Unmedicated calf pellets OK?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brett Enright

Reaction score
Hi. I have chickens that can in no way at the present time be restrained from eating any dry food that is left out for calves. Because calf rearer pellets contain medication, chooks cannot eat this (not allowed in their eggs) so I have to only allow access for calves to this at night. Obviously this is Not Good, as it delays weaning (they're still on milk @ 8 weeks old, planning to wean my 2 AngusXFreisan steer calves at 10 weeks. They have (sadly) access to 1 acre grass & this cuts down pellets consumed).

***Can I feed my calves UNMEDICATED Calf pellets, with NO antibiotics, without negative effect on growth? This is currently the ONLY option available, as it won't matter if the chooks eat it too. Will it reduce growth?

Thankyou.
Brett.

Brett Enright":2iu3dsnw said:
***Can I feed my calves UNMEDICATED Calf pellets, with NO antibiotics, without negative effect on growth? This is currently the ONLY option available, as it won't matter if the chooks eat it too. Will it reduce growth?

Thankyou.
Brett.

Yes you can feed your calves UNMEDICATED Calf pelletts, with no antibiotics without negative effect on growth; unless they get sick and are set back for a few days and are loosing wt. instead of gaining. wt.

Brett Enright":15eh6dq7 said:
Thankyou la4angus. Now I've got the go-ahead I just need to find the place to buy it.

Brett.

Why does it have to be pelletts. You can feed a loose frain ration.

Well actually I have pretty much unlimited access to malt combings and malted barley (I know too much can kill) but after weaning they may be solely on malt combings anyway.

I don't know where to get a grain mix, I did buy chook layer ration with all sorts of seeds in it.

I just thought that pellets are easier (although dearer) and are a complete feed - they won't be getting it for long after leaving the milk but!

Are there any alternatives? Is malt combings are good nutritionally?

Thanks
Brett.

Latest posts