from people on these boards when these twins were born...just weaned them last weekend. Here's a pic about a month ago, before weaning, and a couple pics right after weaning. Weights were 650# and 595#...which were right with the other 4 calves in this bunch. The dam did a fantastic job raising these two. Kept her on about 6# cattle fattener/day, calves weren't on any grain creep, but were eating LOTS of grass/alfalfa hay by weaning. Dam held up pretty well considering, she also was the first one to breed back...she will be sticking around for awhile. Thanks again for all the help!!!

A good "twin" story. Congrats!
I STILL HATE TWINS!
In the real world, it would be VERY difficult to suppliment the dam. In our case, I can sneak some grain to the dam for a little time, while she/herd is up close in the winter c/c lots. But, once they get to start grazing, she's on her own.
Too often they (twins) cause way too much trouble to offset the "good" outcomes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3hhqc6ek said:
A good "twin" story. Congrats!
I STILL HATE TWINS!
In the real world, it would be VERY difficult to suppliment the dam. In our case, I can sneak some grain to the dam for a little time, while she/herd is up close in the winter c/c lots. But, once they get to start grazing, she's on her own.
Too often they (twins) cause way too much trouble to offset the "good" outcomes.

I agree. I'm hoping this will be my first and LAST set. The cow had an enormous amount of milk and it was suggested by some on these boards to supplement her so she wouldn't lose too much body condition...I'm glad I followed their advice. She's a little rough looking, but healthy. It wasn't much in the amount grain, but that little bit of extra concentrated calories seemed to keep her from losing too much. I think if we would have had a better quality hay for the winter I probably wouldn't have had to supplement. At least I didn't have to bottle/creep feed.

I am really proud of this cow...she earned quite a few gold stars. I wouldn't say she's got the "quietest" disposition, but she let me do what I had to do with the twins until she figured she didn't need my help anymore, then she let me know I was done. Never once I had to worry about her not taking both of them...they were hers and she made sure everyone knew it.
greatgerts":9mm556jm said:
Its always great to see those that can raise twins like that. You should be proud of that cow.

Thanks...I am so pleased with her...put in my request to her for ONE heifer calf this year...
CKC1586":1jme4wmw said:
That's great! Congratulations and good job by that momma!

she earned her place in the herd.as well as your respect raising that fine set of twin bulls.

Latest posts