Up and Coming Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Last week I posted some photos of our coming two year old bulls. Today I got away from the office a bit early and planned to come home and mow grass. When I got to the house the boss was already on the lawn mower so I took the opportunity to go out and get a few photos of the younger bull calves. This group of calves were weaned back in early June. They are not being fed right now, not because we don't want to feed them but because the feed pen is so wet we can't get the feed truck into the pen. The boss is trying to work on the pen but its so dang wet he can't get much done to get it fixed. Looking through the calves I see a few that will never make the next cut. We tend to cull through them several times during the development stage I call it cash flow since they get sent to the sale barn. :D

This first photo is C37 Reg# 18472524 a calf that we plan to use on heifers this breeding season. Not a great photo but I think he is pretty sporty.

A head shot of the calf I think he already looks like a bull.

This is our granddaughters calf C71 Reg# 18473726 she named it Bella's Boy when I asked her why she looked at me rolled her eyes and explained Bella is the mamma and its a boy. You have to love discussions with a four year old. We hope this calf continues to develop where we can sell him for her college fund.

This is C30 Reg# 18490329 an ET calf out of our SAV Blackcap May 0524 donor and our Coleman EXT 6149 bull. We have one of his flush brothers at the Southern Excellence bull development in Wadley Alabama he will hopefully sell on November 19th and the other was delivered yesterday to the Florida Bull Test so he hopefully he will sell in January. I say hopefully because as we all know a lot can happen with a bull between now and November and January.

C22 Reg# 18473952 a Coleman Charlo calf out of a really nice Boyd New Day cow.

gizmom

C37 does have a masculine head, gotta love it when the head matches the reproductive organs.

How do you normally feed them at this age? They seem to be developing nicely on forage.

For years we used a 50/50 mix of Soy hull pellets and Corn gluten pellets. We switched up our feed this past year and are now feeding (if we could get into the dang pen) a feed from Alabama Farmers Cooperative the young cattle would be fed the CPC grower 13% the analysis on the feed is:

http://www.alafarm.com/webdocs/docview.aspx?wdid=305&locid=14

As they grow we plan to switch over to the Developer.

http://www.alafarm.com/webdocs/DocView.aspx?wdID=126&locID=14

Like I said we just made the change last fall but so far we like the feed and the cattle are sure doing good on it.

They are growing really well just with the Millet but since we market our bulls as two year olds we like to get as much growth on them as possible to have them ready to go out on cows. We want them growing not getting over fat so we monitor the amount of feed based on the weight of the group of calves. When feeding they are getting about 5 to 7 pounds per head per day. The young group was on feed until we got them moved over here from the farm then were fed for about two weeks after they got here. We haven't been able to get in the feed pen now for about a month so they haven't been off the feed long. We are blessed that we have the Millet for them, it will put growth on them as good as feed at least I hope it will.

gizmom

gizmom

Very nice! Real deep bodies on them already. That 13% grower feed you are using (or planning to use) looks to be quite similar to what we feed to our bulls (a couple %'s off on some stuff but close). It lets them grow without pushing them too hard.