unrolling hay tip number 99

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
last year I posted the setup I used with my old JD and FEL with a single wheel on prong frame. this yr on the cold days I use the cab tractor. I have not put a fel on it yet so I use it to feed some . last weekend I cut down an old 4lug boat axle and welded it back at 24" OC built a bracket to bolt to the NH and put golf cart tires on it , It works very well and only leaves a small core till it rolls over the top of it . now I don't have the worry of impaling a cow while unrolling hay

pdfangus":oqbilil8 said:
i CAN NOT SAY THAT I fully followed the function of this set up...do you just push the bale with this thing or what?

yes just drop the bale off the forks on back circle around and push it and unroll as much as you want the tires straddle the windrow

thanks,

glad to see that in my doterage I was still able to figure it out.....had not seen anything like it before....
everyone around here uses bale feeders and when I mention unrolling.......
first I get blank stares.......
followed by the comment......
"that means I would have to feed them every day."

pdfangus":1jmoz0yx said:
thanks,

glad to see that in my doterage I was still able to figure it out.....had not seen anything like it before....
everyone around here uses bale feeders and when I mention unrolling.......
first I get blank stares.......
followed by the comment......
"that means I would have to feed them every day."

yes it takes a lot of time but "Waste is Money"

Yep, the 3 cold days a year in FL are brutal.
Meanwhile we still see post about open station tractors feeding in Canada.
I'm sorry but wtf is a tractor without glass even doing in Canada? I'm 970 miles SOUTH of Canada and I wouldn't think of feeding on a open tractor all winter. Did it years ago and know why it isn't a option.

I second that! Fed hay two winters with an open tractor, did have a canopy. By the time I got to a leased farm I had 4 miles from the house I was frozen in a ball! Now I use a truck with a spear on it and unroller on the front. I would sell out before I went back to that :lol:

midTN_Brangusman":2z6bqvkm said:
I second that! Fed hay two winters with an open tractor, did have a canopy. By the time I got to a leased farm I had 4 miles from the house I was frozen in a ball! Now I use a truck with a spear on it and unroller on the front. I would sell out before I went back to that :lol:
jedstivers":2z6bqvkm said:
I'm sorry but wtf is a tractor without glass even doing in Canada? I'm 970 miles SOUTH of Canada and I wouldn't think of feeding on a open tractor all winter. Did it years ago and know why it isn't a option.

Might be able to afford a cab tractor before I die. Can't make money on $400 calves if your not willing to suffer a bit.

M-5":2yfrxv95 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2yfrxv95 said:
Cold days, HA! Good one.

yep, COLD DAYS , you Yankees don't know cold till its 30deg misting rain and 40mph wind

You just described the normal weather here from the first of November through the end of March. I still have an open station tractor. It is called dress for the weather. I would be much more concerned about having air conditioning in the summer in your climate.

Aaron":ggtj7bh6 said:
midTN_Brangusman":ggtj7bh6 said:
jedstivers":ggtj7bh6 said:

Might be able to afford a cab tractor before I die. Can't make money on $400 calves if your not willing to suffer a bit.

That's exactly why I went to an old pickup and not a cab tractor.

Dave":suepl60w said:
M-5":suepl60w said:
TennesseeTuxedo":suepl60w said:
Cold days, HA! Good one.

yep, COLD DAYS , you Yankees don't know cold till its 30deg misting rain and 40mph wind

You just described the normal weather here from the first of November through the end of March. I still have an open station tractor. It is called dress for the weather. I would be much more concerned about having air conditioning in the summer in your climate.

AC is for wimps

AC is for wimps? Yet you require a cab tractor on a 30 degree day? Is this the pot calling the kettle black? Just asking. My tractor only has a roll bar which doesn't provide much shade in the summer or shelter in the winter.

Dave":lc9er6kx said:
AC is for wimps? Yet you require a cab tractor on a 30 degree day? Is this the pot calling the kettle black? Just asking. My tractor only has a roll bar which doesn't provide much shade in the summer or shelter in the winter.
My family tree indicates we were designed to handle the heat better than the cold.

I never have unrolled hay so tell what the reason is ?
will they clean it up better and not try to lay on it. One place I have a feeder but the other I just put them out and take the netting off. I don't see very many people around here unroll it, know of a couple that will not even cut the string.

Latest posts