unthrifty corriente heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I purchases some year old corriente heifers from a local breeder. All were current on worming and vaccinations. However, all were generally unthrifty although they had good appetites. One heifer got pretty thin and then I found her down about a week ago. Flat out on her side. She wouldn't get up, so I moved her into a stall using the tractor. Since then I have got her to eat and drink and she is laying with her legs under her, but I can't get her up. I have slung her daily, but she won't stand. Any ideas what could be wrong or what I should do. Thanks.

[email protected]

I think it is a good sigh that she is getting her legs under her and eating. This is the time to put the best feed in front of her. Sounds like maybe the other cows have pushed her away from the feed. I was thinking maybe white mussel, but that is usually found in young calves, it couldn't hurt to give her a shot of Mu-se if you are in a low salenium area. B vitamin will help out her appetite. Also some Electrolytes in her water. Did she have a low temp when you found her? Maybe she ate something that poisomed her. Some Probios couldn't hurt. You might consider worming her again when she recoups some. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask your Vet for some advise. Maybe you can weigh some of this and come up wih something that will help. Good luck!

Rachel

> I purchases some year old
> corriente heifers from a local
> breeder. All were current on
> worming and vaccinations. However,
> all were generally unthrifty
> although they had good appetites.
> One heifer got pretty thin and
> then I found her down about a week
> ago. Flat out on her side. She
> wouldn't get up, so I moved her
> into a stall using the tractor.