Unrolling hay into rings

Help Support CattleToday:

lucky7chief

Reaction score
Is anybody unrolling hay into rings or some type of bunk? I'm curious if that would reduce waste more than just putting bale into ring. I have a hydraulic unroller for loader that spins the hay off but have not used for ring.

Last edited:
The unrollers that spin the bale off work very good, probably better than the type that just unroll. Not sure you would want to unroll hay into a ring. Generally you only want to unroll what they'll eat in a day.

I can't even figure out how you'd "unroll hay into a ring", or what it means in the first place. Could someone educate me please?

Last edited:
If I'm reading his post correctly he has the type of unroller that spins the bale off. It looks like a regular hay spear but has a hydraulic motor that spins the spear and the hay just sluffs off. I've used them before and really liked it. The hay gets fluffed as it's spinning off instead of laid out like a carpet. I'm guessing he's talking about unrolling the hay this way into a hay ring, doesn't sound like a good idea to me but you never know. I believe the unroller I used was a Work Saver brand called the "spin off"

I can't see where it will work really. I've tossed squares into a ring, and was no better off than sxattering the flakes.

We don't use an unroller. When we feed cows on frozen ground, we set the end bale down peak some hay off in a pile, pick up the bale, move to a new spot and repeat. We have done the same thing with hay in a ring. Dividing a bale between two or three rings.
It works okay, but it can be a pain. We don't do it very often.

The only down side I saw with the Spin Off when I was using it was with big bales and letting too much hay off. We had some 1,500# bales and if you didn't get them centered good or started the hydraulics too quick it would jerk the tractor around pretty bad, this was a 100 hp cab tractor too. Also if you let too much hay off the spinner you had to pull the core off by hand. Not a big deal just something too watch for.

I feed big bales in round feeders - have done so for many, many years. I would think if you put "fluffed up" hay in a ring, you might have more waste. Cows like to get a mouthful of hay and pull their head out to eat it, dropping hay as they chew. Seems like loose hay might get pulled out easier. Don't know. You will have to let us know how you make out.

id say Jeanne has point can remember feeding squares before switch to rounds {yes a very long time ago}
putting squares in feeder i made the mistake of pulling flakes apart cows pulled most of it out wasted half ,but give it a try my father wont be there to to pull leather through belt loops

Latest posts