up,up and away!

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
This is a real interesting clip.

BEND, Ore. (AP) - Last weekend, Kent Couch settled down in his lawn chair with some snacks - and a parachute. Attached to his lawn chair were 105 large helium balloons.

Destination: Idaho.

With instruments to measure his altitude and speed, a global positioning system device in his pocket, and about four plastic bags holding five gallons of water each to act as ballast - he could turn a spigot, release water and rise - Couch headed into the Oregon sky.

Nearly nine hours later, the 47-year-old gas station owner came back to earth in a farmer's field near Union, short of Idaho but about 193 miles from home.

"When you're a little kid and you're holding a helium balloon, it has to cross your mind," Couch told the Bend Bulletin.

"When you're laying in the grass on a summer day, and you see the clouds, you wish you could jump on them," he said. "This is as close as you can come to jumping on them. It's just like that."

Couch is the latest American to emulate Larry Walters - who in 1982 rose three miles above Los Angeles in a lawn chair lifted by balloons. Walters had surprised an airline pilot, who radioed the control tower that he had just passed a guy in a lawn chair. Walters paid a $1,500 penalty for violating air traffic rules.

It was Couch's second flight.

In September, he got off the ground for six hours. Like Walters, he used a BB gun to pop the balloons, but he went into a rapid descent and eventually parachuted to safety.

This time, he was better prepared. The balloons had a new configuration, so it was easier to reach up and release a bit of helium instead of simply cutting off a balloon.

He took off at 6:06 a.m. Saturday after kissing his wife, Susan, goodbye and petting his Chihuahua, Isabella. As he made about 25 miles an hour, a three-car caravan filled with friends, family and the dog followed him from below.

Couch said he could hear cattle and children, and he said he even passed through clouds.

"It was beautiful - beautiful," he told KTVZ-TV. He described the flight as mostly peaceful and serene, with occasional turbulence, like a hot-air balloon ride sitting down.

Couch decided to stop when he was down to a gallon of water and just eight pounds of ballast. Concerned about the rugged terrain outside La Grande, including Hells Canyon, he decided it was time to land.

He popped enough balloons to set the craft down, although he suffered rope burns. But after he jumped out, the wind grabbed his chair, with his video recorder, and the remaining balloons and swept them away. He's hoping to get them back some day.

Brandon Wilcox, owner of Professional Air, which charters and maintains planes at the Bend airport, on Thursday confirmed Couch's flight. Wilcox said he flew a plane nearby while Couch traveled, and a passenger videotaped the flying lawn chair.

Whether Couch will take a third trip is up to his wife, and Susan Couch said she's thinking about saying no. But she said she was willing to go along with last weekend's trip.

"I know he'd be thinking about it more and more, it would always be on his mind," she said. "This way, at least he's fulfilled his dream."

Wow, I would love to do that! All my life I have had these flying dreams where I winged across the landscape just above treetops and I think this would be nearly the same. Take some nerve though.

cowboyup216":2dnfe4wt said:
I think mythbusters dispelled all this crap as a myth already. They took like 2000 balloons and still couldnt lift a little 3-4 year old girl off the ground let alone a lawn chair. Dont believe everything you hear.

Larry Walters
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Lawrence Richard Walters, nicknamed Lawnchair Larry or the Lawn Chair Pilot, (April 19, 1949 – October 6, 1993) was an American adventurer. He took flight on July 2, 1982 in a homemade aircraft, dubbed Inspiration I, that he had fashioned out of a Sears patio chair and 45 helium-filled weather balloons. He rose to an altitude of 16,000 feet (3 miles) and floated from his point of origin in San Pedro, California into federal airspace near Long Beach airport. The account of his flight was widely reported in newspapers. The feat is noted as an urban legend, albeit one based on actual events.

Contents [hide]
1 Preparation and launch
2 Arrest and notoriety
3 Origin of his plan
4 Life after the flight
5 Myths dispelled
6 Quotes
7 Pop culture references
8 Copycats
9 See also
10 External links
11 References

[edit] Preparation and launch
Walters and his girlfriend, Carol Van Deusen, purchased 45 four-foot weather balloons and helium tanks at California Toy Time Balloons. To avoid suspicion, they used a forged requisition from his employer, FilmFair Studios, saying the balloons were for a television commercial shoot. Walters then attached the balloons to his lawnchair, filled them with helium, donned a parachute, and strapped himself to the chair with a pellet gun (with which he intended to shoot the balloons to lower himself), a CB radio, sandwiches, soft drinks, and a camera. After that, things did not work out as he had planned. When his friends cut the cord that had tied his lawnchair to his jeep, Walters' lawnchair, which was planned to rise 100 feet above the ground, quickly rose to a height of about 16,000 feet (3 miles); he did not dare shoot any balloons, fearing that he might unbalance the load. He drifted over Long Beach and crossed the primary approach corridor of Long Beach airport.

After spending about 45 minutes in the sky, though, he came to the conclusion that he would have to shoot a few balloons after all; doing so caused him to descend slowly again, until the balloon's dangling cables got caught in a power line, causing a black out in a Long Beach neighborhood for 20 minutes, but also allowing Walters to climb down to the ground again.

[edit] Arrest and notoriety
He was immediately arrested by waiting members of the LAPD; when asked by a reporter why he had done it, Walters replied "a man can't just sit around." He was later fined US$4,000 by the Federal Aviation Administration for violations of the Federal Aviation Act, including operating a "civil aircraft for which there is not currently in effect an airworthiness certificate" and operating an aircraft within an airport traffic area "without establishing and maintaining two-way communications with the control tower." Walters appealed, and the fine was reduced to US$1,500.[1]

Walters also received the top prize from the Bonehead Club of Dallas for his adventure, as well as invitations to The Tonight Show and Late Night with David Letterman and an honorable mention in 1982's Darwin Awards. His lawn-chair balloon was also featured in an episode of Mythbusters.

[edit] Origin of his plan
The story goes that Walters had always dreamed of flying but was unable to become a pilot in the United States Air Force due to bad eyesight. He first came up with the idea of using weather balloons to fly at age 13, when seeing them hanging from the ceiling of an Army Navy surplus store. His original plan was to attach a couple of helium-filled weather balloons to his lawnchair, then cut the anchor and float above his backyard at a height of about 30 feet for a few hours, finally using a pellet gun to pop the balloons one after another to float gently to the ground again.

[edit] Life after the flight
The lawnchair used in his flight was given to an admiring boy named Jerry, although Walters later admitted he regretted doing so. The Smithsonian Institution asked him to donate it to its museum. Twenty years later, the boy, by that time an adult, sent an e-mail to Mark Barry, a pilot who had documented Walters's story and dedicated a Web site to it, and identified himself as the boy who was given the chair. It had been sitting in his garage the whole time, still attached to some of the original tethers and water jugs used as ballast.

Walters was in brief demand as a motivational speaker after his flight and quit his job as a truck driver, but never was able to make much money from his fame. Later on in his life, Walters hiked the San Gabriel Mountains and did volunteer work for the United States Forest Service before committing suicide by shooting himself in the heart in Angeles National Forest on October 6, 1993.[1]

[edit] Myths dispelled
Many exaggerated or simply inaccurate stories have circulated around the Web regarding Walters' flight. The following facts have been confirmed from interviews with his friends and family, and by analysing a recording of his CB radio transmissions.

Larry was launched from his girlfriend's backyard in San Pedro, California with the assistance of another friend, Ron Richlin.
Larry dropped his glasses during lift-off, but had a spare pair with him, and radioed his "ground crew," saying, "I can see perfectly — don't worry." (Later in the flight, when his girlfriend reported she had found his glasses, he replied "Well, that's good news.")
Larry did not pass near LAX, but rather Long Beach airport, where TWA and Delta Airlines pilots sighted him and reported him to the tower.
Larry came down in a residential area north-east of Long Beach airport.
Larry did not drop his BB gun during lift-off. However, later in the flight, after using it to pop balloons to begin a descent, he did drop the gun.
Larry did float over Long Beach harbor but did not float out to sea.
Larry did not, as some newspapers reported, purchase the balloons from a military surplus store, but from a balloon supplier.
Larry was not rescued by a helicopter, but rather came down on his own intent while possibly trying to land in an open field.
Larry's chair was a piece of patio furniture, not a folding lawn chair.
Larry gave the patio furniture away to a neighborhood kid, later regretting this generosity when the Smithsonian asked to place the chair in its archives. Today that same person still has the chair (with ballast water jugs and tethers still attached), and has said he intends to donate it to Larry's mother.
Larry paid $1,500 after battling the FAA. Of 4 total charges, some were dropped (it was decided that his lawn chair did not need an airworthiness certificate) and Larry admitted to one other (not establishing and maintaining two-way contact with the airport control tower). According to the FAA, "The flight was potentially unsafe, but Walters had not intended to endanger anyone".

cowboyup216":fflosl9u said:
I think mythbusters dispelled all this crap as a myth already. They took like 2000 balloons and still couldnt lift a little 3-4 year old girl off the ground let alone a lawn chair. Dont believe everything you hear.

This is a true story, it was off a reputable news website, and you can google it, and the guys name and the story is legitimate.

GMN

GMN":1lm4u1he said:
cowboyup216":1lm4u1he said:

This is a true story, it was off a reputable news website, and you can google it, and the guys name and the story is legitimate.

GMN

There were a bunch of links on the story. This is just one of them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19694083/

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4956038.html

If this guy went from Bend to Union it is a good thing he called it quits there. The part of Idaho he was headed towards is a little tough to land in. Landing in Hell's Canyon or the River of No Return wilderness might not have had a happy ending. Even the parts of that country that does have people, is all built standing on edge.

Eight miles high
and when you touch down
You'll find that
It's stranger than known.

--The Byrds (circa 1967)

I remember this story. It really happened. I've always wondered what the first pilot to spot him thought, i.e. if I report that I just saw a guy in a lawn chair at 16000 ft they are for sure gonna drug test me and I'll probably have to have a psychiatric exam too.
OR
"If you look out the left side of the aircraft you'll see a guy in a lawn chair. He's probably more comfortable than you folks in coach."

Latest posts