Unloading Brahman 20 month old heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

dwrich

Reaction score
Thoughts on transporting and unloading heifers that won't need working, just acclimating. Unload into an acre trap with water or directly into pasture? Two trailer loads - ten in each trailer. Thanks!

Preferably in to pens for a couple days in case some need to go right back. Then to a trap to acclimate to you and the way you do things for 30days. Then to pasture with attention for the next couple of months.

Any time you train animals wether its dogs, cattle, horses... you always start in the most controlled atmosphere. When you are confident you move to a slightly large space with a little more freedom. If they relapse you go back to a confined space... or get rid of them. If they do good you move on to larger spaces. ;-)

I believe I will do exactly what brute suggests - sounds like forward thinking. I do have 60 acres of stockpiled coastal that is fertilized and lush adjacent to the lot. That will be their reward for good behavior.

Brute 23":12rz9hz3 said:
Preferably in to pens for a couple days in case some need to go right back. Then to a trap to acclimate to you and the way you do things for 30days. Then to pasture with attention for the next couple of months.

Any time you train animals wether its dogs, cattle, horses... you always start in the most controlled atmosphere. When you are confident you move to a slightly large space with a little more freedom. If they relapse you go back to a confined space... or get rid of them. If they do good you move on to larger spaces. ;-)

Brute is right on here.
You turn those Brimmer girls directly out in a pasture and you might not see some of them ever again.

Caustic Burno":63n1t6n7 said:
Brute 23":63n1t6n7 said:

Brute is right on here.
You turn those Brimmer girls directly out in a pasture and you might not see some of them ever again.

what they said and I always try and do it as early as possible so I have extra daylight to hunt one that doesn't have the same plan as I do.

And new ones will get out of places your older herd members have never even tested. BTDT--realized that joules and volts really are your friend.

Caustic Burno":1megn1w3 said:
Brute 23":1megn1w3 said:

Brute is right on here.
ive seen em unloaded at what was suppose to be their new home,, but apparently nobody explained the boundries.. because the only thing on their mind, was getting as much real estate behind them as possible :lol2:

I worked for two different managers at the same ranch where we would take in a thousand head of stockers every winter. Under the first manager we would take them straight from the truck and drive them out the gate to water. It was a stampede every time we did it. Twice in five years they got away from us and blew out the fence and kept going.
Under the second guy, we'd unload, throw out a few bales of hay, let them get a drink at the corals while we drove to town and had lunch and a few beers and then came back to cattle all relaxed that we would get back up, push to the water, and ride away. The next day they would just be starting to walk fences and they were so relaxed that there was no push.